• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

which card,got a few in mind

Soldato
8 gig of RAM with a non 64bit OS is a complete waste go for 2 x 2 Gb but you might aswell go for the 64bit version anyway.

the 5770 will be a good upgrade.

I wouldn't bother cross firing your current card.

You could probably pick up a cheap quad core CPU Q6600 or Q8000 series 2nd hand with the saving on not buying the extra 4gb RAM and sell your CPU for £30.

That would give you a decent upgrade for about £140 happy days :)

Associate
OP
right after some searching and writing down stuff and a few hours later i got a few things in mind

firstly the ram yes i dont know how ive lasted this long but then as i say i hardly use it for gaming, for example just played cod 4 for like 10-15 mins the game is slightly boring now! then played lfs for 20 mins which i get 100-120 fps so its not a demanding game

so for cpus
Q6600
or Q8300

as for ram got my eye on this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kingston-Hype...erComponents_MemoryRAM_JN?hash=item2306785f55

then the cooler
as above the artic 7 i saw that looked quite nice

but saw these too looked them up and both have good reviews,
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400110533265&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400109424453&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

i like the first one better but just to many decisions at once to lay down a plan!!!
oh also got some diamond 7 on order too, but have some artic cermice stuff already, just see the diamond 7 had a better review

and i bloody missed that card went for £46!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and i also plan to lap the cooler and cpu if it needs doing.

Last edited:
Soldato
For CPU cooler, I really think you should just stick with Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. I recall reading review that although the Arctic Freezer Xtreme is 'supposed' to be improve over the old Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, its cooling wasn't particularly good, and cost more too.

The thing about universal CPU cooler is that most of the time they would be extremely good cooling for one type of socket, but poor cooling for 1 or 2 other sockets. This is why it's better to stick with a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, since it is a socket 775 specific CPU cooler.

Oh and those Kingston rams are decent ram, but from my experience the prices of ram would shoot sharply toward the end of the auction.

Also, it is against OCUK forum rules to post link or mention the name of that auction site, or any other stores, I'd edit and remove those links if I were you.

Associate
OP
ok thanks for that info.only problem i see with the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro is there push clip fitting with no back plate. also the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro is Only compatible with Single CPU motherboards or at least thats what it says!

im not arguing the rules what so ever but how do people talk about products show others what is good etc and say for example ive found this on xxx site what do you think?

any way just thought of another question if i do go with the 64bit win 7 and i get 4gb now is there any reason why i couldnt run 8gb later on? people above have said there's no point of getting 8gb

Last edited:
Soldato
ok thanks for that info.only problem i see with the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro is there push clip fitting with no back plate. also the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro is Only compatible with Single CPU motherboards or at least thats what it says!

im not arguing the rules what so ever but how do people talk about products show others what is good etc and say for example ive found this on xxx site what do you think?

any way just thought of another question if i do go with the 64bit win 7 and i get 4gb now is there any reason why i couldnt run 8gb later on? people above have said there's no point of getting 8gb
Sorry...I'm not sure what exactly what you mean by 'Only compatible with Single CPU motherboards'...there are not many people uses dual-CPUs motherboard...almost all stardard motherboards are single CPU. I've been using Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro with my Q6600 with no problem at all for over 2 years now.

As for product reviews, uses reliable sources is all I can say. You need reviews by people actually testing it is a well-laid out structure, not just some random users saying its good.

As for memory, 4GB is more than enough for gaming. People that need 8GB of ram are those that do image, photo and audio editing etc...which require huge amount of ram.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
ah sorry i see by the means of single cpu mother board as in one cpu on the board and not by which i ment single core cpu!! i have read reviews ie toms hardware, frosty tech and looking on the manufacturers website,

Back
Top Bottom