• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

which cooler for i7 920

Associate
mates getting i7 920 cpu, I have a c2d with a tuniq tower but he says its too big so we cant decide what cooler to get or even whether to stay with standard

which one offers the 'best' cooling, case is an akasa eclipse 62

wont be overclocking (or at least for a while)

he is moving from a c2d using stock cooler

cheers fella's

Associate
OP
titan fenrir was one we looked at, not sure how big they are, will take a look at the sharkoon

tbh he has plenty of room as its a decent size case (compared to my soprano)

Soldato
The eclipse mounts the power supply directly above the cpu socket. If the psu has a 120/135mm fan in the base it relies on drawing air up from around the cpu socket. A tower heatsink blowing front to back and the psu are likely to fight each other for airflow, making this one of the few occasions I'd recommend a Corsair H50. The 920 will hti 4ghz on this relatively easily.

If his psu draws air straight through then ignore the above, and a TRUE/megalahems/titan fenrir will do nicely. Big heatsinks are good btw, and will fit in the eclipse easily.

Soldato
That's one of the ones which draws air up from the socket then.

This isn't automatically a bad thing, I used a TRUE with a psu much like that one in an eclipse and temperatures were good. I did worry about airflow interference though.

Associate
OP
cheers chaps, I think seeing the tuniq in my case put him off but after reading these posts he has relented and is gonna order the tuniq tower extreme

Associate
Don't get the Tuniq extreme - it's out performed by cheaper coolers like the Titan Fenrir.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom