Which of these hatches get your vote?

Soldato
Depends what you want I suppose.

Clio 172/182 - Small hatch, so as long as you concede on the comfort front, probably a good choice.
Mondeo ST220 - Nippy and comfortable. Values have dropped since the tax changes and makes for a good buy.
Focus ST170 - Good choice, but not for £5k, drop to sub £4k now tbh
Civic type-r - Same boat as the Clio.
Golf v6 4motion mk4 - Old for the money and strong residuals make a poor buy
S3 (price permitting) - Would be a dog
Golf mk5 (taking the slower option in favour of something newer) - If it's your choice, but you seem concerned about speed

You'd be best off testing those you like the look of :)

Associate
[TW]Fox;14951160 said:
Explain what? The Mondeo is like the Golf (It has 5 doors, it has a V6, it is reasonably quick) but is better in every way (It doesn't handle like a VAGZzz, it doesn't carry a ridiculous price premium, it is faster, etc)

All of the below is only relevent if the buyer is looking at the MkV GTi.

The golf also comes in a 5 door ( just in case you haven't seen one :rolleyes:)
The golf is also "reasonably quick"
The Golf handles (mk5) very well
Why does the premium matter? Bmw hold a "ridiculous" premium imo
It has 20 BHP more, but weights 1539Kg (curb weight) Where as the Golf is closer to 1424.09Kg (curb) so I can hardly see the Mondeo Flying past it now...can you ?

The golf also has a better combined MPG

Not saying the the golf IS the car for him, or that you would see the golf in the same light as anybody else, but lets be honest the Mondeo is, well... a Mondeo. You have to admit, they are one of the more boring cars around.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
All of the below is only relevent if the buyer is looking at the MkV GTi.

He's already said the Golf in question is a Mk4 V6 4Motion and NOT a Mk5 GTI.

lets be honest the Mondeo is, well... a Mondeo. You have to admit, they are one of the more boring cars around.

What and a Golf is different and exciting? It is as generic a 5 door hatch as any Mondeo.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;14949694 said:
Mondeo. Like a Golf only better in every possible way.

Is that the first time in human history a Mondeo has been described as "like a Golf"?

"And if you listen....sounds just like a golf" :)

Associate
Out of that list....the Clio 182. Iv always fancied that burnt bronze one with the cup pack, but they are all the same really.

Wouldn't touch either the fords with yours, especially the fiesta.

TBH I'm more of a golf person, but I do believe you haven't picked the best models it offers. From what iv heard the v6 4 motion (my next door neighbour has the equivalent A3 quattro and he is always scratching his head at something) chew up transmissions like nobody's business, so beware if you'r ever test driving one.

Mother has an S3, not the most comfiest things the world and do cost. Think you really need to be an Audi nut to own one though. really small steering wheel funnily enough which is strange.

The only other real possibility is the civic. Good car, slightly faster than the Clio but not as good in the corners. bit more space too, so depends on what you'd be doing with it.

Associate
The only other real possibility is the civic. Good car, slightly faster than the Clio but not as good in the corners. bit more space too, so depends on what you'd be doing with it.

Not as good in the corners ? drove both before settling for a CTR and cant say i agree there.

and whilst he's no Chuck Norris, Tiff doesnt agree either :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4-PI_rES6k

Get a CTR man, fun / practical'ish (hard ride but lots of room and not bad mpg if your careful and the obvious Honda reliability).

Caporegime
Is that the first time in human history a Mondeo has been described as "like a Golf"?

"And if you listen....sounds just like a golf" :)

That advert seems retarded anyway, the 3rd car is a purple modded one, they say key components are just like a golf, no wonder really since it looks like a modded mk3 golf to me!

Last edited:
Associate
Not as good in the corners ? drove both before settling for a CTR and cant say i agree there.

and whilst he's no Chuck Norris, Tiff doesnt agree either :p

Och you be quiet, I gave you faster and more practical....your not having better in the corners too :)

..although on the other hand, Im not one to agrue with tiff!

Soldato
Indeed, whoever accepted and approved that video musn't know much about cars.
(

There's just something about the salesman that makes me want to poke him in the eye - is that wrong?

Incidentally - the sound of a door closing on a golf is one area where the golf clearly is better than the mondeo - mine sounds a bit like closing the lid on a tin can.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom