who can work out this problem?????

Associate
So I have a bit of a strange problem! wondering if any of you might know the answer??

when I press the start button on my case it takes about 10 seconds for it to even register to turn the PC on? I thought it must be the PSU on its way out so purchased a new one, but it still does exactly the same thing, you can hear the click when it starts! the only thing I have done since this problem started was remove the CPU and clean it and change CPU cooler from a Noctua d15 back to an old Bequiet dark rock pro 4 - it did reset the bios because it said new CPU installed so could it be an option in there?

The spec in case it makes any difference are:
5900x
asus hero x570 mobo
32gb 8 pack ram
asus tuff 3080

please someone help its driving me mad lol

Associate
Heya Griffin, that does sound annoying. Nice system though and I'm sure there's a resolution!

Q1: Do the lights / fans turn on immediately when you press the power button?
Q2: Have you tried manually shorting the two pins which signal a power on to the motherboard (same two pins which the 'Power SW' front panel cables connect to)

Associate
OP
Heya Griffin, that does sound annoying. Nice system though and I'm sure there's a resolution!

Q1: Do the lights / fans turn on immediately when you press the power button?
Q2: Have you tried manually shorting the two pins which signal a power on to the motherboard (same two pins which the 'Power SW' front panel cables connect to)

Thanks for the reply.

A1:No nothing turns on till I hear the click of the psu and then everything comes to life as it should.

A2: No I havent but The motherboard has a start button on it and it also does it when pressing this exactly the same as it does when you press the on button on the case

Associate
OP
Yeah this :) in theory if it's delaying then the contact isn't a 100% ie bent pin/themal paste or maybe even too much pressure with the cooler ?

Ok thanks for the info guys. I will have a look some time, cba with it right now as it means taking the motherboard out again to put the DR4P back on as its a bugger to get the fan clips on in the case and I've done it the last 2 days running, but I will check for bent pins or thermal past on them when I'm bored:p
probably next week

Soldato
Ok thanks for the info guys. I will have a look some time, cba with it right now as it means taking the motherboard out again to put the DR4P back on as its a bugger to get the fan clips on in the case and I've done it the last 2 days running, but I will check for bent pins or thermal past on them when I'm bored:p
probably next week

Yeah let us all know how you get on next week mate. :)

Associate
Not really going to help you but I have what sounds like the same problem on my old 2008 MacPro.

F what you’ve described it sounds identical - I push the power button on the front and nothing happens for a good few seconds then a click and it boots up. Does the same thing every time. But always starts eventually.

I just put it down to a bad capacitor somewhere due to its age.

Soldato
Build it outside the case with the barebone essentials(CPU/RAM/motherboard) and if the issue is still reproduced you'll have the issue isolated to those core components (PSU aside unless you've tested for that to).

Given what you've said though, i'd get in and check the CPU pins and make sure they're 100% (no need to panic, you can ease them back into place if they're off - confident but gentle).

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Build it outside the case with the barebone essentials(CPU/RAM/motherboard) and if the issue is still reproduced you'll have the issue isolated to those core components (PSU aside unless you've tested for that to).

Given what you've said though, i'd get in and check the CPU pins and make sure they're 100% (no need to panic, you can ease them back into place if they're off - confident but gentle).

Its not the psu 100|% as I just purchased a new one as I thought that's what the problem was, PC works fine when its running no issues at all. I think I might have got a bit of paste on a pin I don't think I bent any as was careful with it, but I tried out some new thermal paste and it was messy hard to clean off stuff and I did get some on my finger tips cleaning it all off. So maybe I got a tiny bit on a pin perhaps? I will take the cpu out at some point and have a look at it.

Back
Top Bottom