Which aftermarket CPU cooler for LGA 1156?

Soldato
Hey Guys,

My CPU is running a little hot on the Stock cooler:

(Idle [speedfan])

System :45c
CPU: 45c
AUX: 42c
HD1: 33c
HD0: 31c
Core 0: 45c
Core 1: 45c
Core 2: 43c
Core 3: 43c

...I think it is time to get a proper cooler for my i7 860. So does anyone have any recommendations for a solid cheap aftermarket cooler, for up to £30? I probably will be overclocking in the future, but not by an insane amount, and I am not concerned by how loud it is.

Thanks!

ASUS P7P55D Evo
i7 860 @2.8GHz
4GB 1600MHz RAM
2x 4890 CF
500GB HDD
250GB HDD

My first post!

Soldato
You will need to consider your memory's profile when ordering a HSF as some HS have a fixed fan and can compromise large profile memory kits.

These vary from £20 to £30 but all will do a great job.

• Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
  • Gelid Tranquillo CPU Cooler
  • Akasa AK-CC017V2 Freedom Tower
  • Corsair A50 High-Performance CPU Cooler

The Cooler master is the cheapest - but take your pick.

Associate
You will need to consider your memory's profile when ordering a HSF as some HS have a fixed fan and can compromise large profile memory kits.

These vary from £20 to £30 but all will do a great job.

• Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
  • Gelid Tranquillo CPU Cooler
  • Akasa AK-CC017V2 Freedom Tower
  • Corsair A50 High-Performance CPU Cooler

The Cooler master is the cheapest - but take your pick.

All good, I spent the extra £5 for the Tranquillo, good quiet cooling and reasonable to fit. Some people also suggest spending an extra £5 for another fan on the Hyper 212 to make it push pull.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies guys! Will I see a noticeable increase in cooling power if I went for the CM Hyper 212 plus with an extra fan for Push / Pull?

How would Fan 2 connect to the motherboard? I have used all CPU (1) and Chassis Fan (2) connectors, so If I connected it to a 4pin Molex via an adapter would the different speeds of the fans create pressure problems?

Associate
Thanks for the replies guys! Will I see a noticeable increase in cooling power if I went for the CM Hyper 212 plus with an extra fan for Push / Pull?

How would Fan 2 connect to the motherboard? I have used all CPU (1) and Chassis Fan (2) connectors, so If I connected it to a 4pin Molex via an adapter would the different speeds of the fans create pressure problems?

Just get a splitter.

Back
Top Bottom