• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Associate
Hi, I built my PC around a year ago and am looking to upgrade my CPU, i currently run a ryzen 5 1600, GTX 1070 and have 16gb ram. I mainly play siege and used to get around 180 FPS which is important to me as i use a 165 HZ monitor. But an update released about a month ago suddenly dropped my frames to 120 at max on 1080p ALL LOW settings with a 1070! which lead me to believe that my CPU is bottlenecking my 1070 so decided it was time for an upgrade. I've been reading around and have come across 3 CPU's that seem good for me, I7 8700k, ryzen 7 1700x and ryzen 7 2700x. But i'm not sure which is the best for me, im looking to possibly get into streaming soon and people have said that the I7 would be better for that but that would require me to get a new MOBO and everything. Please let me know what you would recommend.

Thanks,

Matt

Soldato
Look at your CPU and GPU usage while you play siege and see which is at 100% and causing the bottleneck. It will also give you an idea of the tolerance before the other begins to bottleneck.

Associate
The fact that it was working before fine and after an update does not explain that your cpu is being bottle necked. I would first check your monitor settings to make sure your refresh rate is the correct one for your monitor. I would also check the game settings to see if an option is being used that is affecting your frame rates.

Permabanned
Install NZXT Cam. run the overlay in games.
it will gave you info on FPS, CPU/GPU load and ram usage in real time.

What was in the update, have you looked at the patch info, developers have been known the FPS lock games if High rate are causing problems.

are you overclocking the CPU or GPU? if not this is a good time to, overclock one at a time and see if it helps.

Caporegime
high hz lower res you want intel at the moment but ...not much point in upgrading as we are in a transistion place for cpus at moment. with new amd cpus on the horizon in summer. if they can match the ipc of the intel chips now and have more cores thats what to go for. if not take your pick of intel chips.

Permabanned
Hi, I built my PC around a year ago and am looking to upgrade my CPU, i currently run a ryzen 5 1600, GTX 1070 and have 16gb ram. I mainly play siege and used to get around 180 FPS which is important to me as i use a 165 HZ monitor. But an update released about a month ago suddenly dropped my frames to 120 at max on 1080p ALL LOW settings with a 1070! which lead me to believe that my CPU is bottlenecking my 1070 so decided it was time for an upgrade. I've been reading around and have come across 3 CPU's that seem good for me, I7 8700k, ryzen 7 1700x and ryzen 7 2700x. But i'm not sure which is the best for me, im looking to possibly get into streaming soon and people have said that the I7 would be better for that but that would require me to get a new MOBO and everything. Please let me know what you would recommend.

Thanks,

Matt

What was the update? Graphics driver or... ? Uninstall the update!

Associate
OP
Install NZXT Cam. run the overlay in games.
it will gave you info on FPS, CPU/GPU load and ram usage in real time.

What was in the update, have you looked at the patch info, developers have been known the FPS lock games if High rate are causing problems.

are you overclocking the CPU or GPU? if not this is a good time to, overclock one at a time and see if it helps.
Ok, i tried this. My cpu seems to be almost always hovering around 90 - 100% in game and my gpu around 70%, there are times when the gpu rises to around 90% as well but usually its around 95 for cpu and 70 for GPU. My CPU temp seems to stay around 50 degrees so i could overclock it a little without it getting ridiculously hot but am not really sure how to. Would you recommend this and then when i get the money together i can just buy a new CPU? Which out of the 3 i listed would you go for?

Associate
Try overclocking your cpu or hold out till summer when the new AMD chapis are due and should offer a drop in upgrade so no need for a new board.

If you streaming then wait till then as 8 and 12 core chips at low(ish) prices are due and that will really make a difference.

Permabanned
Yes, up the game gfx setting to max. This will pit more load on the gpu and less on the cpu.

1700x or 2700x would be my choice of upgrade. Get the x and the cpu will overclock is self, also its just a drop in upgrade, there about 125 used.

Permabanned
Ok, this almost sounds counter intuitive but i will try it, would going to 1440p be better as well?

I don't see why not but I haven't tried that my self.

I k ow it sound strange but it's true, my gf as a lowend I5 that run at 100% in games until you turn them upto ultra, and the load drops to around 80%

When the gpu is less than 100% load its keeps making requests from the cpu for more info.

When a game is struggling people turn down setting some times you need to turn them up..

Last edited:
Associate
OP
1700x or 2700x would be my choice of upgrade. Get the x and the cpu will overclock is self, also its just a drop in upgrade, there about 125 used.
How much of a performance difference is there between the 2? Is the 2700x worth the 100 £ more? I would have to wait longer before i would be able to buy it but if it is a significant upgrade in performance then im sure i can wait with the overclocking and if the max settings help then i could wait to get more money to get the 2700x, or would they perform almost the same?

Permabanned
Same cpu just one as an igpu. I am told the 2700x will run cooler and clock about 5% higher, I would get a 1700x. But you must get the X

There is systems where XFR clocks higher than manual overclocking

Clock your cpu to 4ghz on all cores and see how you get on, if you can wait for the 3000 cpus I would.

Associate
Same cpu just one as an igpu. I am told the 2700x will run cooler and clock about 5% higher, I would get a 1700x. But you must get the X

There is systems where XFR clocks higher than manual overclocking

Clock your cpu to 4ghz on all cores and see how you get on, if you can wait for the 3000 cpus I would.

It sounds crazy to upgrade a cpu just cos of a recent game update when the same cpu can hold up against a faster gpu.

https://i.imgur.com/mvkAGRl.jpg

op, check out this vid . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJHVqZMEtH4

Caporegime
he uses a high hz monitor . people are missing this. to get the best out of your card you need to be about 4.4-4.5 ghz which amds of current gen just arent going to do on avg. wait till summer then upgrade if its a big deal.

Associate
he uses a high hz monitor . people are missing this. to get the best out of your card you need to be about 4.4-4.5 ghz which amds of current gen just arent going to do on avg. wait till summer then upgrade if its a big deal.

Except the issue happened after a game update. Looks like you intentionally skipped that fact. Heck, even a faster gpu is fine with the R5 1600.

Soldato
High hz and 1080p you want fast clock speed like Intel. Just not worth it currently given next gen ryzen and pcie4 is so close. 120fps is more than playable at virtually any level.

Back
Top Bottom