When are you going fully electric?

Man of Honour
Heat in an EV is pretty much instant compared to an ICE, especially if they have a restive heater.

Yeah in my truck takes a good few minutes before it starts to warm up nicely - I do at least have heated seats though if it comes to it which warm up close to instantly (though that doesn't help clear the windows in winter).

Caporegime
Audi and BMW both definately use cameras to detect them, they are built into rear view mirror

The problem with patents is they can often be misleading. Your can't patent something really simple as a catchall for someone else doing the same.

I cant see a patent for using speed recognition to control the speed of a car to be something you would gain a patent on. I mean its just two already public technologies, cameras that detect speed signs and cruise control.
The software to do the calculations though would be fine, so the logic and calculations etc would be easy to patent.

Its where a lot of the tech patent wars come from. Someone designs a chip and or software and later it becomes a mass necessity due to a future evolution.

Not sure if anyone linked the Tesla patents, they are quite interesting, some make me laugh, like the prying tool

https://patents.justia.com/company/tesla

https://patents.justia.com/patent/10450177

Exactly, you can;t patent an idea, you can only patent a specific implementation. the grey area is deciding how distinct an implementation has to be for it to be considered different and not patent infringement.

Soldato
if you look at the specific sign recognition patent ref'd https://patents.google.com/patent/US20080137908A1/en
unlike something like the quicksort algorithm (with novelty/unobvious steps), it's difficult to see how a software implementation would circumvent it, and, now seeing it was 2007, maybe audi/bmw pay mobileye

[
ooc the electric cost is the most interesting part modelS - estimated range reduction by the amount of miles per hour.
Baseline (vehicle at rest but powered up): 247 Wh = .74 mph

Defroster (rear window & side mirror heaters): 285 Wh = .86 mph Steering Wheel Heater: 95 Wh = .29 mph Heated Wipers & Nozzles: 95Wh = .29 mph 1 Seat Heater: 57 Wh = .17 mph 2 Seat Heaters: 1cabin reached 108 F quickly33 Wh = .40 mph 3 Seat Heaters: 171 Wh = .51 mph 4 Seat Heaters: 209 Wh = .63 mph 5 Seat Heaters: 247 Wh = .74 mph HVAC at ‘HI’ or 82F (28C): 6.4 kWh = ~18-20 mph

HVAC at 74F (23C): 342 Wh = 1.03 mph
my car battery is only 720Wh, but obv recharged on the go

]

if you look at the specific sign recognition patent ref'd https://patents.google.com/patent/US20080137908A1/en
unlike something like the quicksort algorithm (with novelty/unobvious steps), it's difficult to see how a software implementation would circumvent it, and, now seeing it was 2007, maybe audi/bmw pay mobileye

[
ooc the electric cost is the most interesting part modelS - estimated range reduction by the amount of miles per hour.

my car battery is only 720Wh, but obv recharged on the go

]

Again look at the details of the patent and it even mentions other detection methods (Background of the invention and prior art)
The main drive of that patent seems to be the way its being processed, not the fact there is a recognition of road signs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic-sign_recognition

Soldato
Cost is the biggest factor especially with a baby on the way

I own a is200 2005 yes its getting on a bit but with 80k on the clock it costs me 300 a year to tax about the same to insure yes it guzzles at around 21mpg but its around a tank (75ish) a month for my usage, for the last few years around 200 a year for maintenance for a few bits and bobs that have needed replacing (rear shocks, power steering pump etc)

assuming free tax and cheaper insurance if someone can find me an all electric car that will still run in 5 years time for about 1000 a year including purchase price then ill buy one tomorrow.

Till then ill keep patching the lexus up

Soldato
There is no such thing as a cheap EV at the moment due to high demand and low supply. The used prices are mental, many have appreciated over the last few years which is unheard of outside of classics and exotics.

It’s difficult to make the numbers work against an old ICE but that’s also true for a new more efficient ICE car.

Soldato
I think by the time I get round to buying one you'll be able to convert old cars to electric much cheaper. It's already happening with classics.

That will be where the appreciating cars exist in future. No one will want the EVs around now, because they are ugly. They will want electric converted classics.

Last edited:
Soldato
You have to love it when the priority lies with how 'ugly' something is or isn't, when the sole function of a mode of transport that is safe, efficient and reliable, with cost effectiveness in there for some people as well.

#justsaying

Soldato
Is it even possible to convert a modern car to electric and pass an MOT? I mean realistically that is, the amount of engineering that would need to go in would be immense.

Modern cars have integrated electronic systems controlled by various ECUs that will be difficult to replicate.

I’m thinking things like airbags, seatbelts pre-tensioners, ABS, traction control, power steering to name a few. All need to be installed and working to spec to pass an MOT.

Even non critical thing like heating and air con have to be completely re-engineered.

The reason you can do a classic easily is because it doesn’t have any of this stuff.

Soldato
You can completely remove airbags and TC, power steering etc and still pass an MOT. As long as there are no fault lights on the dash or parts of it left in place. Stripped out track cars still pass MOT tests. There is a weird "loophole?" for some things where if it's just not there it's not included in the test.

After converting it you would get it re-certified anyway. Then it would basically be treated as a kit car.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's not actuallytrue though is it. Putting aside the fact removing the airbag is an utterly terrible idea, if its on the car from new it has to be present to pass an MOT.

The only exemption is if the car has been modified for use in competition rallys which need to be road legal to used on road stages, which means 6 point racing belts, roll cage, bucket seats, no rear seats, fire extinguishers, undercarriage reinforcement, door bars etc.

The above is well outside the scope of a 'EV conversion' and basically destroys any kind of practicality the car had.

https://mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk/when-is-a-modified-vehicle-a-rally-car/

Section 13.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-ins...er-and-light-commercial-vehicles/introduction

Back
Top Bottom