Which Tom Tom for use in the US?

Soldato
Only two weeks now until we head to California for a 3 week road trip, and I wanted to get a Sat Nav to use over there to reduce the stress a little.

I want to get a Tom Tom but am completely baffled at the model ranges. I don't want to spend too much, so was thinking of getting something from the Tom Tom refurb store. They have a Tom Tom XL IQ Routes™ edition² for £99 which seems about right.

Will I need any specific feature while over there that I'm overlooking? Apart from the US map pack of course...

Thanks!

Soldato
OP
Just scouted around on the Tom Tom website and some Tom Toms don't have enough internal memory to load US maps, so I guess I have to be careful with that one. The one I listed above can't take it for example..

The GO LIVE 750 seems ok though..

Soldato
If POI's are of interest you then Garmin are far more widely supported over there.
Last time I was over there I bought a Garmin for about $40 from an electronics store which was actually quite good and had more POI's than I could believe.

Soldato
You could just use a map?

I been to the us three times and not used a nav system at all, it's a piece of cake.
And I'm 24, so it's not like I'm used to reading maps for navigating before the advent of GPS :p

Soldato
First time I ever came here we did about 3500+ miles using a rand mcnally map. I bought a tomtom one on sale at sears last year for $50.
For finding your way around the cities esp the older ones on the east coast, a gps is invaluable.

Soldato
Just scouted around on the Tom Tom website and some Tom Toms don't have enough internal memory to load US maps, so I guess I have to be careful with that one. The one I listed above can't take it for example..

The GO LIVE 750 seems ok though..

You sure about that? I have a US map pack for my IQ Routes edition it is a 2GB pack and besides having to remove my European maps for the duration of the holiday it worked fine.

I'd say a Sat Nav is invaluable when driving anywhere on holiday it really takes any stress out of getting around we pre configured favourites for hotels and places we planned to visit before we left the uk so we could literally pick the car up and go. Did the same thing in Aus this summer and it again worked brilliantly, plus it lets your passenger admire the views and make sure the music choice is appropriate rather than worrying about which turn off you need to take to get to that obscure beach you fancied stopping at for lunch.

Back
Top Bottom