1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which i5 750 cpu cooler?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by OpenToSuggestions, 14 Mar 2010.

1. OpenToSuggestions

Capodecina

Friend bought an i5 rig yesterday and seems that the CoolIt (very similar to the corsair all in one water cpu cooler) is faulty.

What hsf do you lot recommend for an i5 cpu?
    Ideally no more expensive than the CoolIt one.

Needs to have good cooling as we are aiming for 4ghz overclock and quiet.
    Thanks

2. RJC

Don

Have a look at the Noctua only a few pounds more, or Prolimatech with a attached fan or the Tuniq Tower.

3. OpenToSuggestions

Capodecina

Thanks for the post.
    I have heard they are top cpu coolers, and whilst I know the £ is really weak now and everything is bought in $, £60 for a heatsink and fan still seems a lot to me.

4. Guest2

Capodecina

Corsair H50 is about £60

5. OpenToSuggestions

Capodecina

Thanks. Will point him towards the 3 coolers mentioned.

The CoolIt was only bought as was recommended in the shop, on reflection I should have looked are views, as some are good and some are bad of it.

6. jamesgoss

Gangster

I'm using a Megahalems. At 4.0GHz with 75 celcius load temps (IBT) in a case with crap airflow. Very good performance I reckon. Using push/pull yate loons

7. OpenToSuggestions

Capodecina

How are you finding overclocking on the UD3?
    The fancier boards have 12 or 24 phase power but to me it seemed like it was of little use other than to sell more.

8. Helios1234

Soldato

Instead of the Prolimatech, check out the Thermalright Venomous X. And it's crazy spending that much money on the Noctua NH-U12P these days seeing as how the NH-D14 is vastly superior for not much more.

However since cost is an issue, I highly suggest you check out the Tuniq 120 Tower and the Alpenfohn Nordwand. Both of those will end up significantly cheaper than the VX with two fans or the NH-D14. The Cogage arrow is proving to be very good as well but that is the only cooler I haven't tried personally.

9. shroomz

Wise Guy

Titan Fenrir has some amazing reviews, as well as Akasa Freedom Tower

10. Chapa

Associate

Hi All,

The Titan Fenrir is still not available at Overclockers for 1156 socket.

I bought my rig a few weeks back and im glad i bought these components.

I5 750
    Gigabyte P55 US3L
    Zalman Extreme

I have overclocked this cpu without a hitch, no bsod nothing.

3.8 Ghz
    FSB 181 X 21 Multiplier @ 1.18 Vcore Just exellent
    At full load getting 52 degrees after 2 hrs prime95.

And i think i can go further,

I would recommend this cpu and motherboard to everyone.

What do you guys think on the temps?

Thanks

Chapa

11. Jabbs

Sgarrista

My temps posted from the I5 overclocking thread using the same cpu on a H50-1 am more than happy with the results even with intel burn test it doesn't go much above 70 and we all know that pushes more than prime.

12. Chapa

Associate

I havent tried going to 4 Ghz, but i would think i can get to this with lower temps on air cooling.

My CPU is at 3,8 Ghz at 1.18 volts, all the others to default settings.

Jabbs i would try using the 21 multiplier, as i have always heard that odd multipliers are more stable.

13. Ricardox1

Gangster

I'm using tuniq extreme cpu cooler and my I5 is @ 3.8ghz and load temps are only high 60's, idles at low 30's:D
    Great cooler.

14. jamesgoss

Gangster

Honestly, I just used the settings that were in a CustomPC issue for the UD2, and it went straight to 3.8. I was getting decent temps so I took it up another notch to 4.0 and it hasn't batted an eyelid. It runs perfectly with no hiccups, no crashes. It's a very good board as far as I'm concerned, and I wanted a full atx to allow room for monster coolers (I was scared it wouldn't fit with a graphics card installed on a UD2).

All in all, very happy with my spec, and the megahalems is performing exactly as I had hoped. I'm going to try reducing fan speed on the Yates and see how that affects temps, but that should be a few days.

EDIT: I think the settings are on bit-tech too if you have a rummage in the CPU section

15. Slashiem

Wise Guy

16. Chapa

Associate

jamesgoss,

what are your temps at idle and load?

Also your voltages please

Thanks

17. jamesgoss

Gangster

Hi Chapa,

My idle temps are around 38C,while my load temps on IBT get to 75C,which I'm comfortable with.this shows how lazy I was with overclocking my i5: I don't even know what they call the vcore anymore (maybe that's what it still is!). Anyway,main chip voltage is 1.35,a couple of other tweaks. All the settings are in that bit tech article above.unfortunately I've just come back from work so can't really start delving into my BIOS I'm afraid

James

18. gurusan

Capodecina

I just bought the Cogage Arrow and will be using 1 or 2 38mm Yate Loons