When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
I suppose a lot of this conversation goes back to before the gridserve takeover and the replacement of all their old charge points (ongoing).

The issue was never really pricing, the service was terrible and that was the issue. 1-2 slow charge points per location and they were often broken. CCS was also added as an after thought so it’s reliability and availability was poor. The problem is no one else could deploy charge points to compete and potentially push them out of the market because of the exclusivity.

The chargers were some of the first on the market when the leaf launched back in 2010. They were no longer fit for purpose back years ago, let alone 2020.

Now that gridserve are on board the story is very different but that buildout is still ongoing and wider expansion is coming (e.g. rugby)

Soldato
Soldato
So i ordered my Taycan turbo today. This isn't it but its the same spec and color i am going for. Extras to make your eyes water but the first ever car i have ordered new from spec. It feels quite special
Congrats mate bloody nice car! You'll be easy to spot that's for sure :p

Soldato
Congrats mate bloody nice car! You'll be easy to spot that's for sure :p

Thanks, its to replace my Etron and a petrol toy i dont use, going to go all in with my fast cars and get a daily i can use and put through the business :). It doesnt make total sense due to selling a toy i would rather not but is what it is :) rather drive daily something special (imo the spec and car is) than drive something special for a few days a year

Soldato
Thanks, its to replace my Etron and a petrol toy i dont use, going to go all in with my fast cars and get a daily i can use and put through the business :). It doesnt make total sense due to selling a toy i would rather not but is what it is :) rather drive daily something special (imo the spec and car is) than drive something special for a few days a year
What're you selling so we can be really judgemental? :D

Soldato
What're you selling so we can be really judgemental? :D

458 Italia.
The general feeling from me is, i cant use it as a daily due to work, i have done 1000 miles in a year and tbh i can take or leave it. It is special when your in it, It sounds unreal. It makes you feel a million. It also is real lacking in tech, can feel a bit dated at times and needs around 3k a year in servicing and warranty. The taycan will put my toys into the business, tax deductible and i will drive it daily. I dont go far enough to worry about a charge network. Send the abuse

Soldato
458 Italia.
The general feeling from me is, i cant use it as a daily due to work, i have done 1000 miles in a year and tbh i can take or leave it. It is special when your in it, It sounds unreal. It makes you feel a million. It also is real lacking in tech, can feel a bit dated at times and needs around 3k a year in servicing and warranty. The taycan will put my toys into the business, tax deductible and i will drive it daily. I dont go far enough to worry about a charge network. Send the abuse

Love the look of the nee car.

Although in a completely different league, since having the ID3 I find anything not electric just dull.

Again I am in no way comparing but we also have a Skoda Superb which we use for the caravan...I was dead set on wanting to changing up to a nice big 3l towing vehicle but since getting an electric I don't think I can bring myself to buy another ICE...therefore trying to hold off with the Skoda until a tow vehicle comes available with at least 250 mile range!

Caporegime
Thats one very nice car and would be my ideal ev. I bet the option costs soon added up. Nobody charges for options like Porsche does.

I always remember looking at the Touareg/Q7/Cayanne between manufacturers and clearly you are buying the same tech on some of the extras and things like the HUD would be £800 in the VW, £1200 in the Audi and £2000 in the Porsche. The profit margins must be great for them.

Soldato

Yeah i can totally understand and i'd be doing the same in your shoes i think.

Not to the same extent as you but i've run a boring daily and a fun weekend car as there was no realistic way to run the fun car for work but electric really lets you combine it all into 1 package, i could afford it i'd love to get a nice electric car as the performance of even a standard model 3 would be the same/above the fastest ICE i've owned!

Soldato
I've run the i4 M50 through our work scheme and I'm somewhat surprised about the residuals they are predicting. They are worse than I expected, after 4 years and 40k miles they are predicting it'll have lost somewhere close to 63% of its value. The Etron GT loses about 51% and the hyundai Ioniq 5 is 54% waiting to see what the EV6 looks like.

Soldato
So many residuals look extremely pessimistic, i get that it's a new market and is more unknown than an ICE vehicle but just looking at the 2nd hand market for EV's and it really doesn't tally up and i really don't think demand is suddenly going to drop off a cliff in the next couple of years, quite the opposite i'd have thought once momentum gathers.

Soldato
I would have thought depreciation wouldn’t normalise to similar to where ICE is now eventually.

The market is currently in odd state though because of the lack of new cars and the error they made judging the impacts of COVID and ordering components.

Soldato
The residual for the Porsche is very bad also, I doubt it will be that bad. The big issue is how tech may have moved in 4 years. They also dont allow for extras.. I have £35ks worth in the Taycan build at the moment

Caporegime
So many residuals look extremely pessimistic, i get that it's a new market and is more unknown than an ICE vehicle but just looking at the 2nd hand market for EV's and it really doesn't tally up and i really don't think demand is suddenly going to drop off a cliff in the next couple of years, quite the opposite i'd have thought once momentum gathers.

This. I am amazed at the paltry residuals on Taycan none turbos. Last time I looked they had a 3 year old one with 60k miles has have lost 64% of its value. I would happily buy a 3 year old taycan for £30k but doubt I would ever be able to.

Soldato
Are you calculating that by just taking away the lease cost from the car cost? If so, that isn’t really a relevant way of calculating the residual value of the car at retail.

It ignores:
Profit (EVs are currently being milked)
Risk
Cost of capital
Cost of lease admin
Cost of disposal
Extra are normally accounted for fully in the period of the lease (expensive for Porsche)
The lease company will not retail the car, it will just go to BCA or whoever to sell it.
Auction fees
Cost of dealer acquisition
Cost of preparing the car for retail
Used dealer profit.

Back
Top Bottom