1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where would we be without forums/internet?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Phil2008, 7 Mar 2010.

1. Phil2008

Sgarrista

Ive been watching "The Virtual Revolution" and its made me think if the net was never invented, where would we be today.
    1 Would computer hardware be as advanced as it is today.
    2 Would highstreet prices be high for low qual items?
    3 Would we have as much entertainment audio and video tech available to us?

2. cymatty

Capodecina

The Internet is like mobile phones etc, we lived without them and could do again. However we have become used to them in our lives and so they seem like necessity.

1)Possibly not as many people would not need pc's
    2)Probably as it would be hard to compare prices
    3) No

3. Fuzz

Capodecina

In bed asleep with a girl

Well OK, maybe not asleep

4. Gaidin109

Mobster

I'd probably just be down the pub more talking to real people.

5. _TubbZ_

Gangster

Speak for yourself, i would probably hang myself - or go outside and lose my IT tan :cool:

I think we wouldn't be here on the net thinking about the possibility of not having the net :p

1.) With IT development it became important for computers to communicate with each other so i can't see how this would be the case. So surely the question would be, would there be personal computers?
    2.) as cymatty said :p
    3.) not much Pr0n thats for sure :o

6. Nymins

Sgarrista

I was going to say i'd be bored without it, but if it was never invented then i wouldn't know any different.

Tech wise i think we would be less advanced if the internet never existed.

7. VaderDSL

Capodecina

I would read more newspapers for a start :) I find forums great for finding out about the world, fair enough newspapers cover the main stories but digging around various sites allows me to keep up to date on topics I find interesting :)

For instance mt dad buys and reads a few different newspapers daily. I just trawl the news sites online instead :)

8. Apex

Suspended

i'd be fine without the internet and a mobile, i'd just be very poor as most of my business if from gained from it.

without these forums i don't think i'd have as open view on situations as i do. i'm not massively open minded, i just think that i have a fairly good view on things helped by the down to earth, no nonsense people (for instance [TW]fox) that post here.

9. reiyushin

Soldato

Dead

10. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

I'd still be on Bulletin Boards

11. apeZ

Mobster

I discussed this with a friend a while back. We both agreed that the 'internet' was unavoidable... it is a platform of worldwide communication. Regardless of what may have happened in the past, we would have ended up with some sort of system to send information over great distances as well as a place to archive information, much like a library. The Internet exists because it has to exist. At the time, and even so now, sending information digitally and via cable is a logical and achievable solution.

12. Raikiri

Capodecina

A productive member of society, probably.

13. MagicBoy

Capodecina

Some of us are old enough to remember life before the WWW.

1. Yes
    2. No
    3. Yes. It'd be higher quality with all crap that on youtube being submitted to You've Been Framed instead.

We'd be back in the early 90s. Services such as Compuserve and CIX provided dial up access, discussion forums etc.

I suspect people would be doing more work when at they're at work tho! :D

14. GreatAuk

Wise Guy

I general, I would be a much better person, probably done all my homework already, read some book this afternoon, and I'd be in bed right now instead of being on the internet.

1. nope - Internet has made computers much more valuable to everyone, so I doubt as much research would have been invested in computer hardware (at least in the PC sense).
    2. probably - Much harder to find better products/cheaper prices without it... of course there would be magazines, chat etc, but still less effective, I imagine.
    3. probably more - Without internet, I would imagine other forms of entertainment such as cinema, TV, radio etc becoming more popular, resulting in more investment into those areas.

15. d_brennen

Capodecina

We'd be in the eighties!

16. Phil2008

Sgarrista

Some high end speakers you can only get from the net, like B.K.Electronics for subwoofers and XTZ for speakers. would these sort of companies never of existed without the net?

17. K1LLSW1TCH

Caporegime

Or outside.

18. zetec452

Sgarrista

I would probably be out with mates in a pub. Or something like a car mechanic for daytime work.

19. Tefal

Capo Crimine

They would exist, they would just run through small high end audio magazines rather than a website.

20. Ziggy

PermaBanned

I'd be dead. Literally.