Which Naim?

Associate
Hello guys, I'm wanting a little help on what to purchase, I'm wanting a new naim system and was looking at the 122x/150x/flatcap2x/CD5I combo which comes in at around £3000 (I'm on a budget)..

Now heres my problem, having never listend to a naim setup before but have a rather good ear for exceptional sound quality I ask you.. Instead of buying the 122x/150x and the flatcap could I just buy the all inclusive integrated nait 5i and save myself £1500, are these parts crucial to the sound quailty as I've only ever owned inteamps..

Also if anyone has a naim setup and has pics of the back of their setup, as I know there very barebone but I would just like to look at how the power supply, amp and pre amp are wired up as I notice they have limited RCA and tend to use the DIN-DIN connectors, I would just like to see how they're wired up..

Any other info or reccomendations is much appreciated. :)

EDIT: This may seem a little exsessive but I have edited a bunch of images (not very well) with what I am currently familier with, the usual RCA connectors and the speakers and the mains plugs, could anyone help me with what all the other DIN plugs are usually used for.. thanks again.

sdfgsdfghcopykv3.gif

Last edited:
Associate
By no means a Naim expert, but I just replaced my Denon AV amp with a Nait 5i and the difference is amazing. Tried a few other amps from Rega, Rotel and Arcam and the Naim was much, much better sounding. Any Naim dealer will be able to help with any questions and more importantly a Demo so you can see if the pre/power/psu setup is worth going for.

http://www.naim-audio.com/distrib/uk_yorkshire.html

I got mine from Sound Organisation in York and can't recomend them highly enough.

Dave

Soldato
Well I would suggest you don't want to buy a NAIM set-up, because....

having never listend to a naim setup before but have a rather good ear for exceptional sound quality

How do quanitify yourself as having a good ear :confused:
What system have you heard so far ?

Naim has quite a distinctive sound, bit or a Marmite brand..... So until you have done a decent demo, keep an open mind on other similar brands.

When you have the demo, you will be able to judge if the extra expense of the full pre-power route is worth over the integrated. Perhaps I shouldn't speculate on the out come ;) ...... but to say all parts are critical.

I wouldn't worry much about connectors at present, the dealer will set you up with the leads.
Traditional Naim has favoured DIN connectors over Phono/RCA. But these days they tend to use both to allow the less die hard fans to connect non Naim stuff up.
Connecting Naim to Naim I would suggest keeping to the DIN sockets.

Are you picking out some speakers as well.

Associate
i always preferred the way the nait5i sounded when compared to the 112x/150 combo, but it is all preference.

i've got a CDX2 / nait5i / nsat system. it is awesome fun to listen to, love it to bits. unfortunately it hasn't even been connected in 5 months and is just sitting in the corners if my room unused and unloved. due to the nature of my present job/housing situation, i can't even see when i'll next get the chance to set it up and listen to it :/

this sucks.

Associate
OP
How do quanitify yourself as having a good ear :confused:

Having grown up with my father who was a sound technician and has a krell evo setup (I think), we spent many nights listening to and criticising other setups (just not naim, unfortunately)

Well I currently have the nad c542 and the nad cc325bee which has been ok but i really really want to upgrade the whole system..

Are you picking out some speakers as well.

I was thinking of the B&W 704's, any recommendations that suit the naim well?

Last edited:
Soldato
Having grown up with my father who was a sound technician and has a krell evo setup (I think), we spent many nights listening to and criticising other setups (just not naim, unfortunately)

Well I currently have the nad c542 and the nad cc325bee which has been ok but i really really want to upgrade the whole system..

I was thinking of the B&W 704's, any recommendations that suit the naim well?

I think Krell is a million miles away from Naim !!!

Been a few years since I did the tour of the market place, kind of nailed my colours to the mast these days ;)
Did hear top line Naim system at a musical evening year or so ago. (show casing the 555 player and PSU) with some 14K JM lab speakers.... To be honest after 10 seconds I just laughed and wanted to turn it off..... until they hooked up the 555 PSU :eek:
THEN it started to close to the tunefullness and musicality of my Linn kit...:D

The Majik CD player is corker, very musical, not heard the new Integrated. But for sure it should be listened to. Make sure when you listen you consider how it will be to listen for long periods. Naim can sound over impressive in the 1st few minutes. It has a more forceful "separated" sound... But are all the musicians still playing as band ? ...... Which set up make you want to sing along more ? .... If you just try and over analyse with a "critical ear" you can be missing the point.

Speaker matching and choice is very personal..... Try some Dynaudio's ?

Soldato
If you want to try out the Naim sound at home it might be worth investigating some of the older kit available on the bay, something like a 32.5/110 or for a bit more a 72/hcap/(140/160/180). This would give you a feel for the sound, and if you don't like it you should be able to sell it on for minimal loss.

If you are willing to spend Naim also do the Supernait which is a pretty decent integrated, but rather more than the 5i.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
As 9 has already suggested, go out and have a good listen to a variety of kit.
It's a shed load of wonga to spend if you later on find that you actually prefer a different style of presentation.

If you do go Naim, don't worry about the connections, and DO use the DIN connections, they sound better. You can find a guide on what to plug where on the Naim website, it's fairly mug proof.

Soldato

What's your verdict on the krell amps? Never heard them but fell in love with them when a friend showed me a brochure of them about 10 years ago. Which model amp and speakers does you dad have?

Last edited:
Associate
What ever you do, DON'T buy Naim, or any other proper hifi kit, without listening to it first.

Buying the seperates system is ok if you plan on upgrading. The CD5i will not do the amps justice + there are better CDPs available for the money.

If you're going Naim I'd suggest something in between- a Nait 5i and CD5x with a flatcap. All can be had for under £3k new. If you go 2nd hand you can get stuff in another league 202/200 and a CD5x + flatcap easily.

Associate
I've just been out and bought a 5i. plenty of ex dem units going at the mo because of the new release of the newer model with ipod front connector. i payed £580 for mine.

Incredible sound a very worthwhile upgrade. looks the nuts aswell.

Back
Top Bottom