• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Who actually has an i5-8400?

Soldato
Got mine up and running. No problems handling the 3866MHz RAM just by enabling XMP, which is nice.

aidagplp5.png

It's a G.Skill Samsung B-die kit. I suspect any performance uplift probably wouldn't be worth the £250 or so it's currently going for normally.

Have to leave further tweaking and putting it through its paces properly for later, but first impressions are positive at least.

Soldato
That is absolutely smashing it in the games...especially BF1 which I am most interested about.

The review says the following:

The title in the single player does not put great demands on the processor, so you see very high values in the charts.

AFAIK,BF1 MP will probably be tested by places like Hardware Unboxed IIRC when they get their review out.

Associate
OP
It's only 1 sample size, but the video below is an i5-8400 with a stock intel cooler maintaining 3.8ghz all cores at reasonable temperatures. Uploader doesn't know what MCE is either, so we could assume it's off.

Soldato
MCE on the 8400 wouldn't do much anyway. Just takes it to 4ghz.

Its the 8700K and such which gets a massive overclock with MCE.

Associate
That's how MCE worked for years now, I had it on my old Z77 board. It's not something that should be turned on by default since the voltages it sets are fairly awful because they have to account even for the chips that lost the silicon lottery.

But it's pretty nice if you have a locked chip. I wonder if we'll get some BIOS versions with BCLK overclocking for locked chips, a few boards have clock generators on them.

Associate
OP
That's how MCE worked for years now, I had it on my old Z77 board. It's not something that should be turned on by default since the voltages it sets are fairly awful because they have to account even for the chips that lost the silicon lottery.

But it's pretty nice if you have a locked chip. I wonder if we'll get some BIOS versions with BCLK overclocking for locked chips, a few boards have clock generators on them.
You can BLCK overclock the 8400 at the moment, to around 102mhz. I think that translates to 3.9ghz all cores instead of 3.8ghz.

Soldato
Well MCE on the 8700K has been shown to definitely hit higher clocks.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3077-explaining-coffee-lake-turbo-8700k-8600k

It may be motherboard and bios specific as ultimately that is what controls overclocking.
I've had mine on both an ASRock Gaming K6 (which I returned after having issues) and now an Aorus Gaming 7, and MCE has had no effect on the 8400 on either. There have been no other reports of it boosting to 4GHz on all cores anywhere as far as I know, so it's pretty safe to say that Intel aren't allowing it to work on non-K chips. The Gigabyte board actually presents a whole load more options with it than the ASRock one, which hid almost all overclocking stuff with a non-K part. However, even manually setting the turbo ratios to 40x has no effect. However, you can overclock the uncore on the Gigabyte board (no option to on the ASRock). I set it to 4GHz, but the highest I've actually seen it hit is 3.7GHz. Still a decent bump from the default 2.8GHz though and it improves performance a few percent based on PC Gamer's review.

Associate
OP
I've had mine on both an ASRock Gaming K6 (which I returned after having issues) and now an Aorus Gaming 7, and MCE has had no effect on the 8400 on either. There have been no other reports of it boosting to 4GHz on all cores anywhere as far as I know, so it's pretty safe to say that Intel aren't allowing it to work on non-K chips. The Gigabyte board actually presents a whole load more options with it than the ASRock one, which hid almost all overclocking stuff with a non-K part. However, even manually setting the turbo ratios to 40x has no effect. However, you can overclock the uncore on the Gigabyte board (no option to on the ASRock). I set it to 4GHz, but the highest I've actually seen it hit is 3.7GHz. Still a decent bump from the default 2.8GHz though and it improves performance a few percent based on PC Gamer's review.
https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comm..._mce_on_will_it_do_4ghz_on_all_cores/dofc356/

Back
Top Bottom