When do you set your house alarm?

Permabanned
I have an alarm but never set it at night. My dog will eat anyone who comes in so it's no problem unless he's busy humping the pillow at the time :D

Soldato
my parents set the alarm whenever we go out, and at night as well, but only certain zones, I don't understand the thing really. Many an occasion i've been home alone, set what I thought was the night setting, woken up, and whilst still sleepy opened my door and set the thing off as i've activated the wrong zones.

Soldato
Unbelievablly we paid for a good alarm, then my parents wouldnt put in because of the cat(didnt opt for pet sensors) and then that died then they started using it again. Then the lady up the road died so we inherited a dog, so again its not on. Wouldnt mind if its a big dog, but a fart would kill this yappy little thing.

We have floodlights all round which are apparently the biggest deterrent for night time ham burglars

Caporegime
Captain Planet said:
House alarms are useless IMO, who on earth ever responds to a house alarm?

The stats for burglaries in my city dont bear that out. A policeman showed me stats and only one house in a about 500 burglaries was on a house with an alarm. The police view was they will only attempt an alrmed house if they know what you have and where it is, so they can grab and run.

Man of Honour
When everybody is out of the house during the day and at always at night.
The bog is upstairs and all our points are contacts because I won't touch infra-red (I hear too many false alarms in our street).

I'm surprised you don't set it at night. All burglars know that around 2 am most people are in deep sleep where a nuclear strike wouldn't wake you.

Soldato
We used to put our alarm on at night but don't bother these days, simply due to lazyness :o We always put it on whenever the house is unoccupied though as it is a condition of our insurance.

BillytheImpaler said:
I don't respond to house alarms, the police do. They alarm calls them even when you are not home. that seems to make the difference IMHO.

I don't think house alarms linked directly to the police are allowed in this country, probably due to the huge number of false alarms. I could be wrong though, but afaik you have to have them linked to a private security firm who then confirm whether it is a false alarm or not and then ring the police if necessary.

Man of Honour
I always set mine at night - I isolate the top floors/bedroom/sleeping areas - but everywhere else is armed. There has never been much trouble round our part of the world but why take the chance? When I leave the house and there's no one home I always fully arm it up. It's linked to a monitoring station - which calls the police eventually - though our panic button does go straight to a fast response unit. I guess it makes sense living in London and our neighbourhood watch scheme is pretty decent. There's no point in having one if your neighbours are just going to ignore it though. :)

Soldato
My house alarm is a bull mastiff- rhodesian ridgeback cross , we let him roam downstairs on a night time and it makes the kids feel very secure as he would tear apart any intruder but at the same time he dosnt bark unless he hears somebody.

Suspended
moon man said:
My house alarm is a bull mastiff- rhodesian ridgeback cross , we let him roam downstairs on a night time and it makes the kids feel very secure as he would tear apart any intruder but at the same time he dosnt bark unless he hears somebody.

Remind me to never break into your house :p

Soldato
moon man said:

Wow a rhodesian ridge back is the dog I want! Got any pics of this fella? I bet he's a beauty!

Don
I set mine at night ( downstairs only ) , it is a condition of our insurance policy ( as it is on most that ask if you have an alarm )

Soldato
Captain Planet said:
Wow a rhodesian ridge back is the dog I want! Got any pics of this fella? I bet he's a beauty!

hes a cross with a mastiff as well but we may be getting a rr in the future
12_1.JPG

Soldato
A colleague had his house burgled as he slept a while back. They broke in through the french windows and jammed the living room door with a chair then took what they wanted. He only found out when he got up and couldn't open the door :(

I don't set my alarm during the night, maybe I should.

Associate
I hate house alarms - you become a slave to them.

We have dummy equipment fitted and have extra locks & bolts fitted, we also always keep the side gate locked.

About a year ago almost every house around us was broken into, alarm fitted or not they did not seem to care, the only houses they did not try was ours and another a couple of doors away.

The police reckoned that as we both had blocked their escape routes by locking our gates (all the other houses had unlocked gates) they reckoned that it was too much of a risk for them to try and break in.

Back
Top Bottom