Which would you go for (watch related sorry)?

Soldato
The more I read about watches and watch culture, the more I wonder how appropriate it is to have an expensive watch...

Having such a watch says a lot about a person, it requires an exquisite sense of taste and needs to demonstrate an exquisite understanding of money... and if a high quality watch is to be used properly then a person requires a lot before they should consider their watch.

Associate
Sorry but I would not choose any of them...Not my cup of tea, & way too many fakes around to make them even slightly exclusive.

Your cash though, enjoy which ever you choose :cool:

Wise Guy
Permabanned
cleanbluesky said:
The more I read about watches and watch culture, the more I wonder how appropriate it is to have an expensive watch...

Having such a watch says a lot about a person, it requires an exquisite sense of taste and needs to demonstrate an exquisite understanding of money... and if a high quality watch is to be used properly then a person requires a lot before they should consider their watch.
I'm not sure I understand you.

So far as I'm concerned, if you see a watch, like it, want it, and can afford it and are prepared to spend whatever it costs to buy it, then buy it. It shouldn't need an understanding of money. This, in my view, applies whether the watch is £100 or £100,000.

I've said I don't like Rolex, and that they seem to me to be a bit of a flashy status symbol for show-offs. That's part of the reason why I won't buy one. But it shouldn't stop anybody else if they like them and want one. It's up to all of us what we do with our money, and we all have individualistic tastes and priorities. If a watch, Rolex or whatever, is what does it for someone, then good luck to them.

I don't think an expensive watch requires any sort of understanding of money ... they just require a lot of it. :)

I suspect I'm missing your point.

Soldato
my rolex cost me 25 quid in shanghai...
unless someones a watch fan, in which case they wont be impressed by a rolex :o , then nobody can tell the difference..

Commissario
Youstolemyname said:
go for the sub, but with the black bezel. Green looks nasty.
I've never been keen on the way the LV Sub looks in pictures, but they don't do it justice. When you see one in the flesh so to speak it really does look nice. The green is a great twist to a classic watch.

Hence why I said the LV.

K.

Wise Guy
Permabanned
Balddog said:
my rolex cost me 25 quid in shanghai...
unless someones a watch fan, in which case they wont be impressed by a rolex :o , then nobody can tell the difference..
Personally, I'm not impressed by any watch. I might like it, or not like it, and that applies regardless of price, but I'm not impressed by it. An expensive watch is usually just a function of having money, and money doesn't mystically imbue anyone with taste, or style, or wisdom, or intelligence. It just means they're rich. I've met some very bright rich people, and some right plonkers. I've met some very nice, pleasant rich people, ... and some right ******* too. Rich people are just like poor people, except they've got money ..... and flashy watches. :)

Caporegime
Sequoia said:
Personally, I'm not impressed by any watch. I might like it, or not like it, and that applies regardless of price, but I'm not impressed by it. An expensive watch is usually just a function of having money, and money doesn't mystically imbue anyone with taste, or style, or wisdom, or intelligence. It just means they're rich. I've met some very bright rich people, and some right plonkers. I've met some very nice, pleasant rich people, ... and some right ******** too. Rich people are just like poor people, except they've got money ..... and flashy watches. :)

I hate to do this, but star out the sweary completly

Suspended
Sequoia said:
An expensive watch is usually just a function of having money, and money doesn't mystically imbue anyone with taste, or style, or wisdom, or intelligence

I had to work a very long time and very hard to afford my Rolex. It doesn't make me a better person, give me pull de birds or give me a massive IQ. But every day when I put on my watch It makes me feel special which is the most important thing. It's like everything, why drive a nice car, Why have an expensive stereo, why buy armani when george will do. It's all down to what you feel is special to you.

Soldato
Sequoia said:
Personally, I'm not impressed by any watch. I might like it, or not like it, and that applies regardless of price, but I'm not impressed by it. An expensive watch is usually just a function of having money, and money doesn't mystically imbue anyone with taste, or style, or wisdom, or intelligence. It just means they're rich. I've met some very bright rich people, and some right plonkers. I've met some very nice, pleasant rich people, ... and some right ******* too. Rich people are just like poor people, except they've got money ..... and flashy watches. :)

Im impressed when I see a beautiful or particularly stylish watch..whether it be a 20 grand jobbie or a 5 quid retro casio that fits someones outfit..

Ive never seen the need to buy expensive watches...but maybe thats because i dont wear watches, i dunno...I bought a fake rolex as a joke and the couple of times ive worn it (only because I couldnt carry my phone at the particular functions) its had the same effect a real one would.. :o

Not that id wear it if i could possibly avoid it. I have bought something else to wear in emergencies now :)

Wise Guy
Permabanned
Fatboy said:
I had to work a very long time and very hard to afford my Rolex. It doesn't make me a better person, give me pull de birds or give me a massive IQ. But every day when I put on my watch It makes me feel special which is the most important thing. It's like everything, why drive a nice car, Why have an expensive stereo, why buy armani when george will do. It's all down to what you feel is special to you.
Absolutely. People should buy what they want, provided they can afford and justify it, regardless of what anybody else thinks. And if you had to work long and hard for it, then that's even more true, because it means you REALLY wanted it.

As I said a while back ....
So far as I'm concerned, if you see a watch, like it, want it, and can afford it and are prepared to spend whatever it costs to buy it, then buy it.
I don't like Rolex, but the world would be a boring place if we all liked identical things. I probably like watches you don't.

If anyone gets pleasure from the things they have, then that's good, whatever those things may be, and whatever they cost.

Soldato
OP
well I finally got it, a few weeks late due to exams but its here
p1010791uo1.jpg

I got it from my local AD in Prague, Paid a couple of hundred over the uk list price (its higher in cz don’t know why) but they did tell me that i can have the next SS Daytona when it comes in :)

Back
Top Bottom