where is the best place to live on the south coast?

Caporegime
Doesn't even seem close to top ten?

It isn't...

IIRC there was a newspaper thing not so long ago about the top 20 most expensive streets (based on individual property prices) in the UK. The most expensive street in Sandbanks got the no 20 spot...

So it isn't even top 10 in the UK let alone the world. I guess you can switch things around by looking at sq foot but that potentially likely opens up other streets in London with more apartments than houses to some of the top spots.

thanks for the "back to me" i didn't make the claim i asked a question

Odd that you then followed up with a suggestion that I google it and a link to a wikipedia page.

Wants low crime rate, you suggest Brighton, does not compute.

Have you seen Brighton lately? I was considering moving there with the other half, but after spending some time there we decided its just not a nice place at the moment, the homeless problem really has gotten out of hand, you'll see at least 5 homeless people smacked out of their heads just walking from the station to the shopping centre.

I've lived in Brighton for 40 years. You do get a lot of homeless people in the summer months as they migrate here to hit the tourists. They are really easy to ignore, just walk past, or you can be nice and give them a couple of quid to get some smack.

However, I would not want to live anywhere else. It's so nice here. Good weather(sometimes), jobs, Pride, the sea, beaches, nightlife, southern accents.

Soldato
Zoopla puts it closer to £1.4M, which sounds more accurate. Much higher if you look for one on the peninsula.

I just looked and based on the last five years 1.2m does seem more accurate, however again this was based of an average on 90m2.

I just checked some properties to see if this was accurate:

2 bed flat - 78m2 - £565k - £7,243 Sqm
5 Bed Right on the peninula 341 Sqm - £6mil - £14,600 Sqm

Taking an average it's still outside the top ten cities, which includes the cheaper areas (Mumbai for example has a huge disparity, comparitively).

Caporegime
If you're likely to not have any issues with employment then Cornwall is beautiful, for bonus points you get to trigger @FoxEye by being an outside buying a house there. :D
Not quite.

BTL landlords coming down here, snapping up property, buggering off to London = triggered.
People buying 2nd homes here, leaving them mostly empty, paying less/no council tax on them = triggered. (IIRC there was a change in the law but I believe it's still possible to dodge Council Tax on 2nd homes using a shell company).

People coming down here to live, buying property to meet their own needs and living in it... hard to argue against anyone doing that.

Soldato
Somehwere a bit out of the way is Highcliffe. A nice place with a low crime rate which is on the Eastern edge of Christchurch. No real traffic problems and it's commutable to Southampton and Bournemouth. There is a mainline train station quite near (Hinton Admiral) for access to Bournemouth, Southampton, Winchester, London. Got a little highstreet with a big small Co op, got a superstore down the road in New Milton. Christchurch is a short drive / bus away too with a bigger high street.

It has a great beach with little cafés, an even nicer beach just to the west (Hengistbury Head) that you can take a little ferry over to see.

It is full of old people though. Like literally only old people so it doesn't really have any character. It's slightly out of the way so not too touristy, they all go to Bournemouth and beaches at Christchurch. And it would probably be quite boring.

It's actually sounding quite attractive to live there now I think about it, for a boring person like myself... hmmm...

Definitely gods waiting room areas full of old farts.

Check Hinton timetable, think its classed as a minor station now with fewer trains.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys,with your info so far have narrowed it down to these areas....

Truro,Cornwall - for its beauty and isolation for myself but maybe not good for the rest of us haha,is it too far from airports for holidays?
but i do like its central location for beaches and the rest of Cornwall but is Cornwall too quiet to raise a family and is it too cut off for when they grow up?

Sidmouth - thanks Josh,looks nice on Google Earth,should be fine for schools nearby and great location for travel,and its right on the beach.

Weymouth- same reasons as Sidmouth but don't think its as nice as other options? but no idea as i am a northerner haha.

More recommendations welcome though, thanks

Associate
OP
Same where my mum is in the midlands. There’s so many more homeless people on the streets the last couple of years.

She went out to her car behind the building where she works last week and encountered a chap shooting up heroin :(

It’s a pretty small town too, not a big city.

I can also vouch for Sandbanks. That place is insane. A little surreal though, you’d have to be minted.
Sandbanks again eh? i have to visit that place now haha,suppose the wife could get a job looking after the elderly in that big waiting room next door? :)
I think care work wages are good aren't they?

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Sandbanks again eh? i have to visit that place now haha,suppose the wife could get a job looking after the elderly in that big waiting room next door? :)
I think care work wages are good aren't they?

You need to make your trolling less obvious.

Soldato
Thanks guys,with your info so far have narrowed it down to these areas....

Truro, Cornwall - for its beauty and isolation for myself but maybe not good for the rest of us haha,is it too far from airports for holidays?

but i do like its central location for beaches and the rest of Cornwall but is Cornwall too quiet to raise a family and is it too cut off for when they grow up?

Cornwall is a great place to grow up, at least it was for me.

Truro is nice, but pricey (maybe that’s not an issue for you).

While it is relatively central, it also means you have to drive to get to the coast and the roads can be shocking, especially in summer. In fact, even out of season the main roads are bad now.

I used to commute into Truro from Fowey to get to college (we’ll over 10 years ago) and the rush hour through St. Austell and into Truro was bad. I did the same journey a little while ago out of season and out of rush hour and it felt just as congested as it did back then.

In terms of holiday, there’s no escaping the fact that you’re going to have to travel before you can travel — getting a train or driving to Heathrow or Gatwick you’re looking at 4-5 hours without traffic/delays. We always stayed in a hotel near the airport the night before our flight.

I realise I’m making it sound terrible but it’s really not. I believe the benefits outweigh the negatives and I hope to live down that way again at some point.

Back
Top Bottom