1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When are you going fully electric?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Ricochet J, 23 Aug 2018.

1. McPhee

Soldato

Lights and wipers use a negligible amount of power.

For heating, my Leaf uses about 0.8kW to preheat followed by about 0.4kW to maintain temperature in the current conditions. The biggest loss in range doesn't actually come from the heating. It comes from the effect of low temperatures on the battery pack. If the car has a full battery temperature management system then the loss of range in winter is lower.

With a 32.5kWh battery pack, the Mini only needs to achieve ~3 miles per kWh to hit 100 miles. That's a pretty low target. Summer could be 130+ without any bother.

2. Haggisman

Capodecina

My Zoe shows an active consumption of 1kw when stationary with heating, wipers, heated seats and radio on, assuming worst case scenario, and that's rounded down from 1.99 (I'm not sure how it displays), that's ~8 miles reduced range (based on 4 m/kw)

3. Nasher

Capodecina

AC will use the most power. Problem is you need heating AND AC on in winter to avoid steaming up :D

4. Simon

Capodecina

I don’t ?

5. Journey

Sgarrista

What I am coming to love about this thread is that one of the most prolific posters in here, has zero intention of buying an electric car ever, knows pretty much nothing about BEV's, has never driven a BEV, and in all likelihood would rather be run over by one than move out of the way.

Gotta question the logic of wasting some much time on posting really... ;)

6. Nasher

Capodecina

I'll buy one, once they are as viable as my petrol car.

Last edited: 5 Dec 2019
  7. Yaayuh!

Capodecina

We've done 5x 275+ mile trips down to Cornwall this year, one of which was at a drop of a hat.

If we could depend on a an electric car to cover such trips with little (under 30 minutes) rest-stop for charging, easy/convenient travel charging for when we stay at B&Bs/family's house and for under £300 a month for a family hatchback, then it could certainly be a option for us.

It's convenience and the dependability of traditional fuelling that we need/used to that's more the issue I feel.

Last edited: 6 Dec 2019
  8. Acme

Caporegime

The revised eUP looks great, but I can't say or think the name without it being in a Yorkshire accent. Eh Up!

9. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Capodecina

Yeah but wait until you see the model variants (Gti etc)

The eup chuck
    and eUP pet (in pink)
    the luxury Eup lad ;)

10. Jonnycoupe

Capodecina

Heating is more.

11. Nasher

Capodecina

If VW don't offer "chuck" and "lad" models then they fail :D

12. pcfarrar

Wise Guy

6 months to wait for delivery of my Mini Electric. Dealer said they've had a lot of pre-orders....

13. Skidder

Man of Honour

Nice, they look great. I have the hybrid countryman and love that. Next time hopefully they will have a fully electric ready (as need the bigger car).

14. Nasher

Capodecina

The Mini needs to change its name to The Large.

15. Simon

Capodecina

You need to change your name too

16. jpaul

Capodecina

.. have they updated the aerodynamic of the e-mini ? not that I can see
    most of the other evs have a significant concession there, to get low cd/frontal-area to get min Kw/mile, the mini was already repudiated for its relatively poor mpg ,
    so I don't get it - ok - as a city car where the aerodynamics have less impact at low speeds.

17. b0rn2sk8

Sgarrista

No, it’s the same car but with the drivetrain from a BMW i3 sandwiched into it. The tech is pretty much out of date before it even launches which is a shame.

That said it still looks nice (without the silly yellow paint job) and I’m sure it will still sell well. The i3 did pretty well considering it’s very marmite styling.

18. McPhee

Soldato

The Mini, like the Honda E, is a "city car", which in the EV world seems to be code for "small battery".

Personally, I think it's a bit pricey for what it is. Not sure whether anyone is getting discounts on them, but the OTR price is higher than typical Leaf/Zoe etc. prices.

19. Journey

Sgarrista

Well they are dumping the current Mini design and shrinking it, and going electric from the ground up for the next model. So it will actually be smaller than a truck. :D

20. Psycho Sonny

Caporegime

what car?