When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
without a push to make EVs an actual attractive option

They don't want them as attractive option, until they can ramp up the production. How do you sell something you cannot produce enough of? This is why the Tesla Model Y is going to be a killer product, and pull even more attention away from the failing incumbents.

Man of Honour
They don't want them as attractive option, until they can ramp up the production. How do you sell something you cannot produce enough of? This is why the Tesla Model Y is going to be a killer product, and pull even more attention away from the failing incumbents.

Which is a good bit of why it is hard to take articles like that, which are kind of pointing the finger at the consumer, seriously.

Soldato
Hard to take stuff like this seriously

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50713616

without a push to make EVs an actual attractive option - people buying these SUVs often can't afford the equivalent EV, are put off by the availability never mind any running considerations and smaller EVs often don't suit their requirements.

Same for people who like sporty/fun type of cars. There are no EV options (for non-millionaires anyway). All the remotely interesting EVs are so expensive it's a false economy. Or never made it past the concept or prototype stages.

Last edited:
Soldato
Which is a good bit of why it is hard to take articles like that, which are kind of pointing the finger at the consumer, seriously.

I suppose the media like articles that provide traffic, even the Beeb.

There is so much misinformation and so many 'false truths' out there adding more articles to the Google search isn't going to matter anymore. People chose to be ignorant by not going further than reading an article posted by a media outlet, which in turn are the consumer. So isn't the consumer to blame in some part?

I've enlightened so many people that claimed EV's were rubbish, or I couldn't afford one, or its unsuitable, and most of them got there information from, you guessed it, crap articles on crap media outlet website or newspapers. I even own an EV and have another one on they way, so can speak from experience rather than just nonsense posted by so called journalists.

Soldato
Putting aside the semi click bait title and the clearly marked opinion. All its basically saying is that CO2 emissions are increasing from transport despite the push for electric cars and ever 'cleaner' engines. This is large driven by people buying larger vehicles that consume more fuel and (not mentioned in the article) people ditching diesel. I don't think anyone can deny that and it is largely driven by the market. The car makers tend to build what people want, not the other way round.

Soldato
Yep people keep buying cars like the Nissan Joke as a runaround, instead of small (and much more efficient) hatches like they did last decade. Because fashion statement.

Soldato
I suppose the media like articles that provide traffic, even the Beeb.

There is so much misinformation and so many 'false truths' out there adding more articles to the Google search isn't going to matter anymore. People chose to be ignorant by not going further than reading an article posted by a media outlet, which in turn are the consumer. So isn't the consumer to blame in some part?

I've enlightened so many people that claimed EV's were rubbish, or I couldn't afford one, or its unsuitable, and most of them got there information from, you guessed it, crap articles on crap media outlet website or newspapers. I even own an EV and have another one on they way, so can speak from experience rather than just nonsense posted by so called journalists.

Journalists are in the pockets of ICE car makers.

anyway I’ve an electric car now but I haven’t had a chance to test it on longer journeys. As my day to day tool however it’s amazing

Soldato
new info on ix3
The preliminary numbers reveal WLTP range of more than 440 km (273 miles) using a 74 kWh battery pack (the useable capacity). We don't know the total battery capacity, but we do know that the cells (NCM 811 type) will be supplied by CATL. The energy density on the cell level will be 20% above cells currently used in other electric BMWs.

https://insideevs.com/news/388647/bmw-ix3-74-kwh-440-km-range/

interesting that motor has no rare earths , like model3 and i3 reluctance motors had, I thought ... maybe theyr'e artificial/composite pm's

Soldato
British ambassadors around the world are to have their official vehicles replaced with low-carbon cars in a drive to become "the greenest diplomatic service in the world". The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) has begun phasing out senior diplomats' chauffeur-driven petrol cars and replacing them with all-electric or hybrid Jaguar I-Paces.
The cars cost around £60,000 off-the-shelf, before any modifications for British diplomats’ extra needs.
British embassies in Oslo and the Vatican have already received the new vehicles, with a further 30 posts due to get them by April 2020.

I suppose they have to be loyal , and probably get a good discount , can they be 'hardened' ? ... will JB get an all electric Aston

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...reen-foreign-office-replaces-petrol-official/

Associate
I would love an EV and as a taxi driver it would save me bucket loads. The ranges are doo able for a days work.

However my major flaw is me like millions of other motorists don't have off road parking. This is the most fundamental flaw at the moment otherwise I would be all up for it.

Hopefully manufacturers will look at solutions for this in the future.

Soldato
For the milage I do/wife does a hybrid or a full on electric car would be ideal however I don't see how we could even charge it as no drive, live in a 10 plus terrace block of houses so no convenient way to even put a charge point in

Last edited:
Soldato
I would love an EV and as a taxi driver it would save me bucket loads. The ranges are doo able for a days work.

However my major flaw is me like millions of other motorists don't have off road parking. This is the most fundamental flaw at the moment otherwise I would be all up for it.

Hopefully manufacturers will look at solutions for this in the future.
That's very true, there are many residential roads built before people had cars

Soldato
I've been driving the same Honda Integra Type R since 2007.

I'll be keeping the limited slip diff, cable driven throttle, mechanical gear change, double wish bone suspension, hydraulic steering and optional 9k RPM gear changes as long as possible,plus my car goes up in price every year and not down, and will never become obsolete because it can't get the latest software update, or it's lithium batteries can't be replaced!

Makes a good track day car also, this is me at Oulton in it. Few road cars sound like this any more, let alone when we all move to electric.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJNocpg1pQY&t=44s

Last edited:
Soldato
That's very true, there are many residential roads built before people had cars
There will be alternatives I think. Hydrogen power is one. No need to lug around huge heavy environmentally unfriendly batteries. The technology is still very early in development at the moment and the cars that are available are very expensive. There are few refuelling points too.But 1 to 2KG of hydrogen currently gives a range of 75 miles I think, taking about 20 seconds to refuel for that range (vs 15 mins or so for battery to get a range of 45 miles I think). This could be an option for those without easy access to charge points or who need to cover long distances.

There really needs to be other options because I don't think we'd able to support recharging of battery EV's for a very high % of the vehicles currently on our roads at public recharge points.

Last edited:
Soldato
Old terrace houses in the middle of nowhere will have it worst.

I've been driving the same Honda Integra Type R since 2007.

I'll be keeping the limited slip diff, cable driven throttle, mechanical gear change, double wish bone suspension, hydraulic steering and optional 9k RPM gear changes as long as possible,plus my car goes up in price every year and not down, and will never become obsolete because it can't get the latest software update, or it's lithium batteries can't be replaced!

Makes a good track day car also, this is me at Oulton in it. Few road cars sound like this any more, let alone when we all move to electric.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJNocpg1pQY&t=44s

There are no EVs on the market which interest me. They are all just variations of dull SUVs and hatchbacks :/

Someone needs to make a sporty one with none of the silly gimmicks and analogue controls.

Last edited:
Soldato
Old terrace houses in the middle of nowhere will have it worst.

There are no EVs on the market which interest me. They are all just variations of dull SUVs and hatchbacks :/

Someone needs to make a sporty one with none of the silly gimmicks and analogue controls.

I think in the end we will all be forced to go electric or hybrid. Over the next 20 years there will be driver less cars on smart roads, plus all the cars will be tracked, so there will be no point having anything even sporty unless it's for track days or similar.

So i'm running my Type R as long as I can, I honestly think in 20 years cars like this will be very rare on the roads.

Soldato
There will be alternatives I think. Hydrogen power is one. No need to lug around huge heavy environmentally unfriendly batteries. The technology is still very early in development at the moment and the cars that are available are very expensive. There are few refuelling points too.But 1 to 2KG of hydrogen currently gives a range of 75 miles I think, taking about 20 seconds to refuel for that range (vs 15 mins or so for battery to get a range of 45 miles I think). This could be an option for those without easy access to charge points or who need to cover long distances.

There really needs to be other options because I don't think we'd able to support recharging of battery EV's for a very high % of the vehicles currently on our roads at public recharge points.

they still have batteries. 1kg of hydrogen is about £5. Can’t charge it at home.

please work harder on the sale pitch.

Soldato
I think in the end we will all be forced to go electric or hybrid. Over the next 20 years there will be driver less cars on smart roads, plus all the cars will be tracked, so there will be no point having anything even sporty unless it's for track days or similar.

So i'm running my Type R as long as I can, I honestly think in 20 years cars like this will be very rare on the roads.

We have until 2040 before new petrol cars are banned. But you'll still be able to buy petrol for a long time after that.

I'd never buy a self driving car. The idea seems to have died a bit recently too.

Back
Top Bottom