When will people learn to drive manuals!!

Man of Honour
Morba said:
shifting down they all do, its to stop it stalling when slowing down, but stepping up in semi mode ive never experienced (done a fair few miles in them aswell) :/

This one definately shifted up if you didn't change yourself. I specifically tried it. It was a 2006 car.

Associate
Clarkey said:
in the context that they result in laggy changes and the majority of them will shift up if you hold it on the limiter, eliminating the whole 'manual' aspect of it.

As for my ststement being rubbish, thanks, added to ignore list...

The DSG has a laggy change..........mmmmmkay :confused:

Associate
erm him said:
it might be good, but it isnt an auto. Tiptronic, steptronic and all that balls is just an auto with which you can override the gear selection, they are poor at best tbh in the context that they result in laggy changes

Make your mind up.

Che

Che

Associate
Ukadder said:
Autos are fine for hilly areas (they are a lot better in some respects! Hill starts rule as does sitting in a traffic jam on a hill! (yes I do drive one, yes I did own a manual before))
Try going down a long hill constantly riding the brakes, it'll be fun ;)

Soldato
the whole point of that post was to distinguish between the 2 different types, maybe i wasnt too clear.

What I am saying is that DSG, SMG and the like are very good for sporty driving, because they are based on a manual gearbox with some fancy electronics.

Others such as 'tiptronic' are just a regular autobox (which are controlled by fancy electronics anyway) which allow you to decide which gear you want, these are not so good for the aforementioned 'sporty' driving, but will be supremely smooth when driving like a responsible person would ;)

Soldato
Che said:
Try going down a long hill constantly riding the brakes, it'll be fun ;)
there are a lot of auto's on the roads and they dont seem to suffer any of the problems mentioned here with going up and dow hills, they cope just fine it seems. Besides, if you are that concerned about cooking the brakes then you can choose 1, 2, L, or whatever which will provide engine braking for such situations.

Che

Che

Associate
Yeah but I can bet my last dollar that Australia, at least in some parts, is more hilly than Britain. My experience of this comes from being in holiday in Canada and America and going down a large mountain in our stupid automatic hire car. Isn't second gear a little low to drive a long way down a hill? You'd do about 15mph all the way.

Caporegime
if you dont need to be doing that low a speed then whats the problem?
just use your brake as and when needed to control the car.

it may be worth checking the gearing on the cars with only 1,2,L (plus r/d), its likely that its not the same as being in 2nd gear in a 5 speed manual ;]

Back
Top Bottom