which cut of the beef make the best steak?

Soldato
Magic_x_uk said:
Im a chef, Head Chef at that. Been in catering 16 years so unless someone out there is a super butcher or has more experiance than me, I am perhaps the most experianced nut case here to give advice.
Now fillet is the best cut of beef there is. But as for quality, well you get good and bad fillets like you do everything else in life.

Just make sure it looks a nice red bloody colour, not dark red though. No signs of fat within the steak and you should be fine.

When you cook it, if you are going to cook it medium - well done, then dont buy a fillet, just buy some cheap crap beef and use that as most of the flavour will be gone through all the cooking process.

Fillet is best served rare - medium rare. The blood adds to the taste. Granted not everyone likes blood, but im not meaning that it is dripping with blood.

And Dr Who:
You said "when its cooked, this fat melts and is what makes the meat tender"

Think you may be wrong there

Was a prep chef for a year and you are spot on. :)

Caporegime
Magic_x_uk said:
Im a chef, Head Chef at that. Been in catering 16 years so unless someone out there is a super butcher or has more experiance than me, I am perhaps the most experianced nut case here to give advice.
Now fillet is the best cut of beef there is. But as for quality, well you get good and bad fillets like you do everything else in life.

Just make sure it looks a nice red bloody colour, not dark red though. No signs of fat within the steak and you should be fine.

When you cook it, if you are going to cook it medium - well done, then dont buy a fillet, just buy some cheap crap beef and use that as most of the flavour will be gone through all the cooking process.

Fillet is best served rare - medium rare. The blood adds to the taste. Granted not everyone likes blood, but im not meaning that it is dripping with blood.

And Dr Who:
You said "when its cooked, this fat melts and is what makes the meat tender"

Think you may be wrong there

Fancy coming over to mine and cooking me a steak...god that has my stomach rumbling even though i just had a nice chicken breast sarnie:p

Soldato
Magic_x_uk said:
Strange, Beef is best after it has been hung for a while. Aging or hanging beef allows flavor to develop and gives enzymes a chance to break down tougher flesh creating a superior ,firmer meat. A minimum of ten days aging is recommended for beef with 30 days being optimum.

perhaps you didn't mean Beef ? or you just like looking at eyeballs on tables ? :p

lol I knew someone would pull me up on that.

Yes, i do prefer aged beef. What i meant is that when you go sometimes you can see cows stood in the yard, and you know that the steak you buy was stood there some weeks ago.

Back
Top Bottom