Where does my girlfriend stand in all this?

Soldato
If it was me I would just leave and find another job. I know easier said than done but it is the easiet route and will save a lot of hassle in the future with these other people.
This.

Problem is it's not their word against hers as the police were involved, so there's evidence to support whatever it is they're saying whether it's true or not.

Soldato
OP
This.

Problem is it's not their word against hers as the police were involved, so there's evidence to support whatever it is they're saying whether it's true or not.

My girlfriend didnt have a fight with the family though and if my girlfriend was a threat to these people then surely there would be a injunction agaisnt her going within a certain distance to them. Also, she hasnt done anything to this mother and sister ever so why are they getting involved at work. I wouldn't mind if the company asked my girlfriend about previous convictions or anything like that but they never?!?!

Soldato
Would you really go to such great lengths for a job you have done for 2.5 days? I mean just think of the reputation you will give yourself for the rest of the time at the company?

Yes it's wrong but seriously is it worth fighting this tooth and nail?

Do you know how hard it is to find any job atm! Personally i would care how i was being treated so long it paid the bills!

Soldato
My girlfriend didnt have a fight with the family though and if my girlfriend was a threat to these people then surely there would be a injunction agaisnt her going within a certain distance to them. Also, she hasnt done anything to this mother and sister ever so why are they getting involved at work. I wouldn't mind if the company asked my girlfriend about previous convictions or anything like that but they never?!?!
The employers won't want to bring about unnecessary conflict. The mother and sister are existing members of the team and have made the employers aware that there might be an issue with hiring your girlfriend. Their motives are definitely suspect but from the employers point of view they're doing the smart thing.

Soldato
There are fights all the time at school and it would never get as far as the police prosecuting unless it was extremely serious! especially at the age of 14, receiving community service for just a few bruises sounds like BS to me, sorry.

Caporegime
Well the victims family clearly have not moved on, for all we know their lives have been ruined by the previous confrontation and its all speculation as to the seriousness.

After thinking about it she should stay long enough to get a decent reference then get out. Its not worth it.

Caporegime
Would you really go to such great lengths for a job you have done for 2.5 days? I mean just think of the reputation you will give yourself for the rest of the time at the company?

Yes it's wrong but seriously is it worth fighting this tooth and nail?

Depends what the job is, how hard it was to get and how much influence these people with a grievance have there.

If the g/f was employed in say front office at goldmans and the two women were some admin girls then would you not just say **** em.

Obv that's an extreme but if its a job the g/f was very keen to do, wasn't trivial to get and these two bints aren't senior managers then I'd say stick it out for a bit at least. If she can impress her own line manager or the one in the dept she is being moved to then they're not going to worry about the fact some other people in some other dept don't like her. They've had some affect at the start because they've said something (we don't know what) to HR but it might be an idea for the g/f to have a meeting with HR and/or her manager and get her side across and explain that she doesn't have any issue with the other two and is just keen to put it all behind her and get on with her career etc...

Caporegime
Also if you quit a job after a couple of weeks then you'll have a hard time explaining it - simply missing it off your CV isn't going to be acceptable to any companies which conduct background checks and you'll also have to give your P45 to the new employer....

She also wouldn't be entitled to benefits AFAIK if that was something important to her.

Soldato
Petty nonsense really and the HR dept should be more professional & deal with this properly. However, most HR are utterly useless at being professional.

As you GF is a new starter & the other two may be long time employee or be well respected or influential, it seems like she's going to be on the losing side no matter what. I'd suggest that, as she's not much invested in the company, your GF walks away. Or, if it's really worth the hassle, seek formal resolution with HR.

Soldato
She should get HR to arrange a meeting between her and these other two to discuss their 'issues'.

I agree with this. If she requests the meeting it shows maturity to the employer unlike the ones who are still victimising her over something that happened years ago and she took already her punishment for. Tell her not to cry in front of them, instead she should stand her ground and insist that she has done nothing to warrant dismissal or any other action.

Back
Top Bottom