Which front tyre for my SV650S?

Soldato
I just use standard 120/60, 160/60 on my 03 SV650, I have no problems cornering.

Dunlop's are ok, but the new Michelin Road 5's work very well on an SV for road use, and will last longer.

Soldato
For a new starter, don't mix tyres.

I recommend the Metzeler Roadtec 01, or Michelin Pilot Road 5 (3 or 4 are also good, but old stock). It'll feel like another new bike then and will be a big confidence booster, enjoy it.

Man of Honour
For a new starter, don't mix tyres.

I recommend the Metzeler Roadtec 01, or Michelin Pilot Road 5 (3 or 4 are also good, but old stock). It'll feel like another new bike then and will be a big confidence booster, enjoy it.

Note that the above are touring tyres, so you will need to tailor your grip expectations accordingly. I currently run the Roadtec 01's and they're decent for road use.

Soldato
It's still worth mentioning. I got the stickiest rubber (for cold tyre and rain performance) I could on my first bike to minimise any risks.

Modern tyres like the PR5 will have more grip than a new rider could ever possibly use, and will have more grip in less than optimal conditions. Really sticky don't tend to work well until warmed up and tend not to be so good in the wet.

Man of Honour
Modern tyres like the PR5 will have more grip than a new rider could ever possibly use, and will have more grip in less than optimal conditions. Really sticky don't tend to work well until warmed up and tend not to be so good in the wet.

They definitely don't grip as well as the M7RRs in the wet. There's a reason I specifically said:

I got the stickiest rubber (for cold tyre and rain performance) I could

Soldato
They definitely don't grip as well as the M7RRs in the wet. There's a reason I specifically said:
Diverging from the OP a bit, but my experience is different.

I have the M7RR on my sports bike (a big fan may I add) and PR3 on my tourer for wet conditions (yet to try the PR5) - I have toured on both in all conditions and whilst the M7RR is a phenomenal tyre, my experience is that the PR3 is superior in the wet at the expense of outright dry grip. I expect the PR5 to be even better.

However, I do agree the M7RR are a great tyre, they're different horses for different courses but the M7RR is a good all-round tyre for experienced riders who want a tyre which is great for fast dry riding, and hold a reasonable grip level in the wet. It is not the stickiest in the wet, nor does it intend to be, sports touring and touring tyres are designed to be as good in the wet as they are in the dry.

I wouldn't expect a new rider to be pushing tyres that much, so a modern sports touring tyre which is predictable across all conditions and heat up quickly is more suitable.

Soldato
Couldn't expect a new rider to be pushing tyres that much, so a modern sports touring tyre which is predictable across all conditions and heat up quickly is more suitable.

Yea and the mileage. I mean I been riding 16 years, I ride fast-ish, but I'm no Street Rossi. These road 5's are perfectly fine, I get my foot scraping the road whilst on the pegs, got no chicken strips.

Unless your on a race track, personally I think if your pushing it further than that on the street, your pushing your luck anyway.

Soldato
I found battlax tyres were TERRIBLE on my SV and felt dangerous in the wet...what ever you do dont use them. I swapped them for pilot road 4's and it became a much more stable bike. I've used them ever since

Back
Top Bottom