Which Keyboard

Soldato
Oh how wrong you are, letting the looks take you in like that hehe. What can I say but fair enough, go buy your 'pretty' rubber membrane boards then. My 'f-ugly' old IBM will still be working in 20 years time, will yours ? ...buckling springs are vastly superior to rubber membranes in terms of lifecycle and feel (feel is subjective mind, so really that bit is my opinion). Ode to the immortal IBM Model M :cool:

Almost forgot, these old workhorses don't have ####### annoying windows keys either, which has got to get it points by anyone's measure (if you play games).

Last edited:

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Moeks said:
Oh how wrong you are, letting the looks take you in like that hehe. What can I say but fair enough, go buy your 'pretty' rubber membrane boards then. My 'f-ugly' old IBM will still be working in 20 years time, will yours ? ...buckling springs are vastly superior to rubber membranes in terms of lifecycle and feel (feel is subjective mind, so really that bit is my opinion). Ode to the immortal IBM Model M :cool:

Almost forgot, these old workhorses don't have ####### annoying windows keys either, which has got to get it points by anyone's measure (if you play games).

I really wouldn't mind having to buy a new keyboard when mine stops working. £20 here or there isn't especially much is it?

My current keyboard is the Logitech basic, which is actually only about £5 and very comfortable. I'd rather have something easier on the eyes and doesn't look like it was found in the skip after being thrown out with a commodore 64 to be honest with you.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's not about looks for me, yea I'd like it in black but it isn't, however I love typing on it so much I'm just not that bothered. It's a perfect example of function over form, for a change. Shouldn't knock 'em till you've tried 'em :cool:

I rest my case anyway, I've not succeeded in coverting anyone today it seems.

Last edited:

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Moeks said:
It's not about looks for me, yea I'd like it in black but it isn't, however I love typing on it so much I'm just not that bothered. It's a perfect example of function over form, for a change. Shouldn't knock 'em till you've tried 'em :cool:

I rest my case anyway, I've not succeeded in coverting anyone today it seems.

Yeah, well I like the idea that I wont be getting RSI anytime soon.

Why don't you try anodising the keyboard or something?

Soldato
RSI ...it's the same damn shape as all the modern keyboards I have. I fail to see how you would get RSI from using an IBM Modem M any more easily than you could from using the Saitek or a Logitech G15.

Caporegime
Moeks said:
RSI ...it's the same damn shape as all the modern keyboards I have. I fail to see how you would get RSI from using an IBM Modem M any more easily than you could from using the Saitek or a Logitech G15.

You need to get different keyboards then, saying that, the g15 looks like it is from an amstrad :p

None of the keyboards I have used in the past 6 years havent had a pad that runs the full length of the keyboard that your wrist goes on, the g15 has one as well, helps prevent rsi.

Last edited:
Soldato
My old Logitech Elite has a wrist rest, I found it annoying actually, I just took it off, it been used for years like that. RSI can be attributed to seating position and posture more than the fact the keyboard was designed in the 1980s I'm sure. In any case it's all personal preference thing.

I've never had problems with keyboards and RSI, only mice, which since I changed my desk to one with adjustable height and changed my chair to one with adjustable arms etc I haven't had those problems.

Associate
I can't stand wrist rests... Abominations that actually hurt my wrists, but, I'm 6foot3, and my Wrists wrest very comfortably on the desk with the Model M.

Glad to see at least one other person knows just how good these are :D
As for the Nay-Sayer, i'll see you in 20years mate, my keyboard will still be going, and I still won't have RSI. I've been using them for about 7 years now, and you might think that I would at least have a twinge or 2 in that time...

Don't be so disparaging until you've actually tried one... they are still popular these days for a reason... They don't stop working, and have the most Tactile Keypress in existance... believe me, I've been through a lot of keyboards in my time.
Oh, And if I wanted it black, I'd Dye/Spray/Powdercoat it.

Back
Top Bottom