Which bike next for me?

Soldato
1640supermoto4ot.jpg

I still think I'm right you know :D :p

Soldato
great advice said:
Gixxer 600 over the R6 for me, but only just. The Gixxer is slightly bigger and i find it handles better :)
Agreed, I know I'm biased as I own an GSXR600 (K2) but after riding an R6 I found the frame too small and it didn’t seem to balance with the power of the bike (if that makes any sense).

With the GSXR being larger I found it easier to throw about and feel like it suits the power better.

Soldato
I'm assuming you're going to restrict any of these bikes to 33bhp (or are you planning to break the law?) If so I'd reccomend an sv650s, there's no point in buying a high powerewd sports bike if it's going to be restricted to 33bhp. I'm currently a year into my 33bhp restriction and whilst it's frustrating I'm happy to be riding legally. My Honda 350CB S cost £600, puts out 33bhp and does 0 - 60 in <5 seconds, top speed approx 100mph. Group 8 insurance - just got a quote of £168 for this year! In 12 months when my restrictions up I can get any bike I want (ZX6R here I come :D ) and should hopefully have 4 years NCB (so insurance shouldn't be too bad.) Anyway my point is that my bike was cheap, is a LOT faster than a 125 (I know I've been riding for a few years now and have owned a 125), cheap to insure, cheap on petrol (50mpg if you don't cane it, 25 - 30mpg if you do) and most importantly is legal to ride during the two year 33bhp restriction period. Now I'm not suggesting you aren't going to get a 33bhp restriction kit (which costs around £200 and for some reason often puts an insurance premium up) for a 600+ bike but I know a lot of people don't bother...Anyway I've blabbed on for too long, just have a think about it.

Soldato
OP
toy_soldier said:
How much was the insurance on the CBR 125? I would like a bike although all my family would hate me for it. Also what do you need to ride a 125 at 17 just your CBT?

I am paying £715 at the moment, TPFT with e-bike, that was back when I had a provisional and CBT only and also a claim.

As for the problem of the family, my family werent keen on the idea of me getting a 50, then when I suggested a 125 they said no for a long time but came round eventually. After passing my test now they know they cant stop me at all so they are pretty supportive of me getting a 600, they keep warning my that I will have NO money left.

McHaMmEr- I am planning on restricting it yes and I know it will take all the balls out of the machine, but when my 2 years are up I can just remove them and get on with it, I think if I got an SV I would just want to buy another bike again. At least with a sportsbike I will be able to keep it for another couple of years after my restriction period is over. The whole idea of spending lots now suited me because I said I wouldnt change bike for a long time to come.

Soldato
I still think you'd be best off with the SV. Bikes don't really depreciate it that much, so it won't matter if in a few years you're bored and want something else, your not going to lose huge amounts. I also think that even if you get the gix or r6, you'll want to change it in a few years, just for something a bit different, or newer. IIRC, the SV will probably work the best being restricted, being a torquey v-twin. I think you might be a bit safer at 17 on an SV too.

Soldato
Freefaller said:
How about a Thundercat?! ;) :D

The man speaks the truth ;)

Built to compete with the CBR600 but released a bit late to really do that, the Fatcat albeit a little bit heavier was still being made up until 2003, and has a torque curve that would scare any R6 away ;)

At 95bhp its a really capable bike that is also easier on the insurance than the R6 which was supposed to be the sportier alternative.

However personnally i would have the GSXR600 over the R6 and that is purely down to the fact that the GSXR600 is one of the most forgiving bikes around and more than a match for any 600 out there, if you want an even better alternative that will probably be cheaper still, then go for the 98 SRAD version, coupled with the chassis it was a cracking bike that was very easy to ride :)

Man of Honour
Sounds like insurance is causing you a lot of hassle. :( Why not try other companies? Buy a copy of Bike magazine or similar and look at the insurance ads at the back.

L Plate - glad you approve! :D It really is a thoroughly underrated or ignored bike, a few little tweaks and mods and you've got a 100+ bhp, good handling and touring sportsbike.

The GSXR is in my opinion is a top bike too (probably one of the best 600s out there), but really all these bikes are going to be like chalk and cheese compared to the 125.

The SV650 is a cracking bike too though, and really if it's going to be affordable, why not just ride this for a year and get used to the bigger bike?

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the comments, I really appreciate everyones input, I made this thread in the hope for an overall winner but I am still as confused as ever, the thing is, although the R6/CBR will be quite steep on the insurance I can afford it just about. I have worked out that come the weekend I will have almost £3k to play with, that will have to buy the bike and cover the insurance upgrade. I think it will cost about £150-£200 to upgrade my current policy.

I am finding it hard to come across many SV's at all, I am after a fully faired blue one if at all possible, there are a few on ebay but they are a bit steep, they want almost £3,300 for a 2003 model.

Soldato
toy_soldier said:
I would have thought a 125 did more than 50mpg if some cars can manage that :eek:
My old restricted DT125R (12.6bhp :( ) could only manage about 25mpg! Although it was a two stroke, I dread to think how bad it would have been derestricted...
I've been thinking, isn't a high powered 600cc sportsbike going to be horrible to ride with only 33bhp. I believe most of them develop the majority of their power high up the rev range (which you won't have access too when it's restricted) so it's going to be very frustrating to ride (constant gear changes?) An SV (or anything with a V-twin engine for that matter) is more likely to develop a lot of low end power (which you will have access too) meaning it's a lot easier/more fun to ride. I realise the sv650s's are quite pricey but they will hold their value well and you shouldn't lose much in two years. Then when your restriction period is up you have a whole new bike too look forward too (rather than simply increasing the power of the bike you've been riding for two years.)

Last edited:
Associate
GSXR SRAD one of the 99ish models. Lovely bikes and go like stink. Even if you restrict it, it will be great fun. The person earlier who was whinging about being parp when restricted doesn't have a clue, hes just jealous that he decided to get a cb350 :p. Anyway, go and look at as many as you can, might even be able to blag a test ride (tis possible at 17, mate managed to get a bandit for an hour). But at the end of it, just pick which you LIKE best, doesn't matter if its got worst specs etc its about what you LIKE.
Alex

Soldato
AlexG12 said:
Even if you restrict it, it will be great fun. The person earlier who was whinging about being parp when restricted doesn't have a clue,
I've had a go on a restricted 600 SRAD and all I can say it was far from fun, more like bloody dangerous!

A bike of that size/weight does not suit having it's engine restricted, honestly can't see the point of it, if you need to restrict a bike to be able to ride it then you will be better off finding a bike that was designed to have a smaller engine.

Soldato
AlexG12 said:
GSXR SRAD one of the 99ish models. Lovely bikes and go like stink. Even if you restrict it, it will be great fun. The person earlier who was whinging about being parp when restricted doesn't have a clue, hes just jealous that he decided to get a cb350 :p
If you say so, you sound like an expert so I won't argue...

Soldato
Hmm why have you discounted the 3 most popular 600's?
No expensive plastic to repair. Just as fast as there sports counterparts but the wind blast keeps you at legal speeds :p
Cheap to buy and insure and tuned for better midrange so the restrictor kit makes less difference .
I like the SV for its noise and handling but its abit slow . The gsxr is lovely as is the r6 but there just abit to balls out . Plus when i was getting quotes i was seeing almost double over my Hornet compared to sportsbikes :confused: (at the ripe age of 37)
Plus by the time you have done yer year or so you will want summit new i would guess .

Persil

Soldato
OP
Well what with the forums going down we have lost some of this thread. I will use this opportunity to give an update.

I am still very keen on the CBR600F i have come across, insurance upgrade for 6 months if £133. I have said that I will only spend a max of £2k on the bike, I have the money and thats all fine. There is a bit of a problem, there is someone else bidding for the bike too, now I dont want to go over £2k at all, but I do realy want this bike. The seller said that when the other guy came to view the bike he said his max was also £2k and would stick to that figure, so I dont know if I should now just bid £2k and be done with it in the hope he doesnt outbid me a bit more. Or should I wait another day or so until I can see what the bike is going for then.
Argh I dont know, after getting all excited about this bike I think I am setting myself up to be a bit dissappointed and probably have to look around a bit more for another good buy.

Associate
Looks like a nice bike you've got your eyes on there mate but dont think i'd rush into a 2k bid straight off. It will give the other guy time to think about stretching his budget maybe?! could you get the guy to take it off auction if you slipped him an extra 50 quid?

Let us know how it pans out anyway...

Soldato
OP
Well, he said if the guy from yesterday didnt seem too interested in it he would just end the auction and let me have it for £2k, but obviously this other guy does seem interested and it isnt fair to end it just because I have the money ready for him.

I will keep you all posted on my progress :) The auction ends tuesday, so its all fingers and toes crossed at the moment.

Last edited:
Associate
Looks a very nice bike. Love the look of the CBRS. Quite a few miles, not to bad though, as its a Honda the engine is bomb proof :D
Good luck with it!
Alex

Back
Top Bottom