1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which SSD do you have in your Mac?

Discussion in 'Apple Hardware' started by Prophet, 18 Jun 2013.

1. Prophet

Soldato

Got to love Apple :)

2. Phate

Caporegime

Enable TRIM to prolong your SSD life. Done.

3. hyper_piper45

Mobster

Vertex 3. It has been rock solid for me.

4. bloodiedathame

Sgarrista

I have an Apple one in my MBP, it's pretty crap compared to the M4 I have in my old MBP.

5. manic111

Capodecina

Got an M4 here as well in my 2011 MBP. Backed up onto an external, swapped the drives over, shifted everything back across from the external. Really easy and the speed boost still amazes me six months on.

6. whiskycycle

Wise Guy

2011 iMac, so no USB3 :-(

Dead easy. TB cable, Thunderbolt sled, SSD. I believe anything above 256GB _may_ cause problems due to additional power requirements, resulting in the drive disconnecting and various other niggles.... MacRumors forums have a bit more detailed information.

Other than that, I just booted from an ML USB stick, fired up Disk Utility and blanked the mechanical drive then installed ML to the TB-connected SSD.

Once you're installed, use Trim Enabler to switch on TRIM if your SSD requires (and after every point release of the OS, as that detects a non-factory SSD and disables it).

Although it's possible to use CCC to restore a full backup to the SSD, I didn't bother and preferred clean installation.

You get a short delay on cold boot while it works out where the bootable OS drive is connected, but other than that it's pretty much full speed. Wake from sleep mode

I didn't bother relocating my root user data stores and simply shifted my iTunes library and iPhoto library to the mechanical when restoring those.

That's pretty much it really. It just works after the initial setup!

7. foster grant

Soldato

I have two SSDs 1 x Samsung 830 128Gig for my Operating System , 1 x250 Gig Samsung 840 for my games

Oops sorry lol just seen this was for MAC ..I dont have a MAC lol

8. pingwing

Capodecina

Mostly because the M4's are cheap and generally reliable (and pretty fast, 256mb write and 500mb read is more than enough)

9. Roughneck

Soldato

I used a samsung 840 256 in my Home Built Mac;)

10. Tummy

Caporegime

How easy would it be to replace the HDD in a new MacBook Pro Retina or a new iMac?

Very tempted to get an iMac after the summer and a new retina MacBook Pro for starting Uni, however how do the Apple faster drives compare to buying and installing a drive?

11. PardonTheWait

Capodecina

250GB Samsung 840 (not the pro).

100% happy with it. Fast and hasn't given me any trouble at all. I just installed it, got Trim Enabler and I haven't done anything since. Splendid.

12. divuk83

Wise Guy

I have a Kingston V+200 120gb in my iMac, though I never enabled trim as I read conflicting info about the need to enable it with sandforce drives.

Dave

13. Elric

Hitman

I have a Crucial M4 512GB in my MBP.

14. Housey

Man of Honour

I have put a Samsung 256GB into my MBP and am very pleased with how it performs.

15. duffers20

Gangster

I've got a Crucial M500 240GB in my mid 2009 MBP. Best hardware upgrade I've ever done.

Did a clean install from a USB memory stick which was a piece of cake. Enabled trim with the enabler once installed. Very happy with the performance!

16. zyfar

Gangster

250GB Samsung 840 works like a charm :)

17. Audigex

Wise Guy

I've got an M4 about to go into my Mid-2010 MacBook, only a 60GB but it's basically going to be a development system so I'm not too fussed about space.

18. Westyfield2

Capodecina

I just put a spare Crucial M4 I had into an old MBP (gave the drive a secure erase and firmware update on PC). Clean install of Mountain Lion, and it's running fine.

Wat's the current verdict on enabling TRIM or just relying on built in Garbage Collection?