Which Gigabyte Z490 mobo for i5-10600k?

Associate
Hello all, I'm looking to change my mobo and CPU in my current build (a z290 and 7700k). I'm likely to go for the i5-10600k and like the Gigabyte Z490 boards (although I am open to other high quality suggestions). Assuming I choose Gigabyte, I'm struggling to understand which boards might suit best - there's a lot of variants!

The Z490 Gaming X seems a reasonable match but I'm struggling a little to know why I might consider the more expensive Master, Ultra or Elite.

I need good USB port connectivity, 2 x M2 slots, I plan to add an Nvidia 3080 gfx card and re-use my existing 32Gb of Corsair Vengence 3200C16 RAM (although I do need to check that this is a sensible idea). No RGB or watercooling needed - I'll be using an AIO cooler. I'll go for an overclock to 5Ghz but won't be pushing any o/c boundaries.

Any advice appreciated! Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
Hello all, I'm looking to change my mobo and CPU in my current build (a z290 and 7700k). I'm likely to go for the i5-10600k and like the Gigabyte Z490 boards (although I am open to other high quality suggestions). Assuming I choose Gigabyte, I'm struggling to understand which boards might suit best - there's a lot of variants!

The Z490 Gaming X seems a reasonable match but I'm struggling a little to know why I might consider the more expensive Master, Ultra or Elite.

I need good USB port connectivity, 2 x M2 slots, I plan to add an Nvidia 3080 gfx card and re-use my existing 32Gb of Corsair Vengence 3200C16 RAM (although I do need to check that this is a sensible idea). No RGB or watercooling needed - I'll be using an AIO cooler. I'll go for an overclock to 5Ghz but won't be pushing any o/c boundaries.

Any advice appreciated! Thanks

go elite if you can. Pro has higher VRM output thouogh but more costs

easy choice

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £391.08 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

get better board and wifi for a bit more

Last edited:
Soldato
Wouldn't call paying that much for only two cores more as good buy.
There isn't even good upgrade path, thanks to Intel's pricing policy etc.

Just for comparison next-gen consoles will bring 8 core to standard level.

Also AMD releases Zen3 architecture CPUs in two weeks.

Soldato
Wouldn't call paying that much for only two cores more as good buy.
There isn't even good upgrade path, thanks to Intel's pricing policy etc.

Just for comparison next-gen consoles will bring 8 core to standard level.

Also AMD releases Zen3 architecture CPUs in two weeks.

cores mean nothing for PC gaming. Crysis remastered and MS FS2020 shows this. most of it is due to poor coding from ports. and 80% of steam and epic games run on 4 threads . Plus Consoles will run slow. Zen3 6 core will out muscle the xbox series X in theory for PC Games.

but two weeks and paper launch . followed by RX6000. good second half of the year for hardware :D

Back
Top Bottom