Where does my girlfriend stand in all this?

Soldato
I'd ask for a full explanation from the HR department. They employed her to do a job they clearly felt she was suitable for only a few days ago. Taking this kind of action without speaking to her first is unacceptable.

She should also tell her team leader she's not there for conflict, she's there to work. If the other party find that so difficult to deal with maybe they should "go home".

Everyone involved sounds like they haven't moved on much from being 14 tbh.

Last edited:
Soldato
Arrange a meeting with HR and the manager(s) concerned.

She just has to say that she wants to stay, and that she has no interest in dealing with those women.

If they're willing to lose someone good enough to be appointed for a position over something that wasn't even a criminal matter, then it's their loss.

Soldato
Doensnt sound fair at all. It was all dealt with in the past by the police so its not got anything to do with the company. Id advise getting a small sound recorder for her incase the other girl/her mum says anything to her at work.

The company sounds far from professional if thats what they advised her to do

Permabanned
What rights does an employee have after 2.5 days though (and in a probation period)?

only if its racial or sexual harrassment can you take anything to a tribunal if you havent been there 12 months, so really she has no comeback, they may even sack her for no reason, as your employment rights only really kick in after 12 months service

oh and you dont get community service for a first offence when your 14 either shes lying to you and had a much bigger past or beat the girl near to death!

Man of Honour
It was just a girl fight it wasnt as bad as that

And this is the problem with giving accurate advice in one sided threads.

The way I see it:

She did something so bad she was EXCLUDED from school for it. You don't get that for just a girl fight. So, although you might think it probably wasn't a big deal, the police, the local education authority and the school thought it was a big deal.

Put yourself in the companies position. You hire a new person and then find out that she'll be working in the same team as somebody close to somebody she physically assaulted, resulting in police involvement. Would YOU want that? I sure as hell wouldn't.

The company has been more than accomodating by moving her away from the people in question. It's certainly what I'd have done.

Unfortunately this is a price you have to pay for assaulting people.

Permabanned
[TW]Fox;16718131 said:

The way I see it:

She did something so bad she was EXCLUDED from school for it. You don't get that for just a girl fight. So, although you might think it probably wasn't a big deal, the police, the local education authority and the school thought it was a big deal.

Put yourself in the companies position. You hire a new person and then find out that she'll be working in the same team as somebody close to somebody she physically assaulted, resulting in police involvement. Would YOU want that? I sure as hell wouldn't.

The company has been more than accomodating by moving her away from the people in question. It's certainly what I'd have done.

I agree with fox (shudder)

Shes lucky to not be sacked straight away, as ive said above she has no employment rights so tell her to prepare for the sacking tomoz!

Man of Honour
I'm with anticonscience on this, I would leave and look elsewhere for work. Whatever happened in the past , these women clearly have kept it as a grudge for this many years so I can only foresee conflict time and again in the future with them. Even if this current issue is resolved I doubt they will let it lie and something will just crop up shortly down the road. Imo better to just cut your losses and find something else rather than setting up more stress and conflict in the future.

HAz

HAz

Soldato
[TW]Fox;16718131 said:

The way I see it:

totally agree with this

Man of Honour
As said, I don't buy the "a few bruises" girl fight.

At my secondary a school a lad battered another lad and he was a bloody mess, pretty much knocked him out and teeth missing etc.

That only just went to court and it was far far more serious than what you've mentioned. He wasn't excluded either. (Was age 15/16)

She must have done something pretty bad to get excluded AND have got the police involved.

It puts the company in a difficult position, one lot of employees aren't going to be happy one way or another.

Soldato
Why would she want to work there if those people are there anyway?

Surely this company isn't the only one doing this kind of work, there must be other places she can apply to for similar work?

Soldato
Right, I haven't read the whole thread because I'm going out in ten minutes, but (and this is no keyboard warrior stuff) this is what I'd do.

If it was my girlfriend, I (along with the girls father) would be down there DEMANDING to speak to HR; DEMANDING that the **** stops now; DEMANDING that she's put in her proper role; DEMANDING that the two trouble causers are watched like hawks; and finally PROMISE the HR person that they personally will be looking at legal proceedings if the girls welfare at work is not assured.

I don't **** about.

Man of Honour
If it was my girlfriend, I (along with the girls father) would be down there DEMANDING to speak to HR; DEMANDING that the **** stops now; DEMANDING that she's put in her proper role; DEMANDING that the two trouble causers are watched like hawks; and finally PROMISE the HR person that they personally will be looking at legal proceedings if the girls welfare at work is not assured.

The problem of course lies with the fact the troublecauser is the girlfriend.

I don't **** about.

No, but I suspect from your suggested course of action you wade in without ever really thinking and end up screwing everything up still further. Threatening legal proceedings? Way to play the annoying thinks-he-is-hard boyfriend. What legal proceedings would you threaten exactly?

Soldato
Right, I haven't read the whole thread because I'm going out in ten minutes, but (and this is no keyboard warrior stuff) this is what I'd do.

I don't **** about.

And they say (in an Alan sugar voice) YOUR FIRED

Associate
wouldn't "fight" the company, but rather appeal to their professional conscience: explain that she was looking forward to working in the original job, not the dead-end one, she would like to be given the chance to show she is a good employee, don't want to discuss "bygones" and would behave professionally towards all colleagues

Associate
I might have missed something but just a few things:
1. does she have a criminal record? was this disclosed to the company
2. was this assault actually proven ie. this person guilty/ this person not?

If she does have a criminal record and the company were aware of this: they have no right to move her position based on "hearsay". I would be prepared to take up a formal procedure.

If this criminal record (or guilty proven assault against) was not disclosed, its her own fault for not disclosing appropriately and the company have moved her after being informed otherwise.

If this was just a "girl fight" where no-one was proven "guilty" they have absolutely no right to do what they have and would fight my position formally.

As others have said getting advice from CAB/ acas would be very advised.

Back
Top Bottom