When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
they still have batteries. 1kg of hydrogen is about £5. Can’t charge it at home.

please work harder on the sale pitch.
You can't charge petrol cars at home either. It;s not about a sale pitch, it's thinking about other options we may have available. The batteries needed in hydrogen powered cars are not to the same level as a battery to electric powered car.
Already if you go to a busy charging station the charge speed can be slower. Imagine the changes required to support 20% of the cars on our roads. The technology will progress but other technologies will too.
Electric from charged batteries is based on very old tech. Right now it's the best alternative.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think in the end we will all be forced to go electric or hybrid. Over the next 20 years there will be driver less cars on smart roads, plus all the cars will be tracked, so there will be no point having anything even sporty unless it's for track days or similar.

So i'm running my Type R as long as I can, I honestly think in 20 years cars like this will be very rare on the roads.

Surely there will still be a point in sporty/fast cars, as you can't tell me that you currently break the law to enjoy driving? Also did you fail to notice that some of the newest fastest cars are pure electric? ;)

Soldato
Surely there will still be a point in sporty/fast cars, as you can't tell me that you currently break the law to enjoy driving? Also did you fail to notice that some of the newest fastest cars are pure electric? ;)

Those cost millions though.

The Teslas are fast to 60, but they are a one trick pony and that is their only trick.

Soldato

What I was referring to was newer cars all have GPS's in them.

Also all the major motorways in 3 years will have 5g on them. I have this from a contact in high-ways and the project is already underway.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can't charge petrol cars at home either. It;s not about a sale pitch, it's thinking about other options we may have available. The batteries needed in hydrogen powered cars are not to the same level as a battery to electric powered car.

FCEV's do make sense in larger vehicles, like trucks and busses etc. In normal every day cars, that cover on average less than 8000 miles per year (UK data), then it makes much less sense, it is almost like what diesel was to petrol in the early 80's. With the uptake of home energy generation increasing, and the ability to provide your own (kind of) free and completely renewable energy that will push the decision for a great deal of people vs. FCEV. I am sure that if it becomes affordable many manufacturers will offer one of two models with FC options, just as you could get a diesel option over a petrol one, for those that wanted it.

Soldato

Also all the major motorways in 3 years will have 5g on them. I have this from a contact in high-ways and the project is already underway.

And..?

How does that stop you enjoying your car, what do you do now in your car that you won't be able to, unless of course you are speeding and breaking the law?

Soldato
FCEV's do make sense in larger vehicles, like trucks and busses etc. In normal every day cars, that cover on average less than 8000 miles per year (UK data), then it makes much less sense, it is almost like what diesel was to petrol in the early 80's. With the uptake of home energy generation increasing, and the ability to provide your own (kind of) free and completely renewable energy that will push the decision for a great deal of people vs. FCEV. I am sure that if it becomes affordable many manufacturers will offer one of two models with FC options, just as you could get a diesel option over a petrol one, for those that wanted it.
It'll be good to see how the future develops. Hydrogen needs a lot of energy to create at the moment so that will need to come from renewable sources too. Solar cells will get cheaper and cheaper which would benefit hydrogen and of course home charging of electric vehicles, providing people are able to install solar panels into their homes (not everyone can).
Governments will need to make up for the loss of duty on fuel so that'll be interesting. I doubt running an EV is going to be cheap when the masses start switching to it.

Last edited:
Soldato

Not sure they will use them to catch people speeding. I don't think GPS is accurate enough for that. It glitches a lot and is only accurate to within a few meters. The nav software is just good at hiding it.

Caporegime
Already if you go to a busy charging station the charge speed can be slower. Imagine the changes required to support 20% of the cars on our roads. The technology will progress but other technologies will too.
Electric from charged batteries is based on very old tech. Right now it's the best alternative.

Hydrogen is a sore spot for some in the EV “community”. It seems to stem, much like hatred of the dealership model, from Musks comments rather than any rational viewpoint.

That said, I agree with Journey that for the average commuter car BEV is the way to go. However for larger, or more specialized, or vehicles in more remote locations Hydrogen may end up being a viable technology. It’ll be that, or a continuation of internal combustion engines and use of biofuels in those applications.

Much like today, the future will likely have a variable mix of energy types powering vehicles, depending on use case.

It’s also worth pointing out that hydrogen may start replacing methane as a heat source in many homes in the UK and around the world in future. Much of it will probably be generated to make use of spare electricity in the grid, rather than using massive battery storage systems. Basically it’s likely to be a lot more prevalent than today and not generated from methane like some of it is today.

Soldato
Have to say I am blown away by the video Bjorn put out about Oslo airport, 727 chargers in one car park, that are free to use when you pay for parking. When you get all these short sighted people asking how they are going to charge, and that there will never be enough chargers, this goes to show that won't be the case when your country bothers to take action.

Soldato
Norway are a bit of an outlier on the global scene though when it comes to infrastructure and governance, lets be honest.

A population comparable to the East Midlands with a $1 Trillion sovereign wealth fund.

Soldato
Have to say I am blown away by the video Bjorn put out about Oslo airport, 727 chargers in one car park, that are free to use when you pay for parking. When you get all these short sighted people asking how they are going to charge, and that there will never be enough chargers, this goes to show that won't be the case when your country bothers to take action.
And we have about 2 public charging spaces in an island that has about 80,000 cars :p and you say about people being short sighted about worrying how there going to charge there car
https://www.gov.gg/article/163101/Guernseys-first-public-electric-vehicle-charging-stations-now-live

And these 2 town parking spaces can be used for normal parking by any electric car even if it not be charged

Last edited:
Soldato
And we have about 2 public charging spaces in an island that has about 80,000 cars :p and you say about people being short sighted about worrying how there going to charge
https://www.gov.gg/article/163101/Guernseys-first-public-electric-vehicle-charging-stations-now-live

Yes, that is my point. There are too few public chargers due to the short sighted attitude of this government, and therefore the public suffer. I think you missed the point of my post, which is that a single publicly used part of the infrastructure can accommodate huge potential, and be part of a solution that will last decades, and costs very little to achieve in the grand scheme.

The attitude of people seem to be one of complaining that it is impossible, blah, blah, blah, rather than looking at what can be achieved with actual effort and forward thinking.

Soldato
The attitude of people seem to be one of complaining that it is impossible, blah, blah, blah, rather than looking at what can be achieved with actual effort and forward thinking.
i stick with the impossible to charge an electric car thinking..

My car parked 200 yards from my house (on street parking)
My work car park has no power
And there only 2 public charging points available in my whole island..

Soldato
i stick with the it impossible to charge an electric car thinking..

My car parked 200 yards from my house (on street parking)
My work car park has no power
And there only 2 public charging points available..

You are exactly the type of person I am talking about, blah, blah, blah. Always looking backwards never forwards, you deserve to be stuck with ancient technology.

Caporegime
For it to work as the long term replacement for ICE it need to be easy for everyone rather than fanboys saying people are negative...

Soldato
For it to work as the long term replacement for ICE it need to be easy for everyone rather than fanboys saying people are negative...

Yes, I think that someone booing the idea that a single airport can have 727 EV chargers and therefore that must be impossible in the UK 'looking forward' is a negative thinker, and defeatist. Which was where this conversation if you look at the post from yesterday above, if a single piece of infrastructure can be shown to allow this, and it has already been achieved elsewhere there is no reason that cannot happen locally, is there?

Also fanboys, hah, we aren't in the CPU forum here. ;)

Back
Top Bottom