Who am I? Who are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
interrupt said:
i'm into computers, gaming, MSN, music, impulse buying, the prospect of piercing and tattoos, pointing and laughing at all the scene kids, 80s sunglasses, films, playing the guitar and other such sociable habits.
Go ahead point see if they care, well they might cry and write a few poems about it ;)
I hate the term 'scene' it's not like you wake up one day and decide to become 'scene' well i didn't and i've been accused of being 'scene' many times.

Associate
Perturabo:

I am David, 20 years old (21 at the end of June!). I am a student at Nottingham Trent University studying Software Engineering, although I am living in Reading to complete my industrial placement. I won't say where because I'd have to act responsibly (I think I do, but I'd hate for any of my opinions to be taken as the companys line).

I did okayyyy at GCSEs and A Levels, nothing special. However I'm borderline first in my degree. I'm your typical guy in that I am obsessed by the war (and have immense respect for all the veterans of the war. My Grandma was caught between the Germans and the Russians in Poland and was one of the many people who were basically forced to workcamp conditions and almost starved. Lost both her parents and 7 brothers. Don't know much about it, she's quiet about it. Must find a book on it...

Passed my driving test a month ago first time :D. I don't have the most exciting past, but I try and pride myself on being a good person, and I'm still waiting to meet that special lady. I'm not really looking at the moment though (no really :p).

Worked at Games Workshop for 2 years, was immense fun and so that's still one of my hobbies. Big fan of paintballing now too, and strategy games for the PC. I read a lot of Science Fiction, although I'm trying to break into more general fiction. Favourite film is probably Goodfellas - I love the way you hate Tommy at the end of it.

My future? Get my degree, maybe go back to my mystery company, or maybe move into development (programming) work.

Soldato
Garry. 31 years old. 6ft3". Taurus.

Spent the first 6 years of my life in Sheldon (Birmingham) before moving to Solihull. Left school after GCSEs and went straight into work as a graphic designer. I did this for around 8 years then got fed up and quit to go traveling with my friends (USA and Canada mainly).

Came back and did some dead-end jobs and generally bummed around. Got into online gaming at this point (Quake2, Q3A) which I pretty much lived and breathed for a couple of years.

Met an American girl who was studying at Warwick Uni through an on-line dating site (which I had totally forgotten I had joined....it's a whole other story...), fell in love and got married about 6 months after meeting.

Moved to Leamington Spa and worked as a supervisor in retail for a couple of years, which I actually enjoyed quite a lot. Got kicked out of our rented house in August 2004 and realised we couldn't afford to live in England as first time buyers - so decided to move to my wife's home-town of Madison, Wisconsin, USA, for a fresh start.

We lived back with my parents for a few months while my visa was processed. Finally got here to the US at the end of January 2005. Now we're living with my wife's parents (not as bas as it sounds, I promise!) until we get ourselves sorted with a house. No job for me yet (although I had a 2nd interview at a place yesterday which I'm hopeful about), but I've been helping out an animal welfare group with their computers (what a mess).The wife works as an admin assistant and she's also an artist and sells her work to bring in a bit more money.

I like cats, Bill Bailey, Star Wars and eating Chinese food. I don't like spiders or tree-huggers :)

That about covers it I think :)

Associate
YOZZER2001 - I am brian ,born 21/02/1970 9:25am sefton general liverpool.Moved to Skelmersdale on 9th march 1973.
Moved out of mums (FRIDAY)13 november 1995 into own house with then girlfriend Linda .Met Linda 16 july 1993 got engaged 23 aug 1997,got married 1st june 2001 and now first baby due 16 july 2005(12 years to day we met).
As you can tell left school with ungraded in english cse (lang and litt),but with o level in maths and physics
As said at start i am YOZZER2001
As you can see never miss dates

Soldato
I'm joe, i live in london and i am 14 years old. Im currently in year 9 -coming up to year 10 (so no GCSE's just yet!) :) (Am i the youngest on the forums?!)

I spend quite a lot of my time on computers, as i enjoy them. I also like buying/selling components :)

I moved to spain when i was 9, lived there for 3 and a half years and came back half way through when i was 11. I can speak fluent spanish :) Aswell as english of course, and some french.

Thats about it really :D havent got a job,...yet ;)

Soldato
Blinkz - Chris. I'm going out in sec but I'll do a quick low down, maybe added detail later.

Was born in 1981 in Tokyo Japan. My dad works for Shell and as such we moved around a lot. Moved back the UK when I was one so I have no memory of it, tho I really want to go back. In 1984 I moved to South Africa. My sister was born here in 1985, altho we left in 1988 due to the problems there. We moved back to the UK where I spent most of my schooling. In 1992 the family moved to Kenya, although I was at a boarding school and so became a boarder their, spending all my holidays in Kenya. The boarding school was Lord Wandsworth college, which is where jonny wilkenson (spl?) went and I've played rugby with him, tackled him etc. Got 9 GCSEs and 3 Alevels there and went to the University of Edinburgh in 1999 to study computer science and management. In 2000 the famly moved back to the UK. I never really enjoyed my degree, I only chose it since I thought it was what I wanted to do. I had had my heart set on flying in the RAF however due to eyesight I was unable to. For some reason (still not sure why) I thought that this meant that I wouldn't be able to fly commercial and so with a broken heart chose computer science as a career to follow (I had a vague interest in them) The degree wasn't fun, far more theortical then I wanted so struggled. Whilst at uni I flew in the gliding club a lot and became the president in 2003. It was around this time that I found out that my eyesight wasn't such a big problem with flying commerically and so my dream of a flying career was once again relit. Manged to somehow pass my honours year and get a 3rd. In 2002 the family moved to Houston Texas, so that was fun to visit in my uni vacations.

After graduation I started pilot training full time. I stayed in Edinburgh to fly from the airport, and my gf is still at uni there (we've been together for just over a year and a half) I have reciently got my PPL and am about to start the commerical groundschool. The family returned from Houston in 2004 and we now live in Hampshire near basingstoke. I have just moved home to contiunue my studies as its cheaper :)

I think thats everything lol. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Soldato
Garp - My name is Paul.

I'm 24, born on the 8th of December 1980, the very same day John Lennon was murdered. I have one older sister, who's 26. I was born and raised in Stratton in Gloustershire, raised there until I was 7, when we moved down south to Haywards Heath where I have lived ever since. Waltzed through the whole school thing putting minimal effort in, and coming out with reasonable grades all things considered (mainly Bs). Only main issues being suffering from bullying all the time, in part due to my height (5'4" when I left secondary school) and part due to geekyness. Eventually overcame this by learning the ancient art of sarcasm, and by learning to turn insults back around on the insulter so that they made fools of themselves infront of their mates. Neat and effective. I started Judo when I was 14 and this gave me a good sense of self, and an odd breed of self-confidence when you consider I'm by nature self-depreciative. I'm confident I can do anything if I try, and I go out and do stuff purely on that strength, but at the same time tend to belittle the value of anything I've done. Odd mix, but hey.
Got to college, had my growth spurt and reached 6', became a more social animal, and failed to realise that I couldn't waltz through the exams. Whilst I put all the effort in in the run up to them, after strong mock results I slacked before the actuals, and my results suffered. Before I'd even sat the exams I was seriously wondering about Uni, and I decided I'd try and get some work experience before I headed off see if I enjoyed working instead.
Loved it, and after 2 days temping for a CD Wholesalers, who threw everything they could at me to see how I'd react, I was offered a job as IT Controller, which I took. Nice amounts of responsibility in that position, I oversaw the continued running of the central sales / stock / accounting server, and oversaw the replacement of it with a newer more reliable version (after I pointed out how much downtime we had on the old one).
After a year and a half of it I got tired of the job and moved on to work for a 6th form college as a network technician, where I still work 4 years and 5 months on. I still love the work, it presents new challenges regularly. I'm currently studying for my CCNA, and for LPI qualifications, to stand me in good stead for future work prospects. I still live at home with both my parents and am furiously saving money to use as a deposit on a house. Houses in the south are rediculously priced (£110k for a 1 bedroom flat?!), and ultimately I'll be looking to move away from here into a region where it won't bankrupt me to have a property!

Thats one part of my life covered. The other main part of my life is something some people here will value and others will deride, but I don't care. I'm a Christian. Although raised in a christian family, I never actually attended church until I was 8. Sang in the church choir from when I was 8 till I was 22, managing to sing every part on the way, from descant right down to bass, and then into my now normal Baritone register. I also sang in the West Sussex County Boys Choir for a period of time and even did a two week tour of Florida. But I digress. I was part of a good christian youth group for a while, from 13 till I was 19, where we did bible studies and the like. That gave me a fairly solid foundation for my faith. When I was 16 I got involved in a new project called Cords headed up by our local YWAM base (Youth With A Mission, an international christian missionaries group.) The initial aim was to provide a monthly non-denominational worship event for youth in the area for the first 6 months of the year, and it took off phenomenally, due to a combination of things and Gods blessings. The timing couldn't have been better for me, and I discovered more about active faith in those first 6 months than I'd learnt in 8 years of regular church attendance. My time in the youthgroup gave me the every day life stuff I needed, and a good theological understanding, but Cords gave me stuff that was entirely practical. I learnt about the Holy Spirit properly for the first time in my life (I'd never heard about the Holy Spirit in any teaching form before then, never realised just how significant a part of God it actually is.) I discovered something else that has redifined my life as well. Modern worship. Not organs and hymns and stuff, not even Graham Kendrick or Christians with rainbow coloured guitar straps. I discovered worship that was in a form of music I love. Irrelevant, boring, meaningless hymns got thrown away as I discovered a way of worship that has meaning for me.
At the end of the 6 months a team of 8 of us went out to the Czech Republic for 10 days to work with a local church. Primarily this involved painting it, but there were other stuff we did for them.
When I came back I was a totally changed person, the end of the transformation from the pre-Cords me. I gained a peace I'd never known, a sense of joy of life that I still struggle to restrain, and a passion for Christ that is ever undiminished. In the years following I went to the Ukraine to work with a Ywam base there, working at orphanages, soup kitchens for the poor and stuff, and was part of a key change in the town where we went. Our team came across this shop and went in curious as to what it was selling. The shop manager heard us speaking in english, and ukrainian with atrocious accents, and started chatting to us in fairly good English. As a consequence of that we met up with him several times whilst we were there and he eventually gave his life to christ, and our team leader gave his own study bible to him (desipte it having 15+ years of personal study notes in it.) A year later we were preparing to go to Albania when one of the YWAMers explained the signfiicance of this one blokes conversion. He was an ex government worker of some authority, and he pulled several major strings to allow the YWAM base to officially start some major youth projects which has got kids of the streets and given them a purpose in life, and helped cut down on street crime. All from one guy in a random shop, and all because he heard us speaking English and wanted to practice his English on us.
Albania was an eye opener for me. We went completely out into the sticks and I saw a most truly beautiful country. Probably one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen in my life. Its such a shame that the people are so embittered against the world. Yet another former communist state, they succesfully overthrew the government, elected a new one who then proceeded to advise them to put their money in pyramid schemes as they were 'safe'. Stupid idiots. Most of the little money that was left in the country rapidly exited with the people at the top of the pyramid, leaving the country even poorer than it was before. The are I went to had 90% unemployment, and this is in a country with no welfare system. The families were dependent on kids they'd sent abroad to work to send money back to them. All the coal mines, despite sitting on rich veins, were shut down at the end of communism in the early 90s and only recently have I heard that some businessmen are trying to get them back and running again using the local skilled labourers.
The next year I went to Marseille with a worship team and had probably the most fun I've had. Those guys are truly blessed musicians, and we spent the whole 10 days out busking, and the like, just worshipping God and stuff. We achieved something the church has never achieved before, even with other worship teams that came down. Marseille has a high muslim population, and on a couple of evenings whilst playing down at the docks, we actually had some of the muslims clapping and playing bongo's along with us, even though after every couple of songs we'd explain who we were and what we were doing. They'd never even got so much as a hello out of the muslims before, and yet here we were playing with them, joking with them (a couple of team members speak fairly fluent french) and the like. Really fantastic stuff.

Woah.. I really should stop typing. Already said more than I intended to :D

Suspended
Okay, I'll bite. (Edit: I made it longer :/)

I'm 21 now. It doesn't seem like that long ago that I was celebrating my 18th. Hell, it seems like yesterday that I was rolling up to university for the first time, and now I'm less than a month away from graduation. There is only one conclusion to be drawn from this: time sucks balls.

I guess I had a pretty easy childhood compared to most. My parents were both fantastic when I was young, taking time out to encourage me to read, be creative and play sports. I was never one of the super cool kids, but I always had a few good friends who I'd hang around with, and discuss geek stuff. You know - comics, video games, RPGs, that sort of thing. Lessons bored me, and I always got into the deep stuff for not having done my homework, or for not paying attention when I should have been. It wasn't until I was fifteen that I got a teacher who was prepared to let me study things that interested me, rather than the brain-numbing stuff that the national curriculum wants you to do. Cheers, Mrs Appleyard!

I was brought up as a Christian from when I was about four years old, but quickly grew pretty apathetic about it. I continued going to church because my parents dragged me along until I was fifteen or so, but I couldn't understand how people would swallow the rubbish that they'd use to try and indoctrinate you in sunday school. I always wanted them to be straight with us, but they never would.

I was still pretty geeky as we were going into VI form, and still pretty bored with my lessons. That changed when I met a guy called Adrien, who'd transfered to our school to study A Levels. We hung around together because we were in most of the same classes, and he had a pretty lax attitude to work as well. I started going round to his with a few other people in my year, and we'd just sit there, get drunk and play games that seventeen year olds play when they're drunk. I had my first proper hangover after a night drinking at Ad's. We started trying to blag our way into bars in the evenings, and then started skiving off lessons to go down the pub instead, with a bunch of other people we'd become friends with. I later learnt that this was what cool people did, and all of a sudden I found myself being considered 'cool'. This took me by surprise, as people who hadn't even noticed me for the past five years (apart from being 'the clever one') would come up and start talking to me.

Around the same time, I started getting heavily into music. I'd borrowed a few albums from my Physics teacher, Mr Thomas, and really enjoyed listening to Pink Floyd. I branched out into Led Zeppelin, Rush, King Crimson, then The Doors, Bob Dylan, J. J. Cale, and before I knew it I was listening to Radiohead, Portishead and Goldfrapp. At some point I started buying the NME, and got heavily into The Strokes, The Cooper Temple Clause, The Libertines et al. By the end of year 13 I was spending every pound I earned on more records and I was the most widely listened kid in school, which gives you a lot of cred in the 'grunge' crowd.

I also took some exams at some point, passed them all with flying colours, and got accepted to study Maths at Trinity College, Cambridge. This was mostly due to my Maths teacher, Mr Roberts (cool teacher number 3!) who'd taken his degree here as well. Leaving all of the friends I'd made over the past two years was the scariest thing I'd had to do at that point, but I dealt with it by getting trashed every night of the first term, and somehow came out of it with a gang of new friends, who were the best friends I'd ever had in my life. These included the person who was to become my current girlfriend (after a year of fagging around and not being straight with each other). Hurrah for Sarah :)

I spent most of my first two years at uni in a similar vein - getting drunk, making friends and not doing any work whatsoever. I took advantage of the spare time I had by reading books about morality, religion and ideologies. I still love debating stuff like that - it gets me all excited. This was also about the time that I decided it was time to cast my beliefs in cement, and I became resolutely atheist. All this fun and games wasn't to last though - the real world came knocking when I only just scraped a third for my second year exams. I came to realise that I'd left those halcyon days of not having to work to do well far, far behind! They take that kind of thing quite seriously at Cambridge, and I was dragged up in front of a committee of Professors who pretty much told me that if I didn't start performing better, I'd be kicked out.

That brings us up to speed - I did start working for this year, and as a result I'm heading for a 2:i when I take my exams (in four days!) and hopefully staying on to do postgrad study. I still see most of my old friends from home - not as often as I'd like, but I make the effort to go out and get drunk with them three or four times every vacation. I've even made more friends than I had when I was at school - apparently intelligence is something that garners more respect when you're older. I'm still heavily into music as well - I spent quite a lot of time and money posting on practising my instruments, music message boards (still a geek really!), buying records and going to gigs. When at gigs, I like to point and laugh at kids who try really hard to be 'scene'. They make me laugh.

I also play the piano, harmonica and occasional guitar, write bits and pieces for the student newspaper, read about mathematics and philosophy, get drunk too often, rant about politics and music, go punting, get loud and angry about the environment, and bait conservatives. Ironically, I'm beginning to doubt my atheist beliefs. At the moment I'm somewhere in between atheism and agnositicism, but can see the appeal of a kind of 'philosophical theism' where you don't take a strictly materialist or humanitarian point of view, but accept that there probably is something nonphysical out there that may or may not be beyond our understanding. I like films that deal with desperation and bleakness, books that deal with nihilism and death, and computer games that deal with post-apocalyptic, survival-of-the-species type scenarios. Also, I'm spending a lot of time honing my Mario Kart 64 skills to a fine art. That is all.

Last edited:
Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Some interesting histories coming out in this thread from people, certainly makes an interesting read and opened my eyes a bit more to a few people :)

Man of Honour
Haly said:
Some interesting histories coming out in this thread from people, certainly makes an interesting read and opened my eyes a bit more to a few people :)

Agreed - definitely one for the archives later. Shame people like me only put about 4 lines and don't go in depth :p

Associate
tzang - Albert

I'm 22 and was born in Newham, London in 1982. A month after I was born, my parents moved into a flat (maisonette) in south Islington, London where I've been living since.

Life has been full of surprises but has gone downhill after my sporting career came to an end. Football ended after damaging an ankle ligament which took 8 months to heal in 1998, I can still feel discomfort on the ankle if I stand or drive for too long. After attempting to pursue a badminton career, where I created and led my college team in October 1999 to an unbeaten run until November 2000, an awkward fall left my right wrist having a torn ligament. A full recovery in March 2001 did not help as I could never find my badminton "swing" again.

Education started off well, got great GCSEs, okay A Levels but got kicked out of university due to my strong views and arrogance at the time (which I have overcome, I think :D) as well as family problems. I went off to pursue my career in network/technical support and was employed at Phones 4U (for the wrong reasons), learning a great deal about customer services to help develop my career path. I soon left to take on Microsoft Certifications to boost my career although I've yet to start on a proper technical support job (even Spie doesn't want me :p).

Currently I'm a freelance engineer, solving IT problems when people call for my help. Web design, photography and composing/mixing music falls into my agenda on a daily basis as well as admiring photography and music produced by others. I'm also into cars but I drive a Fiat :o

Associate
Hiann: I'm Helen and I'm 31. Married to Kieron (Goreblast). Born in Belfast but moved to a town called Bangor (about 15 miles from Belfast) when I was 8.
Have 1 brother. Mum and dad retired. I'm a pharmacist at a local hospital. Studied at queens University in Belfast and did my pre-reg year with Boots.
I recently went to the San Marino Grand Prix which was excellent but I really need a hot holiday somewhere.... (Kieron's bound to read this...).

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Freefaller said:
Agreed - definitely one for the archives later. Shame people like me only put about 4 lines and don't go in depth :p

All to do with how much you want to put really ;) I know I could have gone more in depth if I'd tried :)
Definitely archive material :D

Man of Honour
Drawoh Tesremos said:
Nowhere near.

I'll join in now I'm not the oldest.

Born in Nigeria 1958. Came to England but mummy and daddy went back to Nigeria in 1974 and between the ages of 16 and 20 I had to live on my own in a big bungalow. During those early years my dad taught me different instruments and I gigged with him but it wasn't until I was 12 that I realised what I was actually doing believe it or not.
I started an Engineering Apprenticeship in 74 and came out with an ONC in Engineering 5 years later. Also in 74 I met my wife and we're still together. This year we've been married 25 years and have two girls age 16 and 18. During the late 70's/early 80's I travelled all over Europe with bands and I lived in Clermont Ferrand, France for a year in 79/80. I also owned recording studios and worked with PA companies.
My interest in computers started in 1980 with the ZX80 and its been a rollercoaster ever since. Since 1980 I've worked at A large Domestic Appliance Company and I'm now the Quality Audit Technician which is like being a policeman and everybody hates me.
Highlights of my life include doing six parachute jumps and doing 8 marathons. For the last five years I've been playing in the best rock band I've ever been in and life is good. Other interests include satellite TV with my big dish and football. Has a youngster I played for Stoke City Schoolboys and my best mate was Garth Crooks.

Suspended
I've just been through and read everyone's - some of them are pretty interesting. I read Haly's short bio with a fair whack of curiosity.

My favourite so far is DJ_Jestar's.

Morlam seems to have the dullest life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom