Which bike next for me?

Soldato
lukechad said:
Well, he said if the guy from yesterday didnt seem too interested in it he would just end the auction and let me have it for £2k, but obviously this other guy does seem interested and it isnt fair to end it just because I have the money ready for him.

I will keep you all posted on my progress :) The auction ends tuesday, so its all fingers and toes crossed at the moment.

Just do a bid for like £2010.56, that way if the other guy does £2000 you still win it and the amount extra will be not much more.

Soldato
OP
Well good news folks, I am still the high bidder, my CBR125 which is for sale on ebay also met its reserve which means I may be able to afford another £100 or so just to seal the deal :) I have got a feeling there are one or two people out there who are just holding back until the last day for it, well luckily (again) I have the day this auction ends off work so I can be on ebay watching how I do, if i win at 12:36 I will be straight on e-bike and updating my insurance and going straight over to Leicester to collect it :)

I will keep you all posted.

Soldato
All this talk of restriction and it didn’t even occur to me that because of your age you will need to have the bike restricted.

So if you can’t ride these bikes as they were designed to why are you buying one? Surely you would be better off with a smaller bike or awaiting until you can ride them fully powered???

Soldato
OP
Because I want a bike which will last be long after the restriction period is up. I have set my heart on this CBR now and dont want to look at other bikes, I have had weeks and weeks of thinking about which one will be best for me.

My uncle will be riding the bike back from Leicester for me and the local bike shop will be restricting it on the day (they know me quite well and will do it for me as soon as I buy).

All that needs to be said now, as me and freefaller both agreed, is when are we planning "OcUK Bikers Meet 2006"?

Soldato
But you won't be able to ride it unrestricted for another 2-3years (is that correct?) And if you still have it after this amount of time (assuming it's not stolen/crashed) surely you would be bored of it?

Associate
Bored of it, so when you eventually whip the restrictor off you'll be instantly un-bored of it. It'll be like a new bike :p Whats the maximum possible restriction you could have? 2 years?

And i like the sound of an OcUK bikers meet. Why let peeps with 4 wheels have all the fun :)

Soldato
OP
^ Exactly my friend :) Details will be posted in a few weeks time, its got to happen in may/june time whatever happens really :)

Yes I am on a restriction period for 2 years, (well, 1 year 11 months now for me). I dont want to have the hassle and the cost of getting a new bike in a few years time, this is probably because its what most of my mates have done and I just want to follow :)

Associate
Shoei said:
Kawasaki stopped making the ZXR400 a few years ago, they were one of the few to carry on building sports 400's.
The 400's will run rings round the likes of the SV and Bandits on the twisty stuff.

Robb

I'd consider that a challenge! An SV is very capable in the twisties, has a good amound of low down torque. I can keep up with 600's on twisties on mine. Yes they lose me on the straights but on twisty country roads an SV is a good match even for a 600.

Soldato
Duradrum said:
I'd consider that a challenge! An SV is very capable in the twisties, has a good amound of low down torque. I can keep up with 600's on twisties on mine. Yes they lose me on the straights but on twisty country roads an SV is a good match even for a 600.

you have obviously never been head to head with a sports 400 then ;)

it will eat the SV alive around the twisties and that is a guaranteed promise, you really should try having a go on one ;)

Soldato
CBR600 is a good bike, I like the colour scheme on it. Keep up with most bikes on the road too.

These restrictions always seem to 'fall out' too :)

P.S. a 400 would most certainly kill a SV650 on corners and mostly on the straights too, Lovely bikes so underated it's untrue.

Associate
L Plate said:
you have obviously never been head to head with a sports 400 then ;)

it will eat the SV alive around the twisties and that is a guaranteed promise, you really should try having a go on one ;)

I used to have one ;) NC30.

Soldato
Duradrum said:
I used to have one ;) NC30.

You of all people should know that the category of bike you are talking about is one of the most successful bikes at any track, the agility of the 125's and 250's and the power through the corners of the 600's ;)

The SV650 with its twin engine is not a Aprilia or a Ducatti by any means, yes its tractable but its not a match for a competently ridden 400 through the twisty stuff :)

Speaking from experience (as i have an L4 ZXR400 aswell as a Mille and a ZX9R) the ZXR400 is the best fun i have had since the RS125 :D

Associate
jmp said:
Wait to get some more ncb before being stung. My ZXR400 will keep up with most people riding 600s, only falling being when racing straights. Its a 93 but it looks well for its age, unlike the vfr/cbr400s which look horribly square!

http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/coppermine/index.php?cat=10017

Pah, the NC30/35 are a design classic ;)
Problem ive found is big bike holds me up through corners then i loose it on the straight, only to catch it up on the twisty bits.

Luke, out of curiosity, whats the insurance like for you on a sports 400?
They will teach you a heck of a lot about cornering and keeping up high corner speed.

Robb

Soldato
OP
I am not sure but I would bet its going to be in the region of £600 for TP, maybe FT as well. I have 100% decided now that I can afford a CBR and a CBR is what I will be getting. Tomorrow hopefully too :) Auction ends for it at 12:30 lunchtime tomorrow, if I win I will go onto e-bike and upgrade my insurance and pop straight over there to collect it :)

Soldato
OP
*sniff*

The bike has gone over £2000 which was my original limit, I can possibly stretch to £2200 once Ive banked some postal orders today. I need to make a few calls and see what I can do, I have about 2 and a half hours to sort everything out and get back here ready to put in a last bid before it ends.

Back
Top Bottom