• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which dual core cpu?

Soldato
Im in the market for a new cpu I recon. I mostly use my pc for general browsing/photoshop/3DS Max and Oblivion(Most of the other games I play would probably manage on a 486 :) ) So ive decided im probably going to go down the dual core route. Now the question is which one to go for? Im basically after most bang for buck and I will be overclocking whatever chip I end up with. Ive got a MSI K8N neo4 Diamond, which has a stable HTT up to about 310-315ish. Due to this Im guessing im best off with a chip with a multiplier of 10 or over? Am I best going for an Opteron 170 or going the X2 route? I really dont want to spend much over £300, although im hopefully going to try and pick one off the MM.

Associate
From what I've gathered from the forum:

Opterons: If you get a good mobo and a good stepping of CPU, then you'll get an amazing result

X2: Don't OC as well as opty but are already a a pretty high clock speed and so don't need OCing as much.

I'm getting my X2 4200 tomoz with an Asus A8R-MVP. If ya want, I'll report back on how blistering amazing it is over my AMD XP 2000 (Current CPU)

Back
Top Bottom