Which bike next for me?

Soldato
OP
Shoei said:
Get a chain oiler for the cbr luke, saves a lot of time and hassle and money.

It came with one mate, it works a treat too :)

Ollie's Gadgets said:
Congratulations on the new bike. Out of interest what was the old HONDA CBR 125 like to ride? What kind of 0-60 mph would it do? What was the top speed? Could it hold NSL? Thanks.

0-60, well, i'd guess about 11 secs but I never timed myself, to ride it was very nice, the only let down was the thin tyres so it was quite limiting to how far you could push it. Top speed, well mine touched 87....once, never again, god know what stresses that engine was under at 11,000 rpm. It will hold NSL no worrys mate :)

Right then, time for an update on the new bike, so far I LOVE it :) I have managed to scrub off the chicken strips you will be pleased to know L Plate :p It has so far handled every corner I have taken no problems, its not the time of year to really push it, I am still the envy of my mates and get lots of looks at work, quite satisfying :)

Soldato
lukechad said:
Right then, time for an update on the new bike, so far I LOVE it :)

That's what it's all about buddy :D I'm going down to Wales tomorrow to hopefuly pick my new machine up. It's gonna be one long haul back to Edinburgh I can tell ya :eek: :D

Soldato
OP
I have been looking at these ABBA stands, a mate of mine with an RVF has to use one obviously as its a single swinger. I do have a paddock stand but it was a bit scary to leave the 125 on there so no way will i trust it with this bulky bugger which is double the weight of the 125.

Associate
Had my Firestorm sat on the ABBA stand for about 3 or so months with out any problems. Great since it doesnt load the suspension.
My mate borrowed my ABBA stand so he could take the engine out of his T595.
Currently got the NC on the ABBA plus a front paddock stand so i can take all the plastics off.
Plus if you change the bike, fitting kits for different bikes are only £11 from ABBA. Well worth the money since they are so easy to use.

Robb

Soldato
Abba stands are well worth it, Got mine for £20 from a mate :)

Held my bike like this for just over a week
kawasaki-zx6r-99-bikepics-471458.jpg

Soldato
I dont know what everyone is worried about with paddock stands, they work fine, i dont have any problem supporting the bike completely with them.

And Mousemat, tell it as it is, that Abba stand isnt supporting the front of the bike is it, you have a car jack wedged precariously under the engine the same as anyone else uses when they have an Abba stand and no real way of keeping the front lifted ;)

Abba stands are fine if you want to play around with the rear end of the bike, especially where suspension is concerned, but a paddock stand will do the same job.

The only thing to say about paddock stands is just dont get one of the cheap flimsy ones, Micron's and Oxford's are more than up to the job.

Soldato
Abba stand will do a much better job than any paddock stand, First off it's a one man job (I know you can do a paddock stand with one but its a bit dodgy) It's much more sturdy, doesnt load the rear suspension so can be used to remove the rear shock and can be used to remove the swingarm (with some adaptors).

It does everything a normal paddock stand can do and much more, plus you'll never have to buy a new one again.

Anyone who thinks the Abba stand isnt worth it clearly has never used one.

Soldato
where did i say its not worth it?

so you would say that sticking a small car jack under the front is as stable as a paddock stand?

I think you are confused here slightly, the abba stand is a good option, but an expensive one for what it actually is, i am not too sure what the benefits of having an abba are though for everday use, its only benefit over any other stand is that it does leave the suspension unloaded, but i never feel the need to actually mess around with the suspension every time i need to put the bikes up on a stand either ;)

And anyone that whinges on about a paddock stand being unstable has obviously not invensted in a decent set, they are rock solid especially when used with a front headstock lift ;)

Oh and why would you ever need to buy a new paddock stand?

Soldato
Some bikes dont have the bobbin holes, other bikes cant take the cup adaptors, normal ones certainly dont work on single sided swingarm bikes.

My bike has a scottoiler which connects through the bobbin holes and the other side uses it for the hugger, not a fault of the paddock stand as such but it's hard for me to use a paddock stand due to the scottoiler, It's either to far back making it even more unstable.

The cost of a decent Paddock stand and decent headstock lift will most likely be £90+ too, Same as a Abba stand. It was pretty stable with the car jack actually, the Abba stand stopped most sideways movement.

I cant think of one thing a paddock stand can do that a Abba stand cant but I can think of meny things a Abba stand can do that a paddock stand cant.

Associate
L Plate said:
you have obviously never been head to head with a sports 400 then ;)

it will eat the SV alive around the twisties and that is a guaranteed promise, you really should try having a go on one ;)

You obviously haven't either. A well ridden SV will beat (FWIW, if you want to race on the road that's your prerogative) a 400. Maybe the people you've 'raced' on SV's haven't actually been racing? :)

Whilst not as sporty as a 400 an SV650 will be a hell of lot comfier on the road, also if it's restricted the SV will still have bags more torque, again making a better ride.

Back
Top Bottom