where is the best place to live on the south coast?

Commissario
If you want somewhere adjacent to nice sandy beaches, and not totally fallen off the map (though it is a bit), then the Essex beaches of Walton-on-the-naze/Frinton-on-sea would be a good places to consider (especially if you can't quite stomach Clacton).
The beaches at Walton and Frinton are really nice and there are some cracking properties in Frinton. It’s not cheap though.

Caporegime
Wants low crime rate, you suggest Brighton, does not compute.

Have you seen Brighton lately? I was considering moving there with the other half, but after spending some time there we decided its just not a nice place at the moment, the homeless problem really has gotten out of hand, you'll see at least 5 homeless people smacked out of their heads just walking from the station to the shopping centre.

I went to Uni there and LOVED it but it was back in 2004, there were homeless but don't recall being that bad...Not been back for a couple of years now.

Soldato
I went to Uni there and LOVED it but it was back in 2004, there were homeless but don't recall being that bad...Not been back for a couple of years now.

Its really taken a turn in the last 3 years, I work 20 minutes away from Brighton and am down there semi-regularly, and the general perception is that there are some real problems at the moment and its being felt in even some the nicer parts.

Associate
Wants low crime rate, you suggest Brighton, does not compute.

Have you seen Brighton lately? I was considering moving there with the other half, but after spending some time there we decided its just not a nice place at the moment, the homeless problem really has gotten out of hand, you'll see at least 5 homeless people smacked out of their heads just walking from the station to the shopping centre.

To be fair that's happening everywhere (I'm a long way from Brighton). This winter, for the first time, we've had homeless people (also smacked out of their eyeballs on something or other) bunker down in the flat entrances to our building. I've lived here since 2008 and this winter is the first time I've ever witnessed this.

Soldato
Yeah Brighton is not great nowadays. We visit our friends in Shoreham most years and we used to go into Brighton with them, but now we just don't bother. It's pretty grim. Having said that the homeless problem is getting worse in most parts of the country. Even when I went home (Berks) for Christmas I noticed homeless people all across town - I'd never seen them before in my hometown. What a sad state of affairs this country is in :(

Caporegime
If you're likely to not have any issues with employment then Cornwall is beautiful, for bonus points you get to trigger @FoxEye by being an outside buying a house there. :D

Soldato
To be fair that's happening everywhere (I'm a long way from Brighton). This winter, for the first time, we've had homeless people (also smacked out of their eyeballs on something or other) bunker down in the flat entrances to our building. I've lived here since 2008 and this winter is the first time I've ever witnessed this.

Same where my mum is in the midlands. There’s so many more homeless people on the streets the last couple of years.

She went out to her car behind the building where she works last week and encountered a chap shooting up heroin :(

It’s a pretty small town too, not a big city.

I can also vouch for Sandbanks. That place is insane. A little surreal though, you’d have to be minted.

Associate
Cornwall, Somerset and Dorset are all fantastic counties - I'd love to be able to relocate but would have challenges with work down there - I should just get me a holiday home down there ;)

I'm most familiar with Poole and Weymouth - both are great for water sports :D

Sandbanks is crazy place - it's the preferred destination for footballers and other celebs with prices to match :eek:

Associate
Well we're now living in the Tory / Universal Credit paradise we always dreamed of. Can't be that bad though, our homeless don't push trolleys full of junk around like in the US, the ultimate land of the free and parasitic capitalism without restraint.

What is it with all these new users posting strange threads?

Very good point. Who asks the sort of question the OP did without being a bit established here beforehand? Long-time lurker, first time personal what-do-I-do-with-my-life/where-should-I-live poster?

Soldato
Somehwere a bit out of the way is Highcliffe. A nice place with a low crime rate which is on the Eastern edge of Christchurch. No real traffic problems and it's commutable to Southampton and Bournemouth. There is a mainline train station quite near (Hinton Admiral) for access to Bournemouth, Southampton, Winchester, London. Got a little highstreet with a big small Co op, got a superstore down the road in New Milton. Christchurch is a short drive / bus away too with a bigger high street.

It has a great beach with little cafés, an even nicer beach just to the west (Hengistbury Head) that you can take a little ferry over to see.

It is full of old people though. Like literally only old people so it doesn't really have any character. It's slightly out of the way so not too touristy, they all go to Bournemouth and beaches at Christchurch. And it would probably be quite boring.

It's actually sounding quite attractive to live there now I think about it, for a boring person like myself... hmmm...

Permabanned
Brighton, it is a superb and indie place, one of my personal favourtite places, in the UK and cities in the UK, it has everything, coast, scenery, a huge indie scene and much more, failing that, the Isles Of Scilly.

Soldato
look kids this is how you get to 36k+ posts :D

have a google ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbanks

Average house cost is £664k, average house in the UK is 90m2. Making it about £7700 or $9800 per Sq.M (but I imagine the size of the houses there would skew this down, if anything).

Mocaco - $60,114
London - $34,531
HK - $25,551
NY - $17,191
Tokyo - $16,322
Moscow - $16,021
Mumbai - $15,525
Geneva - $15,495
Vienna - $14,952
Paris - $14,100

Etc.

Doesn't even seem close to top ten?