• I will buy neither console

Votes: 88 8.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 120 11.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Also, despite being behind in terms of graphics hardware I think that the Kinect, smartglass apps, and Microsoft's cloud/online services might give them the edge in the long run.

I agree especially as Kinect will be present with every system. Sony have basically missed out on that aspect for this entire generation now.

Soldato
I agree especially as Kinect will be present with every system. Sony have basically missed out on that aspect for this entire generation now.

I hate the kinect - its laggy as hell in the current gen and not really that accurate as we have a window close by to the TV (it's okay-ish when we close the blinds lol!).

I'm also not in favour of MS or the NSA being able to peep straight into my living room whenever they feel like it - call me tin foil hat - but I just don't like the idea of a camera facing me and my family 24/7!

Its one of the main reasons I want a PS4 - I can opt out of having a camera!

Associate
I'm also not in favour of MS or the NSA being able to peep straight into my living room whenever they feel like it - call me tin foil hat - but I just don't like the idea of a camera facing me and my family 24/7!

Its one of the main reasons I want a PS4 - I can opt out of having a camera!

While I really don't understand the tin hat paranoia that's your choice but, the Kinect can be turned off, it can even be left unplugged.

Soldato
Still undecided, i have both on pre-order and finances only allow one, or for the first year.. one day im back in the Xbox camp the other i fancy a change and want a PS4 again, i want to see some solid reviews/comparisons anyone know when these might come?

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Also, despite being behind in terms of graphics hardware I think that the Kinect, smartglass apps, and Microsoft's cloud/online services might give them the edge in the long run.

its not just behind in the graphics hardware, if the reports are true its behind all over as far as hardware specs and no amount of cloud pr magic will change that, especially with sony investing in cloud side things as well. same deal with the smart glass stuff, remote play and such things are on the ps4 its just not called smart glass.

the only thing the xbone does have over the ps4 is the kinect something a lot of people wont use as its a rather expensive gimmick and outside of a handful of titles it will be forgotten about.

Associate
I also read that the PS4's cloud/gaikai is cabable of matching M$'s and can get dedicated servers but some services will be available start of 2014..

Can we please not compare gaikai to azure(xbox's cloud service) because they are nothing a like. One is for streaming games that are completely running on a server somewhere else and the other is used for small tasks in game (ie wind/water effects) to free up space and power for the console to use on bigger tasks (enemy AI/physics). Gaikai is not going to be used for dedicated servers at all its just not what its built for, not that its a bad thing, it just has a different purpose.

Permabanned
rigby9 said:
Can we please not compare gaikai to azure(xbox's cloud service) because they are nothing a like. One is for streaming games that are completely running on a server somewhere else and the other is used for small tasks in game (ie wind/water effects) to free up space and power for the console to use on bigger tasks (enemy AI/physics). Gaikai is not going to be used for dedicated servers at all its just not what its built for, not that its a bad thing, it just has a different purpose.

You are deluded in thinking the "cloud" will compensate for wind / water effects. Its laughable.

Last edited:
Associate
You are deluded in thinking "cloud" wind / water effects.it's laughable.

Time delayed processsing of wind and water lol.

Well considering most of these effects on just on a loop the user wouldn't actually realise if they were slightly out of sync. Also these tasks would require about maybe 2/3 mbs each so there wouldn't really be much of a problem.
I might add you don't need to take my word as gospel but I've done my research as well as having a little knowledge of this field anyway.

Soldato
If weather effects are supposed to be real-time, that isn't going to work. The sort of latency that server-side processing will introduce would make it impossible. Plus the demanding part is rendering it, and regardless of whether effects are processed on the console or at a server somewhere, the GPU still has to do the work.

I can see server-side processing being useful for non-visual stuff like AI routines etc. But it's one of those things they can't rely on too much because if an internet connection drops or is particularly slow, the game experience could suffer as a result.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
I can see server-side processing being useful for non-visual stuff like AI routines etc. But it's one of those things they can't rely on too much because if an internet connection drops or is particularly slow, the game experience could suffer as a result.

as many people have said and ms wont comment on, what happens when your not connected do your games look/run worse. if the answer is no then the cloud really is doing nothing and its all pr rubbish, if it is yes that means you get a 2 tier gaming experience on the xbone and if you live in a area with poor internet your screwed.

Soldato

Microsoft has touted the Xbox One's cloud-computing capabilities, promising that the system's hardware resources can be freed up by accessing remote servers that handle AI and physics calculations. Those remote computations, Microsoft says, will allow the Xbox One, unlike the Xbox 360, to become more powerful over time.

Sony Computer Entertainment's Shuhei Yoshida says that the PlayStation 4 can tap into similar technology, offloading processes that are typically handled locally to the cloud.

Yoshida said that "of course" PS4 developers will be able to take advantage of cloud-based computing for their titles.

"Linking, matchmaking... there are already many computations being done on the cloud side," Yoshida said, adding that there are limitations to what processes can be offloaded to a remote computer, due to latency and bandwidth.

Asked whether cloud-based computing technology would face issues of adoption, since Sony does not require an online connection for PS4, Yoshida said, "No."

"We don't believe every title needs that," he said. "But if your title needs [an] online connection to provide some online features: Go for it."

When Sony unveiled the PlayStation 4, it focused on using cloud-based technology for the delivery of streaming games, instant-play demos and the ability to let a friend on the internet take over gameplay on your PlayStation 4. Microsoft's implementation of cloud-based computing emphasized tapping into "variable number of transistors in the cloud."

Gaikai's cloud service is coming to PlayStation 4 sometime in 2014 after the console's initial launch.

Associate
I think we have to remember that the X1 was originally meant to be always online as well so people would always have access to this cloud. That's what I didn't like about them changing their polices after E3 but hey ho

GAC

GAC

Soldato
quinnaay, sonys cloud doesnt have a name, gaikai is a seperate streaming service for games, nothing to do with magical cloud shenanigans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom