Which 2 in 1 Laptop ?

Associate
I am looking at buying a laptop for my son who will use at University.

Originally we were looking at a well built but stylish laptop like a Dell XPS or Lenovo X1.

Having given it a bit of thought, we thought it would be useful to have a pen based device like a table which he can take to lectures and taking digital notes.

That would mean two devices so then started looking at 2-in-1 devices that are laptops that can flip into a tablet and be used with a pen.

Does anyone have any recommendations for good ones ?

Also, any experience of using these?

Is the idea better in theory than reality ?

nam

nam

Soldato
have a look at the lenovo yoga 7 2 in1 with the latest 11th Gen . If he is a Student should get 10% off plus use the recent code on HotDealsUK which gives another £80 off. I was looking at this too but may wait for the Yoga 7i Pro

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
My comment probably arrives a little late, but the Lenovo store is ran by Digital River. For those not in the know their Customer Support is considered by many to be pretty poor.
Hopefully you have no issues - personally I would always buy from a store with a decent reputation.

nam

nam

Soldato
yes they may not have the best after sales support but when do you usually need to call support. in my case I am replacing my lenovo yoga 2 pro from 2014. This is the best I can afford. Dell Xps 2 in 1 for same spec is £1500

nam

nam

Soldato
finally got my yoga 7i 2in1 after 5 weeks with the i7-1165G7, 16Gb and 1TB . Very pleased with the few hours so far. Massive upgrade from my old 4th gen Lenovo Yoga

nam

nam

Soldato
just an update on the 2 in 1 from lenovo. After 8 hours I am not pleased with it. It has the fan being on and loud continously without any browser or intensive tasks. Should not be this way on a brand new 11th gen laptop. It is going back to Lenovo. Going for a dell XPS 13 instead

Associate
OP
That's a shame. We had a similar fan/heat issue with the work Dell Latitudes. Dell eventually issues a firmware update that seems to have fixed it in the majority of cases

Soldato
I’ve just ordered an XPS13 2in1 11th gen i7, 512gb/16gb. Looking forward to receiving it this week.

I want to buy a dock for it but I’m not too clued up on them. I have two monitors that both have HDMI and VGA ports, what dock would be best to connect these, a few usb devices and charge the laptop as well? Can’t anyone recommend anything reasonably cheap? (Sub £100)

nam

nam

Soldato
Look for thunderbolt 3/4 docks they will allow both power and data through one cable which connects to your laptop

I’ve just ordered an XPS13 2in1 11th gen i7, 512gb/16gb. Looking forward to receiving it this week.

I want to buy a dock for it but I’m not too clued up on them. I have two monitors that both have HDMI and VGA ports, what dock would be best to connect these, a few usb devices and charge the laptop as well? Can’t anyone recommend anything reasonably cheap? (Sub £100)

Associate
OP

Has the XPS arrived ? Initial thoughts, particularly the tablet/pen mode ?

Soldato
Has the XPS arrived ? Initial thoughts, particularly the tablet/pen mode ?

It came yesterday yeh. Only had a couple of hours with it but first impressions are that I made the right call going for 2in1 as opposed to standard laptop, very convenient having it stood up on a desk and using it in touchscreen mode, and also lazing around with it too. Fee shust as responsive as an iPad. Whilst I have an iPad which I tend to use for casual browsing, it felt very slick and the larger screen oozes quality. I don’t have a pen yet but I’ll be getting one soon.

Purchased an Anker 8in1 USBC hub which has done the trick for my additional 2 monitors + wireless mouse and keyboard. However, it doesn’t seem to carry enough power to charge the laptop as well which is a shame but no big deal, £25 quid is better than a £150 dell dock.

I’ll be gaming on it through stadia but I may throw a few more local offerings at it in the coming weeks, we’ll see.

Back
Top Bottom