Which way to mount psu?

Man of Honour
Oh lord no. Fan out the back for sure.

Unless I'm mistaken uphillcastle is basically asking if you can flip the PSU 'upside down' for a case where the PSU is bottom mounted i.e. the fan is facing upwards rather than downwards in an ordinary PSU case. In which case the answer is yes, it will work fine although since heat rises it is generally better to have a PSU which also acts as an extraction fan at the top of the case but that's not an option here.

It's better to have the fan facing up and extracting some of the heat than have it facing downwards onto the metal of the case where it will do little to no good.

Soldato
You should have it facing down, that's why cases with PSUs on the bottom normally have a gap so the fan can suck cool air in. :)

Heat does rise so having it facing up is counter productive, depending on the speed of the PSU fan you'll either have heat rising into the case or sucking hot air into the PSU.

Associate
I have mine facing upwards drawing air off my WiFi card, I can't see how having it facing up is counter productive as it is drawing air from a point in my case where air is being provided by the flow from the front fans and the PSU really isnt getting warm at all.

Associate
You'll find that in almost all cases where the PSU is bottom mounted, there are other fans at the top pulling the warm air out.

Okay, so the PSU isn't doin't as much to remove the hot air.... but you're also not pulling hot air through the power supply. As supplies get more powerful they give out more heat themselves, and they're also usually more efficient at moderate temperatures. Start pumping 60degree air through it and it'll warm up itself, and you don't want that.

Soldato
That space they leave you at the bottom is not nearly nough room for a good supply of air to the psu.

Face the fan upwards, it pulls the air in from the case - through the psu - and out the back of the psu acting like another exaust fan.

/Thread :)

Soldato
That space they leave you at the bottom is not nearly nough room for a good supply of air to the psu.

Face the fan upwards, it pulls the air in from the case - through the psu - and out the back of the psu acting like another exaust fan.

/Thread :)

If you need another exaust fan buy one, don't use your PSU.

Heat will rise though moving air, a PSU fan isn't likely to make the air flow fast enough to counter heat energy released, particularly if you have a decent graphics card above it.

That gap is more than enough space for the air flow required by a PSU, air has a very low viscosity.

Associate
OP
<thanks for all the replies. i am just about to get a corsair 1000 so when i install it I will do exactly like the guy in the youtube vid and have the fan facing the insides of my computer. i have one in at the moment thats the opposite and the reason i need a new one is because the f@@ker is making ridiculous noises a bit like a hamster wimpering in there, especially when i move my mouse around in my 3d app. Driving me bonkers. So I thought i would go absolutely berserk and buy that monster one which is completely OTT> but now on YT i see that some people who have bought corsair psu's are having a similar problem. i tried going into the bios and adjusting something that somebody on here suggested about power management but to no avail...so maybe i just trust to luck and get a new psu?>end of rant

Back
Top Bottom