Which version of Thermal Grizzly to use? Aeronaut, Kryonaut, Hydronaut

Associate
I was all set to order thermal grizzly paste today when I noticed that it comes in three variants; namely Aeronaut, Kryonaut and Hydronaut.

What's the difference? I need it for CPU and GPU waterblocks so what will be best for my application? And yes I will be overclocking.

Associate
Aeronaut is supposed to be for air, Hydronaut for water-cooling and Kryonaut for extreme performance/LN2. They're all pretty similar - I'm currently using Kryonaut on an AIO and I'm very happy with the performance. It's not a "thick" paste, so I found it easy to apply.

In the end it's just paste, so get whatever you fancy.

Associate
You'd be surprised how much is in a 1g tube. My 1g tube has done 3 applications so far on LGA2011-v3 processors, but those were all done using the rice grain method. If you're spreading it on the GPU dies, I'd be tempted to get the next size up just to make sure you have enough and don't run out.

Associate
I have problems getting an even spread thin with this stuff. as you spread it further it seems to come of the cpu and back onto the applicator. Maybe there is a good way of warming it up to help. Alternatively, I was thinking of trying a pea sized amount but split into three smaller dobs in a circle, prob end up looking like a V, but the idea they will spread to cover the entire square CPU, not just a large circle with edges not covered as would be with one pea sized dob in the middle.

Associate
OP
I have problems getting an even spread thin with this stuff. as you spread it further it seems to come of the cpu and back onto the applicator. Maybe there is a good way of warming it up to help. Alternatively, I was thinking of trying a pea sized amount but split into three smaller dobs in a circle, prob end up looking like a V, but the idea they will spread to cover the entire square CPU, not just a large circle with edges not covered as would be with one pea sized dob in the middle.

Pea method always works for me. I ordered Kryonaut and used peas size method for gpus and cpu. Yet to test the temperatures as I am leak testing the loop. :)

Associate
Pea method always works for me. I ordered Kryonaut and used peas size method for gpus and cpu. Yet to test the temperatures as I am leak testing the loop. :)

Im going to re do mine with the pea method. and see what the difference is. I have always done it that way before, however the instructions for this brand tell you to do a full spread. I like the idea of it covering the entire CPU, I often wonder if the pea is fully efficient when you take it of you notice a circle of coverage but not the entire square cpu. This is why im thinking that 3 of for very tiny dobs ( approx the amount of the standard pea amount divided) strategically placed when compressed will create smaller radii but combine to extend to the entire CPU.

Soldato
Aeronaut, Kryonaut and Hydronaut would love to see OcUK do a review of these three thermal pastes.

To see if there is any real difference.

Members all say it good paste, but did they note their ambient room temperature when recording CPU/GPU temperature.

Before using one of these pastes or could it be a placebo effect?

Associate
I found Kryonaut to be slightly less viscous and "pasty" than some of the other pastes I've used. E.g. it's definitely runnier than Prolimatech PK-1. I think that would make it easier to spread if you were to use the spreading method.

As for whether you actually get better results, I wouldn't like to say.

Soldato
Check on a Coke can before putting anywhere near your cooler or CPU. There was a bad batch of kryonaut that causes pitting and scratching and due to unchanged packaging and no printed batch numbers it's impossible to tell if you get sent one. There's a whole thread on it elsewhere on here.

Associate
If you use Kryo, be careful to avoid accidental spills/smears. Like wipe the tube just after use, don't move it around or above anything and all. You're probably not as clumsy as I am, but even I am not normally clumsy enough to spill paste around either.

Associate
Yeah, but I spilt it over the CPU socket and reached out with a swab before thinking (I can't get used to pins being on the mobo), with the very predictable result. Sigh. They very reason I went with Kryo was damage control, knowing it's non-conductive. But I didn't foresee that. (Or my own dumb reflexes trained on pins on CPUs, not on mobos.) Sigh.

Soldato
Yeah, but I spilt it over the CPU socket and reached out with a swab before thinking (I can't get used to pins being on the mobo), with the very predictable result. Sigh. They very reason I went with Kryo was damage control, knowing it's non-conductive. But I didn't foresee that. (Or my own dumb reflexes trained on pins on CPUs, not on mobos.) Sigh.

DAMN!!!!!:eek:

Soldato
I'm the opposite way around, I can't get used to pins on the CPU. My last build before X570 and AM4 was i7-870 s1156. Got to say pins on the mobo makes 2nd hand chip buying an easier prospect! Went from i3-540 to i7-870 courtesy of ebay. It arrived wrapped in some bubble wrap. Wouldn't fancy that with pins on the CPU!!

Back
Top Bottom