• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which CPU Cooler For Your Ryzen 5000?

Associate
i've bought the Alpenföhn Gletscherwasser 360 High Speed CPU Water Cooler - 360mm from overclockers for cooling my 5900x when it arrives.

Associate
5800X with this ;)

ACtC-3fe5e5vxaNuuIkbQ7mklA9ta6xvg4FfMMC3OIAgMIWNUqiib8A5o0Gt9U_t-Rp1jdfoCA1sr0DEZuXZoL8p9duxiGSF9DoL7YAm0c5W_aOzLUytFC9J7kTp1Ve55-J9ZeumF-DnkiAGZ3-Mdw2KV9tTgg=w703-h937-no

uQN4KE9Khvj1EFAb6

Associate
Ordered an Arctic Freezer 2 420mm AIO for my 5900X, waiting for the cpu to arrive in the next few days, the AIO is a behemoth though so im expecting good things.

@LtMatt you fitted your 420 yet? If so notice much difference over your 360? Im coming from an EVGA Clc 280 on a 3800X, will be interesting to see the difference in Thermal performance

Caporegime
Ordered an Arctic Freezer 2 420mm AIO for my 5900X, waiting for the cpu to arrive in the next few days, the AIO is a behemoth though so im expecting good things.

@LtMatt you fitted your 420 yet? If so notice much difference over your 360? Im coming from an EVGA Clc 280 on a 3800X, will be interesting to see the difference in Thermal performance
A few C cooler, but the fans are 140MM vs the 120MM version so they move more air for less noise, slightly. Very nice cooler.

About to post some badass single thread Cinebench R20 and R23 scores.

Associate
I went with the Asus Ryuo 240, it is keeping my current 3600 cool and never going about 70 Degrees, When my 5800X arrives will do some more tests....

EYo1yrpZ0CZMn4wsPxs4qpIBNJWeNYUU1bkQ-_cTDVYrEg
UNKqqpN.jpg

Even managed to mount it in correctly ;)

Associate
My Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420mm arrived yesterday, my first though upon seeing it was I'm going to need a bigger boat!

Haha yeah mine was "Woah Big Chungus" Then my Aorus Master 3080 arrived and its the size of a breeze block, PC equipment is supposed to shrink year on year not expand lol

Associate
Looks huge! It may just be the photo perspective but I'm wondering if that'll fit in my Fractal Meshify C...
it's big, it'd cover whole ITX board, that's why I'm sticking to full ATX so it doesn't look ridiculous ;) and you don't need to worry, I'm on Fractal Define C, which is basically Mehsify C but with solid front and it fits. Only hard part is to connect CPU 8 pin plug without removing the cooler, I prefer to install the heatsink before putting mobo in case and it took me few minutes.
Also if you're going to add 2nd cooler and you have higher ram then you'd probably have to stick to 120mm one. 140/1500mm are going sit so high that you're not going to close your side panel.

This would be my pick (nh-d15). I have an NH-D14 still in use on my 3700x.
it's holding strong, as long as you don't push it with AVX it'll keep at around 80C in synthetic benchmarks, Cinebench R20 ~80, OCCT with small fft (SSE, no AVX) around 85, gaming around 65C, overall I'm happy.
Of course AVX or increasing power limits will push it to 90, there's no cooling I think, air or aio that could keep up with 5800X pushed to the limits.

Last edited:
Associate
It is massive. Measure up if you do buy one. I had to remove the front fan and stick with the one in the middle as it was protruding when I downscaled my case.
oh, that's why I went with 15S, it has better compatibility while performance is within 1C margin to full 15, and you can still add this extra fan

Soldato
OP
5800X on its way, coming tomorrow/Friday. I thought I'd placed a ghost order with a competitor but they updated me today, looks like it was actually in stock (£450).
I need to shift into gear and get a suitable cooler.
Been looking at BQ Pure Rock 2. May be a bit too low-range though..

Associate
it's big, it'd cover whole ITX board, that's why I'm sticking to full ATX so it doesn't look ridiculous ;) and you don't need to worry, I'm on Fractal Define C, which is basically Mehsify C but with solid front and it fits. Only hard part is to connect CPU 8 pin plug without removing the cooler, I prefer to install the heatsink before putting mobo in case and it took me few minutes.
Also if you're going to add 2nd cooler and you have higher ram then you'd probably have to stick to 120mm one. 140/1500mm are going sit so high that you're not going to close your side panel.

Fitted one of these on my new build today, the only other thing I'd note is if you need to remove a large graphics card after the cooler is fitted, it's a bit awkward to do without removing the cooler.

Back
Top Bottom