Which ram kit(S) to by for 5900x. 4 stick vs 2 etc

Associate
Hi,

Been wading through mind field of memory info for Ryzen 5000 (havent done a build since 2015)

I'm almost certainly going to get 5900x and Asus Dark Hero mobo (keeping my 1080ti in the current climate)

It seems like the ideal sweet spot price/performance would be 32gb (2x16gb) 3600mhz (been looking a Crucial) c16. Obiously this is hard to come by right now

So Ive been looking into other solutions:

Should I get:
1. 2x8gb kit and wait to upgrade (I'm sure I can get by with 16gb for a while :))

2. 4x8gb which would, if I understand correctly, be running in Dual Rank with 4 sticks and give better performance
Is it more likely there will be issues running 4 sticks (e.g. with running xmp or manual timings)?

3. Do something else, happy to be guided a little here

I'm wanting to build a PC that it going to last me as long as the one I have now and want to be able to enjoy playing with overclocks etc

Thanks

Man of Honour
If you're buying a 5900X and I assume doing the kind of work that needs one, then getting 2x8 would be a stopgap at best, I wouldn't recommend it.

Soldato
I'm almost certainly going to get 5900x and Asus Dark Hero mobo...

I'm wanting to build a PC that it going to last me as long as the one I have now and want to be able to enjoy playing with overclocks etc
Forget bat crazy insanely over expensive mobo.
That won't make CPU/PC any faster or longer good lasting.
Only you that much poorer/not able to afford other updates as soon.

£220 MSI X570 Tomahawk has off the charts overkill VRM.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...-am4-ddr4-x570-atx-motherboard-mb-351-ms.html
Not that overclocking will do any good for gaming:
It would require extreme OC with extreme cooling methods to push all 12 cores to same clocks as automatic boost clocks of the most heavily loaded cores.
(and with advance back in CPUs it still wouldn't give real extra life)

Fast latency dual rank memory is what gives the edge in performance, if wanting to get most out of Ryzen.

In 16GB DIMMs dual rank means basically getting good old overclocker favourite Samsung B-die.
Other/newer DDR4 chips simply have upped their max capacity to 16 Gbit and make 16GB DIMM with single rank.
And B-die can be found guaranteedly only from kits like 3200MHz CL14 (for manual OC) or 3600MHz 16-16-16.

Micron rev.E and such found from Crucials (Micron's consumer brand) would be the next best chips.
But those 16GB DIMMs are nowadays single rank ones and four 8GB DIMM would be only way to guarantee dual rank.
And while for load on memory controller two ranks is always two ranks, for physical level signaling integrity two DIMMs per channel is harder for motherboards.
(daisy chain wiring of DIMM slots makes traces of slots different length)
Though at 3600MHz it shouldn't be any problem with good boards.

Caporegime
Not if you expect to keep your PC for some time - and decide to increase RAM in a few years.

Lol in a few years I'd be upgrading to DDR 5 no doubt and there is no way I'm running out of ram at 32GB any time soon. Not with my usage. I'd say 99% of the time even when gaming my ram usage is below 10GB so at 32GB I doubt I'll ever have any issues in future.

Soldato
A move to DDR5 would be a whole system upgrade (CPU + Motherboard + RAM). Not really relevant to a minor upgrade.

I can't see how buying 4x8 now instead of 2x16 would make any sense. If you already have 2x8 then getting two more make sense, but not if you're starting fresh.

Associate
Gaming something like https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...3600mhz-dual-channel-kit-black-my-001-8p.html Check your motherboards memory QVL but most motherboards are fine with b-die. Ryzen cpu's love RAM with tight timings. I am running 4x8GB for the dual rank goodness.

If you want to good cheaper then https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...00c16-3600mhz-dual-channel-kit-my-002-8p.html

Always check the motherboard memory QVL.

The only game I know off that uses 32GB of RAM is Galactic Civilizations 3.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom