Which review sites do you trust?

Soldato
Also agree. I cancelled my subscription to PC Gamer magazine after their 90%+ Far Cry 2 review. No way I was going to keep paying £5/month for a mag that can't even prioritise their readers over their advertisers.

Haha, me too. That was the last straw for PC gamer for me, it's gone downhill a lot.

Associate
i prefair to watch video's of said game before i get it, and read some user reviews of it before hand, demos r always good too :D but it seems demos for PC is slowly coming to an end, use to be a great way of finding out how a game will play, i was planning on buyin BFBC2 but since i havent been able to try the game out i havnt bought it, yet.

Caporegime
I like to read / watch as many reviews within reason as possible then I'll check out fellow forum users findings then on the basis of that, I'll make a decision. Similar for hardware as well, don't just buy a game or component on the basis of one review.

Associate
None.

Every single one of them has bowed, does bow, or will bow to the power of a free lunch. People get wined and dined all the time in this industry.. free tickets to Lakers games are commonplace.

Caporegime
None.

Used to use pc gamer but after the spore and far cry 2 reviews they proved they're either corrupt or so pathetically easily pleased to be useless.

Associate
I'm old school, the only reviews i ever read regularly were on teletext. GameCentral on Channel 4 (still miss Digitiser, ahh nostalgia)

Associate
Eurogamer always get it right.

Again my first port of call when new games come out, then it's off to metacritic to view games for my psp and other titles i'm not too sure about

Associate
Magazine wise the only magazines I read now are Total PC Gaming (though I don't pay any heed to the scores on the reviews as their writers get too many things wrong) and Games TM which I find a good read and that their reviews tend to be about the mark for me. PC Zone and PC Gamer for me have become little more than advertising tools as the standard of journalism in both has degraded to the point where I no longer mention I used to freelance for PCG

Webwise - I don't paid any attention to any of the reviews from these sites as in the vast majority of them reading between the lines you quickly see that they all have an agenda and are all driven by advertising

Soldato
Why is everyone denigrating PC Gamer for Far Cry 2? I know I'm in the minority, but I really liked that game. Also they were hardly alone in giving it a positive review - check out Metacritic, there are loads of review sites with 90+ scores. Even the trustworthy Eurogamer gave it a solid 8/10.

Associate
Although I don't base my opinion on the review given, I often watch GameTrailer's reviews, as they give a fairly balanced opinion in most cases.

Some games I won't read reviews about, such as sequels to games which I enjoyed.

Why is everyone denigrating PC Gamer for Far Cry 2? I know I'm in the minority, but I really liked that game. Also they were hardly alone in giving it a positive review - check out Metacritic, there are loads of review sites with 90+ scores. Even the trustworthy Eurogamer gave it a solid 8/10.

I really enjoyed FarCry 2 as well. It had a great atmosphere, and although the story was fairly 'meh', the efforts made with the graphics was definitely worth a playthrough.

Soldato
Now, if we are talking about a review in explaining the game(not if they like it or not), there are too many places to list, IGN/Gamespot. I mean small gripes and likes, fine.

However if we are talking about how good a game is(or anything for that matter), personally I don't trust any critic review in any field, it's based on their likes & dislikes so it is biased. Probably one of the two jobs in the world I find questionable they exist at all, it all so very one way. I've seen them slate something that I loved so much or rate something so high I really disliked. Making it pointless.

The only good critic is yourself, kept to yourself.

Back
Top Bottom