Which G-Sync Gaming 4K Monitor with HDR should I buy?

Associate
Hi all,

I am in a little bit of a conundrum over which monitor to buy, I want a 4K monitor and not 3440 x 1440 for example. What is available that is above 27" but below 40" which is at the 140hz mark with G-Sync and no obvious fan issues?

I like the idea of 27" but moving from 33" to 27" would be a little underwhelming when im now used to that size.

This will be used in conjuction with an Nvidia RTX 280Ti and the rest of the Gaming PC spec is amazing so want to make the most of it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, there is no price range at the moment.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
There are new models coming out that have you covered but brace yourself the price is ridiculous to the point of being practically useless to most people, thanks manufacturers :rolleyes:

Acer X32 Predator
Asus ROG Swift PG32UQX
Thanks, I currently have the ACER PREDATOR 4K XB321HK 32" 3840X2160 IPS G-SYNC but the lack of HDR is noticable when playing certain games.

So the above aren't available yet?

Associate
Thanks, I currently have the ACER PREDATOR 4K XB321HK 32" 3840X2160 IPS G-SYNC but the lack of HDR is noticable when playing certain games.

So the above aren't available yet?

No I don't believe so, I think the Acer is due out first there was some CES coverage of them in Jan 2020 and some hotly debated topics around HDMI 2.1 ports either being in or out of the specs

Associate
However it's just too big, and according to the reviews it has a lot of screen tear issues :(

yup

welcome to the world of "why aren't there any good 4k gaming monitors in 2020 despite the 4k standard being out for years..." I genuinely do not know why that is perhaps one of the vendor reps would like to comment?

Associate
OP
yup

welcome to the world of "why aren't there any good 4k gaming monitors in 2020 despite the 4k standard being out for years..." I genuinely do not know why that is perhaps one of the vendor reps would like to comment?
Yes I've come to that conclusion now, its absolute madness! How we can manage that with a TV but not a monitor?

Associate
OP
I'm at a loss what to do, my new Gaming PC arrives in 3 weeks and I don't want something that will "just do" I want something that does everything right from the get go.

Associate
so your choices atm are 1440p, ultrawides, a 4K 43"+ large screen size, 27" or good ole 4K@60Hz same as the rest of us

Console and living room players have the option of the new 48" OLED from LG but that's just not going to work on a desk unfortunately :(

Soldato
For proper HDR the only real choice in an OLED panel as the IPS/VA panels with HDR of 1000 Nits are as you have seen, silly money and cost more than an OLED.

So what about dropping HDR? Then look at ACER XV273K https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_nitro_xv273k.htm which can be had for £750 new (sometimes).

There are some good gaming monitors out there but they wont do OLED levels of HDR and often you cant use HDR when VRR is on or other features such as ULMB.

Yeah, 'tis a conundrum of what to get.

This site is useful as for what is coming up https://www.displayninja.com/new-monitors/

Associate
OP
For proper HDR the only real choice in an OLED panel as the IPS/VA panels with HDR of 1000 Nits are as you have seen, silly money and cost more than an OLED.

So what about dropping HDR? Then look at ACER XV273K https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_nitro_xv273k.htm which can be had for £750 new (sometimes).

There are some good gaming monitors out there but they wont do OLED levels of HDR and often you cant use HDR when VRR is on or other features such as ULMB.

Yeah, 'tis a conundrum of what to get.

This site is useful as for what is coming up https://www.displayninja.com/new-monitors/

Thanks for the info :)

If I was to not go down the HDR route with a 280i RTX I'd be silly, I have a fantastic monitor that is in 4k but can't do the HDR side of things or I'd of kept it.

I really am at a loss as to what to do. Anything HDR 400 or below is also not worth it as its not massively noticable.

Soldato
Well, best be prepared to either get one of the 27/28inch FALD backlight monitors if HDR1000 is worth an extra £1000 to ya or a 48 inch OLED for £1500 which your 2080ti wont run as it doesnt have HDMI 2.1.

So you sold your fantastic 4k monitor without knowing of what to buy next? And this monitor was which one? was it 'High Hz 4k' or '4k and HDR'?

I went from 28 inch down to 27 inch and for the first week I could notice it. But that passes, or sit closer to it :D

I'd look for an (A-sync) 'Freesync - G-sync compatible monitor' instead of a pure G-sync monitor.

Associate
OP
I have my old monitor but want rid due to lack of HDR which makes a big difference in the games I want to play.

so 27” then? The current monitor is 32” so that’s a bit of a step down I guess.

high hz around 144, HDR at a minimum of HD600.

Why not a pure G-Sync?

Associate
If you can show me an OLED solution that will work on a desk I’d gladly take a look.

the OPs only option with the specs they are looking for is one of the mega bucks displays which aren’t even released yet, I think they support hdmi 2 and DP you’ll need to check the specs on the final product

Soldato
I have my old monitor but want rid due to lack of HDR which makes a big difference in the games I want to play.

so 27” then? The current monitor is 32” so that’s a bit of a step down I guess.

high hz around 144, HDR at a minimum of HD600.

Why not a pure G-Sync?

G-sync you'll be locked to an Nvidia card for the lifetime of the monitor, when you may want to option of an AMD card as you'll upgrade your gfx card before your monitor. Oh I see your monitor in POST #4.

HDR @ 600 isn't .....HDR and I'd drop HDR over high hz display. That's what I did. My monitor does have HDR 400 but I don't use it

So if your current monitor is 32 inches then it must be 60hz. I'd drop HDR over high High Hz any day.

If you can show me an OLED solution that will work on a desk I’d gladly take a look.

the OPs only option with the specs they are looking for is one of the mega bucks displays which aren’t even released yet, I think they support hdmi 2 and DP you’ll need to check the specs on the final product

Depends how big your desk is. 48 still too big as that is the smallest.

I think you are right that the panel the OP wishes doesnt exist yet. Also if OLED panels stick with only HDMI 2.1 then the OP will need yet another gfx card as current cards are HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.4

Associate
OP
Thanks for the info :)

If I was to not go down the HDR route with a 280i RTX I'd be silly, I have a fantastic monitor that is in 4k but can't do the HDR side of things or I'd of kept it.

I really am at a loss as to what to do. Anything HDR 400 or below is also not worth it as its not massively noticable.
G-sync you'll be locked to an Nvidia card for the lifetime of the monitor, when you may want to option of an AMD card as you'll upgrade your gfx card before your monitor. Oh I see your monitor in POST #4.

HDR @ 600 isn't .....HDR and I'd drop HDR over high hz display. That's what I did. My monitor does have HDR 400 but I don't use it

So if your current monitor is 32 inches then it must be 60hz. I'd drop HDR over high High Hz any day.

Depends how big your desk is. 48 still too big as that is the smallest.

I think you are right that the panel the OP wishes doesnt exist yet. Also if OLED panels stick with only HDMI 2.1 then the OP will need yet another gfx card as current cards are HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.4

I think I've found a monitor I like, I've gone for something larger as 27" for me is just too small now.

From the reviews and what I've seen I am liking the Predator CG7, big, decent spec and immersive which is what I like. HDR 1000, 144hz and 4k.

Associate
Might sounds silly but what I’d strongly advise you do is measure out on a bit of scrap cardboard a 43” 16:9 display and stick it on the front of your current monitor. Have a look to see if you are comfortable with that size cos 43” is a lot bigger 32” like a hell of a lot.

Back
Top Bottom