When considering memory overclocking, be sure to read about t topology vs daisy chain boards

Associate
Theres a good article about this here:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-memory-tweaking-overclocking-guide/4.html

T Topology offers very little overclocking potential, but superior stability with all 4 slots filled. T topology will in most cases limit ram OC potential even before the IMC does.

Daisy Chain offers better overclock potential with just one channel populated, but fares very poorly with 4 slots filled.

Even better is boards with only 2 ram slots in daisy chain as the signal going between the CPU and ram is much cleaner due to the shorter pathway.

However some manufacturers (Gigabyte) have a tendency to make 2 slot motherboards that are still T Topology, and still detect as having 4 slots in monitoring software which also have no overclocking headroom. A 2 slot board with T topology is a lazy design choice that easily indicates a very low quality board for ram overclocking.

In general, avoid T Topology boards for ram overclocking, and stick to only using two modules. 2x16 Gb on daisy chain should overclock better / run at tighter timings than 4x8 Gb on a t topology board.

You can even get 2x32 Gb kits now, so unless you have a need for more than 64 Gb, there is little to no benefit to having or populating 4 ram slots or a t topology board if you are interested in squeezing out every drop of potential from overclocking.

Soldato
Hmm, I have 4 sticks of 8gb b-die, i was hoping to keep them for a zen 3 upgrade, and hoping to get 3600+ out of them, should i therefore sell up?

These are all with ryzen 2***

I'l wait for 5*** reviews

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom