• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Who actually has an i5-8400?

Soldato
I was pretty sure all are on 4.0 in game. Why would it show all at 4.0 in windows then 3.8 in game?

When I ran pass mark they all ran at 4.0?

Your screen shot shows the cores at 0% also shows mins at 3.8ghz.

Have a look at them again when they are doing something (not all at 0%).

Associate
Simple rule of thumb: more demanding tasks will keep it closer to 3.8Ghz (or lower if it's anything that uses AVX), light tasks that can use all 6 cores will get it closer to 4Ghz.

Caporegime
yes when i built my nephews pc, it did sometimes boost to 4.0ghz on all cores when all cores werent 100% loaded. An intense cpu benchmark made it drop to 3.8ghz all core though (where it held there). So basically all core boost is 3.8-4.0ghz dependent on the intensity of the work load.

Soldato
Isn't BCLK overclocking limited to 2-3%? Or is it like Skylake was before Intel forced motherboard manufacturers to lock down their BIOSs?

Yeah 3% on non k chips that's good for an extra 100Mhz. But you can still bclk k chips. It was just skylake where you could oc non k with a modified bios. Intel locked that down with kabylake.

Soldato
I can overclock the BCLK to 102.7MHz but doing so seems to disable turbo - ASRock Z370M Pro4. There's probably some random setting somewhere that would make it work, but I've not had chance to find it!

To confirm what others have said, it runs at 3.8GHz all cores minimum at all times... usually it goes 1C: 4.0GHz, 2-4C: 3.9GHz, 5-6C: 3.8GHz, or combination depending on load. It will sometimes show many/all cores at 4GHz but the moment there is any load they will drop to 3.9 or 3.8.

Soldato
I just followed @RavenXXX2 instructions and set it to 102.7 reloaded my xmp and it worked straight away now I have an extra 100mhz on the turbo and an extra 100 on the min.

Thanks Raven

Last edited:
Soldato
I can overclock the BCLK to 102.7MHz but doing so seems to disable turbo - ASRock Z370M Pro4. There's probably some random setting somewhere that would make it work, but I've not had chance to find it!

To confirm what others have said, it runs at 3.8GHz all cores minimum at all times... usually it goes 1C: 4.0GHz, 2-4C: 3.9GHz, 5-6C: 3.8GHz, or combination depending on load. It will sometimes show many/all cores at 4GHz but the moment there is any load they will drop to 3.9 or 3.8.

All I did is set the cores manually to 4ghz then raise the blck to 102.7 and you will have minimums of 3.9 and turbo 4.1

Back
Top Bottom