Where to get 98 RON?

Caporegime
I was thinking about this the other day, so 95 RON gives you less power. However this only really matters when you're driving at wide open throttle, because if you're driving at 90% throttle and short of a few horses, just open the throttle more surely?

95 RON wouldn't just affect peak power. Its more complex than that.

[TW]Fox;22271272 said:
I'd definately use Super but I wouldnt go to the trouble of seeking out 98, 97 is sufficient.

Agreed. If your visiting relatives or something and need to fill up, theres no point driving all over town looking for a shell station. I'd just buy some regular unleaded and lose a bit of power.

One

One

Soldato
If you'r worried about an extra £230 a year, what on earth are you doing buying a performance car like a Golf V6 4motion ?

But then again, since your past motoring highlights include asking if you can get away with driving without insurance in Europe

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18387567

I shouldn't be surprised.

It's what you think is worth the money. A Price-delta:power-delta ratio. The difference in price for the V6 Golf over a 1.4 Golf for the increase in power is better than the power increase you get for the price of the more expensive fuel. I don't really understand what my knowledge of Europe has to do with anything.

Man of Honour
It's what you think is worth the money. A Price-delta:power-delta ratio. The difference in price for the V6 Golf over a 1.4 Golf for the increase in power is better than the power increase you get for the price of the more expensive fuel. I don't really understand what my knowledge of Europe has to do with anything.

But its not just power it affects, it also increases fuel consumption.

Caporegime
95 RON wouldn't just affect peak power. Its more complex than that.

I'm not sure it is, you can compensate for less power by giving more throttle until the point of max throttle.

I agree that there is an argument to consider over the lifetime of a cars use you could argue you're better off spending the money on a bigger engine and running peasant fuel, than buying a smaller engine and running SUL.

Last edited:

One

One

Soldato
You think running the V6 Golf on 95 RON will mean you use £230 a year more in fuel so it would have been a break-even just to run the 99RON?

You could be right, I'll change my mind if I saw some numbers but to me at the moment it just seems like false economy.

Caporegime
You mean the one on Google street view that has vpower on the pumps furthest from the roundabout?

Wow You actually looked to check

When I went there a few months ago they had no vpower due to issues with tanks meaning they no longer sell it. Maybe google is older than that

Caporegime
I'm not sure it is, you can compensate for less power by giving more throttle until the point of max throttle.

I agree that there is an argument to consider over the lifetime of a cars use you could argue you're better off spending the money on a bigger engine and running peasant fuel, than buying a smaller engine and running SUL.

I can't compensate for the utterly garbage running of my LCRs engine when using regular/95 RON.

You actually looked to check.

When I went there a few months ago they had no vpower tanks due to issues with tanks. I didn't feel the need to confirm on Google

I did, and?

So, basically you're saying that they do have vPower, but didn't for a short while due to a problem at that site? Not really the same thing as saying they don't do vPower is it?

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;22271431 said:
That makes no logical sense whatsoever.

unless his car isn't new enough to advance the ignition for 98 RON fuel and thus he pays an extra 5p a litre or whatever for no benefit.

Thus he's actually doing less miles per £ ?

Man of Honour
unless his car isn't new enough to advance the ignition for 98 RON fuel and thus he pays an extra 5p a litre or whatever for no benefit.

Thus he's actually doing less miles per £ ?

He said poorer fuel consumption. Cars don't advance the ignition for 98 RON do they? I thought they were set up for 98 RON but can retard the ignition for poorer fuel, at the cost of economy and performance.

Caporegime
I can't compensate for the utterly garbage running of my LCRs engine when using regular/95 RON.

I did, and?

So, basically you're saying that they do have vPower, but didn't for a short while due to a problem at that site? Not really the same thing as saying they don't do vPower is it?

It had no vpower signage or fuel nozzles with v power on. It wasn't just bags over the pumps with out of order on. I asked the guy behind the till and they said they hadnt been selling it for about 6 months. I havent been back recently to confirm.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;22271455 said:
He said poorer fuel consumption. Cars don't advance the ignition for 98 RON do they? I thought they were set up for 98 RON but can retard the ignition for poorer fuel, at the cost of economy and performance.

A lot of people work that out by how many miles they get out of their £50 they put in every week, rather than sitting down and doing the proper numbers.

I might be wrong, he might actually have done the numbers and worked out he gets less miles per gallon in which case i'll join you in saying "huh?" :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
[TW]Fox;22271431 said:

It could be true. More octane doesn't mean more fuel economy by default.

More octant is an enabler for fuel economy. Either through hardware/ software or driving style

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;22271431 said:

I don't get it either. It's a 2005 2.0T VAG lump, so it should be capable. I see a 2-4 mpg drop and have done on every tank I've tried over 2 years of ownership. I fill up every week and probably one in four tanks I put SUL in.

The only thing I can think of is the additives to raise the RON reduce the calorific value compared with 95.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Additive treat is tiny and won't explain that much difference. What SUL have you tried.

Direct injection engines may have a different response

Soldato
OP
do some searching, from memory those use motronic me7.5. if so, get an obd lead and lemmiwinks and you can also the ignition timing (globally) for simple easy gains

They use the me 7.1 but lemmiwinks does seem compatible with it. Already got the OBD lead so may have a play with it :D

Only question is.. how do I know if it's knocking? :confused:

Soldato
Me7.5 monitors this in measuring blocks on vagcom, the ecu also corrects the timing on each cylinder so you can see how much is having to be pulled out

Soldato
Only question is.. how do I know if it's knocking? :confused:

You won't as the ECU will adjust the timing for you when it detects any knocking.

Just running a small amount more in advance won't make as big a difference to performance and fuel economy in a normally aspirated car as it does in a turbo car.

If you want to see if it knocks, drive at 2000rpm in top and floor it, you may hear some momentary tinkling while the ECU adjusts, but unlikely if it has already learned how to use 95 ron effectively. If you use 98/97, you can do the same thing to help it unlearn the 95 ron setting and allow the ECU to experiment with more advance.

Back
Top Bottom