Which White Gloss?

Associate
I haven't had to gloss any woodwork for a good 4-5 years but the time has come that it needs doing. I have always been a fan of Dulux non drip gloss however, when looking up prices online I was alarmed at how many people were complaining saying it smells truly awful and turns yellowish white within a few months.

Someone commented that it is now missing a chemical that has been banned and that it isn't anywhere as good as it used to be. Some have suggested water based gloss, surely this isn't as hard wearing?

I just wondered what any of your experiences are, this is to paint skirting boards and door frames, the whiter the better.

Soldato
We previously painted all our windows and skirtings in Dulux white gloss and I was really disappointed with how well it lasted. Definitely yellows quite quickly and is especially noticeable if you have to touch up an area next to a bit that was painted a while earlier.

Have just tried using Eggshell white, which is more of a matt finish, but I'm much preferring the look over the previous gloss finish. Too early to say how well it'll wear though.

Associate
Dulux satin is good for skirting & architrave, but I find it dries far to quick to use on doors or larger areas. I've heard that the Johnsons aqua gloss is decent and doesnt yellow - Yet to try it myself though.

Associate
I painted our bedroom skirting in Dulux gloss, no lie I'm sure I could see it yellowing a few weeks later. It's about 2 years old now and looks as yellow like we smoke 40 a day in there. Since then I've binned the gloss idea off, the tin is still 90% full in the garage and I'll never use it again. Now I use Dulux satin wood. It smells slightly better, dries a lot quicker and actually stays white. This is the one - https://www.diy.com/departments/dul...tinwood-wood-metal-paint-2500ml/127240_BQ.prd

It still needs 2 coats in my experience. It says it can do one coat, but you'd need to put it on so thick it would run everywhere.

Soldato
When we moved into our house about 5 years ago we used Johnstone's water based white gloss and it still looks fine. It's been used on skirting as well as windowsills and it's all the same really. Pretty impressed given the horror stories about white glosses now.

Associate
We had our place done by some good decorating professionals a while back (first time i've ever paid someone to paint - expensive but in the end worth every penny in terms of quality of work and time taken).

The "pro's" were telling me that all they ever use now is water based gloss or satin for precisely the fact that it doesn't yellow anywhere near as quickly as the solvent based gloss. 18 months on and to be fair, the whites are still white both where we had gloss and satin done. I'm pretty sure they used Leyland as they left us the leftover paint tins.

The downside as already mentioned is that it definitely isn't as tough. In a few areas the gloss or satin has been "skinned" or grazed by the hoover. I think all that happened in the first 6 months so I did have to make some touch ups. Its more resilient now maybe after curing over 18 months.

Back
Top Bottom