1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

when do i need construction plan and/or Quantity surveyor

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by itayshap, 21 Apr 2019.

  1. itayshap


    Joined: 21 Apr 2019

    Posts: 2

    Hello all,

    I'm planning to fully renovate a house, turning it to a 4 bedroom HMO
    The renovation will include fully refurbishment of the house internally and externally, upgrading the kitchen and WC's, wiring, heating system etc.
    The building costs will be around 35-40K according to my builder, who based his costs using the detailed plans used for building reg control, but i'm worry that calculating building cost only by visiting the site and using the detailed architect plans won't be accurate.

    usually an architect draw two types of plans:
    1. detailed plan - for planning permission and for building regulation control
    2. construction/technical plans - for the builder - which currently i don't have

    on which kind of project should i need construction plan and/or Quantity surveyor ?
    is this based on it's size, complexity or should i require at least construction plan in any case?

    Thank you,
    Last edited: 21 Apr 2019
  2. Maccapacca


    Joined: 13 Apr 2010

    Posts: 17,675

    Location: Sunny Sussex

    What do you think you mean by a construction plan?
  3. itayshap


    Joined: 21 Apr 2019

    Posts: 2

    there are two kinds of plans in home renovation:
    1. detailed plan used for building regulation and planning permission
    2. construction plan which is more technical used by a builder