Which case?

Soldato
Wow!

What a great mod idea, get a giant transfer sticky of Coca Cola or something, would look quite cool!

You know you want to! :D

Associate
OP
Silly question I know........if I purchase the two Akasa fans and replace them with the ones provided with the Lian Li case, how do you install/check them to insure that the front fan lets air in and the rear fan lets air out?

Thanks.

Associate
Big Dee said:
Silly question I know........if I purchase the two Akasa fans and replace them with the ones provided with the Lian Li case, how do you install/check them to insure that the front fan lets air in and the rear fan lets air out?

Thanks.
There are two arrows on the edge of fans. One indicating rotation, the other air direction.

Soldato
Yeh very easy to read, or you just stick a small peice of paper on the open side and see which way it blows. :)

Akasa Ambers have little arrows, although some older fans do not have this.

Associate
OP
Hi again,

I think this will be my PC build with the PC7+ (as recommended with the 2 Akasa fans):

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17582511

But having seen some other pictures of the V1000+ case on the web, I think it looks very nice (as everyone says) and with my PC spec it may make it worth the extra investment.

I know Yewen did not recommend this case as a first build but if I did choose the V1000+, what things would I need to do?
Change the fans to something else (please be specific so that I can look it up on OcUK).

Is the cooling on V1000+ as good as PC7+?
Is the build that much more difficult on a V1000+?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of V1000+?

Thanks.

Soldato
v1000+ would have the same fans as the PC7+.

You can't have a motherboad that uses heatpipes, and if you can try not to get a modular PSU, if you do want a modular PSU you have to remove space for 3 hdds giving you a capacity of 3. (Not a issue as if you need 4+ hard drives then you should not be using modular in the fisrt place.)

Cooling on the v1000+ varies from terrible to better than the PC7+, but still behind the Eclipse.

The build is easier in a v1000+, only tricky thing is the front panels as the instructions tell you the 5" bay plates come down and out, after you remove the bottom one. You have to do that or you risk damaging the case. Nothing bad about the build, or build quality on the whole case.

Its a great case, I used a v1000 and then my current case which is a v1000+ since release; I think overall they are the best case around taking into acount my taste in looks and the price, which at the time was £180.

Now onto the problem with the v1000+, not a big one but would put some people off. Fans; there is no right or wrong way to install them, some PC's run better with the rear as a intake (mine) and if you run it as an exhaust it just sends the temperatures soaring on the graphics card. Some people have it the other way round; all depends on your rig.

The issue comes in that you may have to spend half a hour or so turning fans around so you get the case cooling ok, you can add me to msn and I can give you a rough idea of what should be best, you can knock 5/6 deg of a air cooled rig with the fan placement. Again may not make a diffference as I have rigs that don't really care, and some that scream to me because they are cooking, change the airflow and wolla they are cool.

I could list the pros now but my fingers are cold, there are to many things to list but on the v1000+ Lian Li went all out with the little touches, it is a superb case and I have yet to find a review of it getting anywhere near the performance I get out of the case. :p

To give you an idea, the Eclipse fanboy WJA96 has a modded v1000b+ as his main PC case if I remember correctly. ;)

Associate
OP
Please see my comments ###

v1000+ would have the same fans as the PC7+.
### Are you saying that the V1000+ and PC7+ come pre-installed with the same type fans _and/or_ that the Akasa Amber fans need to be fitted to the V1000+, just like it was suggested for the PC7+ ?

You can't have a motherboad that uses heatpipes, and if you can try not to get a modular PSU, if you do want a modular PSU you have to remove space for 3 hdds giving you a capacity of 3. (Not a issue as if you need 4+ hard drives then you should not be using modular in the fisrt place.)
### I'm confused. I assume that you've seen the post about my PC spec and you think that I cannot have the Arctic Freezer 64 attached to CPU as it will affect the PSU?
Would you mind clarifying this as I don't completely understand? otherwise I may have to get another PC spec done :(

Cooling on the v1000+ varies from terrible to better than the PC7+, but still behind the Eclipse.
### How comes the cooling varies? does it depend on the components used or the quality of the build ?

The build is easier in a v1000+, only tricky thing is the front panels as the instructions tell you the 5" bay plates come down and out, after you remove the bottom one. You have to do that or you risk damaging the case. Nothing bad about the build, or build quality on the whole case.
### I build/assemble routers for the internet, do you think this will be a problem for me? are instructions enclosed about the panels?

Its a great case, I used a v1000 and then my current case which is a v1000+ since release; I think overall they are the best case around taking into acount my taste in looks and the price, which at the time was £180.

Now onto the problem with the v1000+, not a big one but would put some people off. Fans; there is no right or wrong way to install them, some PC's run better with the rear as a intake (mine) and if you run it as an exhaust it just sends the temperatures soaring on the graphics card. Some people have it the other way round; all depends on your rig.
### My PC will be located in the corner of the Study on the floor, just under the desk. What do you recommend about the fan directions for the front and rear?

The issue comes in that you may have to spend half a hour or so turning fans around so you get the case cooling ok, you can add me to msn and I can give you a rough idea of what should be best, you can knock 5/6 deg of a air cooled rig with the fan placement. Again may not make a diffference as I have rigs that don't really care, and some that scream to me because they are cooking, change the airflow and wolla they are cool.
### What do you mean by "turning fans around so you get the case cooling ok"?

I could list the pros now but my fingers are cold, there are to many things to list but on the v1000+ Lian Li went all out with the little touches, it is a superb case and I have yet to find a review of it getting anywhere near the performance I get out of the case.
### Thanks for your feedback. I'm a bit worried now about my PC spec and need to be sure about what I'm buying and that it all fits together properly.

To give you an idea, the Eclipse fanboy WJA96 has a modded v1000b+ as his main PC case if I remember correctly

Associate
Yewen said:

In the v1000+ the motherboard is upside down from normal, this means that MOTHERBOARDS (NOT CPU coolers) with a heatpipe cooler for the chipset canno t be used as the heatpipe does not work upside down. The freezer 64 will be fine.

I'm sure you will be able to work out the front panel thing fine, if you have problems just ask Yewen for help.

Big Dee said:
What do you mean by "turning fans around so you get the case cooling ok"?

Depending on the graphics card(s) it is sometimes best to have the rear fan blowing cold air onto the gfx cards, conventionally the rear fan is usally an exhaust fan.

Big Dee said:
Are you saying that the V1000+ and PC7+ come pre-installed with the same type fans _and/or_ that the Akasa Amber fans need to be fitted to the V1000+, just like it was suggested for the PC7+ ?

I would replace all the fans with ambers if it was my pc, they will be much better than the stock fans

Associate
OP
Thanks Mikey1280.

So if I decide to stick with my decision to buy the PC7+, then there are no "heatpipe cooler" installation issues, right? (see my pc build link above).

To make life easier, I may stick with the PC7+ as a first build.

Soldato
Mikey1280 said:
If you're getting the a8n e ultra then it will be fine in either cases as it has an active cooler (one with a fan)

Yup, and get a pair of Akasa Ambers with the v1000+ as said.

Everything has been cleared up, I really am nit picking about everything as you did ask! You probably would not notice if I had not have said, it is a very nice case to work with and your spec looks very nice.

I would start with running two intake fans and no exhausts with the rig in your spec thread. :)

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Big Dee, here is a picture of my Lian-Li II.

It doesn't have any bezels at the moment, but I'm going to be eventually buying two CD-ROM bezels, a floppy bezel, a Lian-Li fan controller in silver and a 3.5" to 5.25" converter to place the fan controller in, so you can use your imagination! :p

Please excuse the cables and rubbish furnishing, I don't have much of a choice as it's my student accommodation! ;)

I will also be replacing the front 120mm retail fan with an akasa amber and I will keep the back 120mm fan as I really love the glow it gives off at night from the back.

PC2.jpg

If you would like Big Dee, I can go take a photograph of my flatmate's case as he bought the same case as me in black as he was so impressed with mine.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi Guys, sorry for the questions :(, I just want to avoid build problems.
Yemen, you're not nit-picking, it's me asking silly questions

Well it seems I can choose either of the cases without problems, which is good.

How does the air get out of the PC7+ case if both fans are letting air in?

Back
Top Bottom