Which Router should I buy capable of DD-WRT so I can add VPN

Associate
Which router do I need that I can install dd-wrt and add a vpn service.

I do not need fast WiFi - I only watch the odd YouTube video on my phone
I need 8gb ports but already have a switch I use with my existing virgin router
I am on a 100mb service but would like to maintain over 50mb with encryption

Any suggestions for a suitable router without spending a fortune (under 100 preferable)?

Or should I be looking at an alternative type of device but I am not a network expert?

Cheers

Associate
I think you may struggle to find a router under £100 which meets your requirements. Esepcially one that is capable of maintaining 50meg under encryption load. Could be proved wrong though. You need to make sure it is purely a router and not a modem/router combo as DD-WRT is developed for routers only (EDIT: Just noticed you are with Virgin so scrap that).

Some kind of black friday deal is probably your best bet.

Associate
OP
Thanks. If I need pay more so be it, I just don't need the latest and greatest WiFi features.

Also I probably don't need 50mb really. Just streaming 1080p.

Man of Honour
Bandwidth required to stream 1080p can vary wildly depending on the source/provider. I'm pretty sure Netflix and other similar providers only state 5-8Mbps is required for their 1080p streaming, so unless you're going off the beaten track I wouldn't have thought you'd need more than 10Mbps. Netflix's 4K streaming only needs 25Mbps according to their site, but I've not had first hand experience of that. The Asus RT-N66U is supposed to top out at about 13Mbps using OpenVPN, which should do you fine. I used to run one of these but it would have stunted my 17Mbps connection, so I moved up to a DSL-AC68U (is a RT-AC68U with built in modem) which should push up and beyond 25Mbps, but I have yet to try it out.

:edit: If you really want big VPN bandwidth and you have an old PC or parts kicking around, I'd suggest making a pfSense box. It will require a bit of effort and some googling around, but large scale encryption is heavy lifting, something a proper PC should excel at compared to a low power device.

Associate
OP
Bandwidth required to stream 1080p can vary wildly depending on the source/provider. I'm pretty sure Netflix and other similar providers only state 5-8Mbps is required for their 1080p streaming, so unless you're going off the beaten track I wouldn't have thought you'd need more than 10Mbps. Netflix's 4K streaming only needs 25Mbps according to their site, but I've not had first hand experience of that. The Asus RT-N66U is supposed to top out at about 13Mbps using OpenVPN, which should do you fine. I used to run one of these but it would have stunted my 17Mbps connection, so I moved up to a DSL-AC68U (is a RT-AC68U with built in modem) which should push up and beyond 25Mbps, but I have yet to try it out.

:edit: If you really want big VPN bandwidth and you have an old PC or parts kicking around, I'd suggest making a pfSense box. It will require a bit of effort and some googling around, but large scale encryption is heavy lifting, something a proper PC should excel at compared to a low power device.

That's great info. I'll look them up. Although I could build a box (with Google) my kitchen cupboard with all my it and av is already near max heat load so I can't add anything like a pc.

Associate
It is to avoid government/isp monitoring on principle and also to avoid censorship of the web without having to add apps to every device.

Not quite sure you understood what i was asking. I wasn't asking why you are wanting to run a VPN outbound, i was asking if you want all of your traffic to go through the VPN or just selected devices? There will be a way to specify this at router level based on source internal IP on DD-WRT i'd imagine.

Soldato
MikroTik Hex RB750gr3 would probably do everything you want apart from have 8 ports. Easily capable of 50Mb encrypted (infact it's up to 450Mb) and costs about £50(ish) to buy so you'll have change.

Associate
OP
MikroTik Hex RB750gr3 would probably do everything you want apart from have 8 ports. Easily capable of 50Mb encrypted (infact it's up to 450Mb) and costs about £50(ish) to buy so you'll have change.
This sounds great. could I still add a basic WiFi to my network?

Soldato
I tried a RT-AC66U but it kept dropping out and couldn't handle my slow 19Mbps ADSL2+. Now use a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 with DD-WRT. Openvpn stays up for days, hardly losing any line speed and cpu loads is low. Uses 1GHz (@1.2GHz) dual core processor and dual band wifi and 4 Gigabit ports. Can be had for £100 ish

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ive bought one of these. Thanks for advise. I hop[e ill be able to set it up myself, loads of youtube stuff.

Soldato
Ive bought one of these. Thanks for advise. I hop[e ill be able to set it up myself, loads of youtube stuff.

Good choice! There are a lot of YouTube guides for most things (if you can bear broken English). The Mikrotik community can be really helpful as well. A lot of it is common "networking" sense though, I'd recommend winbox to manage it over the web ui (L2 connection is such a great thing).

Associate
OP
Good choice! There are a lot of YouTube guides for most things (if you can bear broken English). The Mikrotik community can be really helpful as well. A lot of it is common "networking" sense though, I'd recommend winbox to manage it over the web ui (L2 connection is such a great thing).

I plugged in the RB750Gr3 and a HAP AP to go with it and it all seems to work after using winbox.

For basic protection against ISP censorship and surveillance what the easiest VPN to use? a server on the router? what type of encryption? or external vpn service for a few quid a month?

Soldato
I plugged in the RB750Gr3 and a HAP AP to go with it and it all seems to work after using winbox.

For basic protection against ISP censorship and surveillance what the easiest VPN to use? a server on the router? what type of encryption? or external vpn service for a few quid a month?

OpenVPN plus any of the "big" VPN providers should see you right. I use an L2TP connection to my work and a PPTP (yeah dirty I know) to Tiger VPN

Associate
OP
This is where I start getting confused.

Is l2tp and pptp different to openvpn?

If so why do you suggest openvpn?

Reason I ask this is some people say openvpn on rb750gr3 not good as can't handle UDP although I don't know if I need that?

I did buy a month of pia last night and followed a guide but it wanted an IP address for the pia server which I couldn't find. No idea what I was doing really!

Associate
I did buy a month of pia last night and followed a guide but it wanted an IP address for the pia server which I couldn't find. No idea what I was doing really!

You can ping the server name from your machine which will give you the IP. OpenVPN is just the just the protocol used for the VPN tunnel. It is widely regarding as being as secure as l2tp if not more. Avoid PPTP.

Edit: rb750gr3 can't handle UDP? You can use TCP with OpenVPN if you so wish. The settings are in the PIA config files if you open it in a text editor.

Back
Top Bottom