which cut of the beef make the best steak?

Soldato
Nothing wrong with it as such, just sirloin, rib eye and filet are so much better, more juicy, more tender and more tasty, they also don't come from the cow's rear :p it all depends how good the cut you get is though.

Associate
Out of about the 18 different types, here are the best 4 in numerical order:

1. Fillet or undercut. The most tender meat - only 1 percent of a carcass is fillet.

2. Sirloin. Next most tender.

3. Rump. Ideal for frying, little cooking needed.

4. Topside. Muscle from the top of the leg. Cook slowly, it tends to be tough.

Obviously, people have different preferences :p

Last edited:
Permabanned
Raymond Lin said:
Saw in Sainsbury today

Rump Steak - about £3.50 for 2 massive pieces
Sirloin - £4 for half the size of the Rump
Fillet Steak - About 2 inches thick but only 3 inches diameter, £5 ish
Ribeye 21 days mature - £7 for the same size as the Sirloin.

Is it the more expensive the better? I usually just get Rump Steak, a balance between price and the size of the beef you get.

What do you prefer?

T-BONE DAMNIT!!! :mad: :D

just shoot the cow, wipe its bottom and put it on my plate please. :D

Sirloin or fillet. Preferably dry aged for 28 days. Like it used to be before supermarkets forced butchers into having to stop doing it on cost grounds. Try it sometime and you will taste the difference.

Associate
Lt. Manlove said:
Out of about the 18 different types, here are the best 4 in numerical order:

1. Fillet or undercut. The most tender meat - only 1 percent of a carcass is fillet.

2. Sirloin. Next most tender.

3. Rump. Ideal for frying, little cooking needed.

4. Topside. Muscle from the top of the leg. Cook slowly, it tends to be tough.

Obviously, people have different preferences :p

This is correct.

locutus12 said:
T-BONE DAMNIT!!! :mad: :D

just shoot the cow, wipe its bottom and put it on my plate please. :D

T-bone is a beef rib, whch is basically bone, Sirloin, and Fillet in one go. :)

Soldato
FACT

Most people buy the wrong steak!!!

Look for steak with a good marbling of fat through the flesh... when its cooked, this melts and is what makes the meat tender, if you buy bright red meat with no marbling it will be tough...

Fillet is the best by far, butterfly it, and try to eat it as rare as you can...

The more you cook steak the tougher it gets, but this is a taste thing..

I like mine blue..

:D

Soldato
Im a chef, Head Chef at that. Been in catering 16 years so unless someone out there is a super butcher or has more experiance than me, I am perhaps the most experianced nut case here to give advice.
Now fillet is the best cut of beef there is. But as for quality, well you get good and bad fillets like you do everything else in life.

Just make sure it looks a nice red bloody colour, not dark red though. No signs of fat within the steak and you should be fine.

When you cook it, if you are going to cook it medium - well done, then dont buy a fillet, just buy some cheap crap beef and use that as most of the flavour will be gone through all the cooking process.

Fillet is best served rare - medium rare. The blood adds to the taste. Granted not everyone likes blood, but im not meaning that it is dripping with blood.

And Dr Who:
You said "when its cooked, this fat melts and is what makes the meat tender"

Think you may be wrong there

Soldato
Magic_x_uk said:
When you cook it, if you are going to cook it medium - well done, then dont buy a fillet, just buy some cheap crap beef and use that as most of the flavour will be gone through all the cooking process.

Fillet is best served rare - medium rare. The blood adds to the taste. Granted not everyone likes blood, but im not meaning that it is dripping with blood.

Damn straight. How anyone would want well done over a rare steak is beyond me. Rare = full of taste. Plus there's nothing like moping up the blood after you've eaten it with some chips or whatever is to hand.

Back
Top Bottom