1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which DVD-ROM drive?

Discussion in 'Optical Storage & Writing' started by Aidoscuz, 31 May 2006.

1. Aidoscuz

Hitman

I'm looking for a new DVD-ROM drive since my current one just died yesterday. OcUK sell three models, so does anybody know which one I should go for out of these?

Asus DVD-E616P1
    Samsung SH-D162
    Sony DDU-1615

Thanks

2. senorstealth

PermaBanned

To be honest i wouldn't bother witha DVD-Rom drive, with the price of burners its almost as cheap to get one instead, as well as generally better at reading damaged disks.

If you want to explore this option the
    NEC ND3550
    is a good bet, cheap £24 and NEC make good drives (i have a CD-RW 8 years old, and a DVD-RW 2 years old still both going strong)

However there is no real difference in the drives you have listed

3. Aidoscuz

Hitman

Thanks for the reply. I've already got a DVD writer (NEC 4450) so I think I'll just go for the Sony DVD-ROM to save a bit of money. As you said there's probably very little difference between the models anyway.

4. senorstealth

PermaBanned

The only thing you want to look out for is multi region support, some may have it other will not

5. poltergeist666

Gangster

Having looked at trying to find a faster reading DVD Rom drive, I reached the conclusion that they are all pretty much the same on specs, none of the ones I looked at, go above 16 x read.

For the little extra that it cost, I also ended going for another writer.

6. Unromantic__Me

Gangster

Nothing wrong with having more than one burner...grab a second one...no harm having another just in case

Id recommend the BenQ 1640 over and over again, have two of them in mine, never had a problem once

7. MeatLoaf

Capodecina

Ive got 2 burners in my pc, at least if you have problems burning a certain brand of media in one drive then you have a 2nd drive to try.

8. Unromantic__Me

Gangster

The be true, I wouldnt know using the same burner twice...but it does enable a nice easy setup if you want to burn a couple of CDs at a time for more than one person